Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I couldn’t find a better thread for this, but

Normally, this is a bad sign for a team. However, when you have a low-rated offense and defense, you're really looking for either massive improvement or new starters to take over. No surprise, we're looking for a sea change in performance on both sides of the ball this year.

It COULD be addition by subtraction but I am of the firm belief that last year's team was Geoff's best hope at turning his program around. That team had the most returning talent and a true superstar in Gibbs. At one point we were 3-3 and had come within a whisker of being 5-1 as both the Northern Illinois and Clemson games should have been won. Coach Collins reminds me of that character in the old "Lil Abner" cartoons that would go around with his head down and a cloud spitting out lightning hanging over his head. Such is the life of coaches and programs living on the edge all the time. Sooner or later the breaks go against you and it snowballs into a debacle that will take years to clean up. On a more positive note, the Coastal is, as always, in a state of chaos with a bunch of teams losing lots of players. I did not think UVA would have as many coming back as they do. I see possibilities in being competitive with UVA, Virginia Tech, UNC, and of course, Duke. Could win 3 of those 4 and it helps that Virginia Tech and Duke will be breaking in new coaches.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m 52 years old and have seen enough to know that in the ACC coastal the only thing that really matters is having a functional QB. I’ve seen top coaches lose to rookie coaches and I’ve seen favored teams lose to teams with little chance. Last years team was just bad. We’ve all tried to analyze why, but there is no one answer. It just didn’t work. I don’t expect much this coming season but I do know one thing - the coastal is wide open and we have just as a good a chance as any other team because all of us are in the category of “mediocre”. I actually feel ok about this years team. My personal belief is we had too many players (not Gibbs) who were of the “me first” attitude who are now gone. I like the players we have coming back.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
II don't compleetely disagree, but Pitt, Miami, and UNC look like the teams that will fight it out for the Coastal title this year. VPI could be a spoiler and Virginia looks like they are about where we are. Only Duke is below us. So, IMO we have three certain losses, one probable loss, one maybe win, and one certain/probable win. OOC we have WCU for a win. Miss, UCF, & uga for losses. I don't think we will win any of those three. In the crossover games, we will lose to Clemson and probably FSU. Where am I wrong. This is not going to be easy.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
It COULD be addition by subtraction but I am of the firm belief that last year's team was Geoff's best hope at turning his program around. That team had the most returning talent and a true superstar in Gibbs. At one point we were 3-3 and had come within a whisker of being 5-1 as both the Northern Illinois and Clemson games should have been won. Coach Collins reminds me of that character in the old "Lil Abner" cartoons that would go around with his head down and a cloud spitting out lightning hanging over his head. Such is the life of coaches and programs living on the edge all the time. Sooner or later the breaks go against you and it snowballs into a debacle that will take years to clean up. On a more positive note, the Coastal is, as always, in a state of chaos with a bunch of teams losing lots of players. I did not think UVA would have as many coming back as they do. I see possibilities in being competitive with UVA, Virginia Tech, UNC, and of course, Duke. Could win 3 of those 4 and it helps that Virginia Tech and Duke will be breaking in new coaches.
I view the northern Illinois game very similarly to the tennessee game a few years ago. A loss like that in a game that should have been won to start the season can really make the wheels fall off.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I view the northern Illinois game very similarly to the tennessee game a few years ago. A loss like that in a game that should have been won to start the season can really make the wheels fall off.
I lament in retrospect last year's team suffered from a sense of entitlement. When things didn't go their way the team didn't own up to it and instead of galvanizing as a team, sunk into a funk of this can't be...I believe this reflects on the coach as he coddled their egos rather than rallying them to prove themselves by earning each victory with intensity, hard work and team work not finger pointing...sad

Tmcduffie16

Georgia Tech Fan
No way to spin it - a miracle is needed to win 6 games. Some significant luck will be required to win 5. I still think 4 is as high as it goes, and even that will require some inspired play.

It is not impossible for a sinking ship to survive, but it is rare.
I would be very very surprised if we don’t win 7 games this season…..716 2 the 404 watch the work!

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
II don't compleetely disagree, but Pitt, Miami, and UNC look like the teams that will fight it out for the Coastal title this year. VPI could be a spoiler and Virginia looks like they are about where we are. Only Duke is below us. So, IMO we have three certain losses, one probable loss, one maybe win, and one certain/probable win. OOC we have WCU for a win. Miss, UCF, & uga for losses. I don't think we will win any of those three. In the crossover games, we will lose to Clemson and probably FSU. Where am I wrong. This is not going to be easy.
I agree there are tiers but the Coastal is so bad that the tiers don’t matter much - see our UNC game last year where for one 3 hour stretch we played great and they sucked. I don’t expect GT to be in the mix and agree that Pitt, Miami, and UNC should be the main 3 but I also expect every team to have at least 2 losses which means going into late October every team will still be in it. Just like every year lately. The problem we have is our coach has shown zero ability to game plan which puts us at the mercy of the random football gods. Hopefully Long is our savior.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of fans who are bad fans--and it is usually due to ignorance. Why do they get on this board and advertise their ignorance?
Folks getting on here and saying things like Collins' recruits aren't very good or the worst coaching in Tech history are in the same category of ignorance.
The bad fans have already left. The only ones left are the hardcore ones that really, really care. Some are extremely pissed at the direction fo the program, some like me are in a state of malaise knowing the end is likely near but have varying degrees of an open mind, a rare few are positive or optimistic. Some are just flat out wait and see, very cautious with the new staff members but basically having written off the season already ready for a restart.

Sorry, if you don't realize we're historically bad, but when you're #13 out of 13 and by a large margin, you're historically bad. He has to go 8-5 to match Lewis, if he goes 12-2 he passes Curry.

Tmcduffie16

Georgia Tech Fan
Chip is a outstanding coach’ Sims have the ability to be a TOP 5 QB also with the addictions to the OL with some already promising young wideouts will put us in a position to win 80 percent of our games.. game plan simple… 1st downs… clock control…TD’s = Wins. Just come back in 5 months and look at the post….🤷🏿‍♂️

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I like Mcduffies optimism as well. The problem is his post is so last off season. Many of us were on the optimism train last off season. Then the season happened. I’d love for our QB to show up but last year was the most disappointing QB play we’ve had in a long time. Other than the UNC game the QB position was a dead spot. I like a lot of our pieces (RB’s and WR’s) but our QB has proved very little on the college level. It’s year 3. Most guys don’t get 3 years to prove it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I like Mcduffies optimism as well. The problem is his post is so last off season. Many of us were on the optimism train last off season. Then the season happened. I’d love for our QB to show up but last year was the most disappointing QB play we’ve had in a long time. Other than the UNC game the QB position was a dead spot. I like a lot of our pieces (RB’s and WR’s) but our QB has proved very little on the college level. It’s year 3. Most guys don’t get 3 years to prove it.
Reggie Ball got four years starting as a freshman and completed 51% of his passes. He never reached those heights again in his career. He had a bunch of TD passes...and very nearly the same number of interceptions. Too bad he didn't play for Coach Johnson, he would have made a great option quarterback with proper coaching.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
A strong back up QB is present that is pushing for starts...there is no time for Sims to work through mistakes, putting the defense in an untenible position. If your job (CGC's) is in the balance...I assume if Sims turns the ball over recklessly, ( as been his trend) he will get the hook and tech goes with the transfer...we will see early if a change in approach is recognized as is warranted or we play out the season and clear house. Hope for the best, plan for the worst ...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was thumbing thru this thread and there's some very ardent fans that seem to avoid going "on the record". Is it that hard to do or are there other reasons some avoid going "on the record" like they really don't believe what they're posting?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was thumbing thru this thread and there's some very ardent fans that seem to avoid going "on the record". Is it that hard to do or are there other reasons some avoid going "on the record" like they really don't believe what they're posting?
Some are reticent about placing their head on a solid block when, standing nearby, a man is holding a very sharp ax.

JacketFan137

Banned
A strong back up QB is present that is pushing for starts...there is no time for Sims to work through mistakes, putting the defense in an untenible position. If your job (CGC's) is in the balance...I assume if Sims turns the ball over recklessly, ( as been his trend) he will get the hook and tech goes with the transfer...we will see early if a change in approach is recognized as is warranted or we play out the season and clear house. Hope for the best, plan for the worst ...
i think one of the things collins will regret is not aggressively pursuing a transfer QB year 1/2 that could start. sims i think has great potential but was thrust into the spotlight too early. while that may have been the recruiting pitch that convinced him to join i think he needed some time on the bench for at least a year.

up until this point he has had no one even in the same stratosphere of athlete so while benching him may have proved a point and satisfied some angry fans in different games like syracuse his freshman year, it hurt the team so much. now gibson looks like a guy who can at least look competent (although his stats and production at akron were underwhelming) and pyron was highly touted coming out of high school. we can afford to bench sims in a game and get actual real production unlike whatever you call last year while he was out injured

slugboy

Staff member
Some are reticent about placing their head on a solid block when, standing nearby, a man is holding a very sharp ax.
There’s also the “new coaches can turn this around and we can win 7” possibility versus the “we keep winning 3 with this head coach” possibility, which leads to some people picking the “I’ll average and pick 5” choice. The season could go in different directions, so if you guessed wrong or even hedge your bets, you look bad when one of the extreme cases happens.