Glad you asked

Animal02

Banned
And never any reason to expand your focus, or grow, or think outside the box. That would be to, to ... human. To innovative or industrious. To smart. To helpful to your state, neighbors or fellow citizens.

Not to mention to good for Ga Tech. Can’t have that.

I was told, about 3 years ago, by my areas rep on the Board of Regents that any academic changes / additions must first be requested by the schools themselves. I can find no evidence of the Hill doing such.

So bad that GT fans, alum, and donors do not care or have any influence over their own school.
Last time I looked, GT was not coming up short WRT student applications.....seems the demand is quite high for what Tech has to offer, and it is ranked as one of the top schools in the country and world......why screw around with such success? Or right.......sports. :rolleyes:

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
These same discussions really get old, lets take a quick look at the college football scoreboard.
UW 38 (the mighty) Oregon Ducks 3, a bad Missouri 45 (the mighty) Florida Gators 16 ... OMG these schools need easier Majors, better recruiting, a new President ... Blah Blah Blah !!

Very small sample size there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKetsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ is in season # 10 here at the flats. How has he done against the 3 teams that is most important in winning the Coastal division and advancing to the ACC championship game:

Clemson 4-6
Miami 2-8
VT 3-6 (with 3-7 looming in around six days)

Cumulatively that is 9-20 (soon to be 21). The expectation here is we need to rise to .500 against these three if we expect to regularly compete for a division title. If we do not set an expectation for our coach to regulates compete for the division title we should drop the program altogether and become Georgetown.

Hey DownerDaddy enough...take your crappy “soon to be another loss” attitude somewhere else. Negative attitudes like yours are toxic to players, parents, die-hard fans & the program overall. Yellow Jacket nation, hear me loud & clear the team is ready to earn a big W over VT and this time it’s a home game. Show your support for these amazing talented student athletes and this team. They’re not giving up and neither should you. This is going to be a great game players and coaches are preparing hard for Saturday so let them know you bleed Gold and stand with them. They know when you do and they’re not going to stop fighting the good fight on the field for fellow helluva engineers! Give Them Hell & Go Jackets!

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
At the end of the day, we all want GT football to be at it's best but systemic and academic constraints do exist and I'm not sure I see a path towards changing any of those constraints anytime soon.

With that said, I unfortunately don't have the expectation of championships or consistency but I'll continue to follow the lead of the AA and support whatever goals we have or develop as a program - whether it be a NC, ACCC or just a goal to give the GT fans something to do on Saturday mornings in the fall. It's an emotional roller coaster being a Tech fan for sure so it's just easier to relax and enjoy the ride with no expectations.

I would like to see alignment from the academic administration, AA, alumni boosters, etc. Don't think we can accomplish even the smallest of goals without end-to-end support from all parties - even the biggest AA programs have great relations and cross-functional efforts to grow the program.

Hate to say this but for next season and all future seasons, I'm going w/ #noexpectations

Go Jackets!

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Hey DownerDaddy enough...take your crappy “soon to be another loss” attitude somewhere else. Negative attitudes like yours are toxic to players, parents, die-hard fans & the program overall. Yellow Jacket nation, hear me loud & clear the team is ready to earn a big W over VT and this time it’s a home game. Show your support for these amazing talented student athletes and this team. They’re not giving up and neither should you. This is going to be a great game players and coaches are preparing hard for Saturday so let them know you bleed Gold and stand with them. They know when you do and they’re not going to stop fighting the good fight on the field for fellow helluva engineers! Give Them Hell & Go Jackets!

Sorry, but cheering for the Jackets and thinking we’ll probably lose are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Parents and athletes have very little business reading these forums. They know what they're all about and what they'll read. Not a very smart thing to do.

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
Do not know if your focus is strictly winning the ACC, but the most important game every year is the ugag game. If we build a program capable of beating them 50% of the time, the ACC will take care of itself.

Fans DO need to give more $. That is actually very easy to do with some simple planning. Is there a desire and enough pride?

Academics? We should demand more versatility. It is a new world and we need to reach out to more students and help athletics at the same time. If the hillnerds fight it, start cutting donations to them. We need leadership from Peterson. Demand he go to Regents for more academic versatility. They do nothing until WE request it. Too many pansies are so lacking in backbone as to think this will somehow hurt their degree. Nothing the GTAA would do hurts their degree worse than their own lack of backbone.
Amen

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
Also these teams have significantly better recruits and programs and more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTEthen why did we fire Chan
Who was the last coach before Paul Johnson to face top 25 programs 22 times????
hmmm... There may have been a reason why Bobby Ross & George Oleary left... it is hard to sustain 10 win seasons year in and year out at Georgia Tech... why?

The List of Coaches who have brought 10+ win seasons to Georgia Tech
11 - Paul Johnson, 2014
11 - Paul Johnson, 2009
10 - George Oleary, 1998
11 - Bobby Ross, 1990
10 - Bobby Dodd, 1956
12 - Bobby Dodd, 1952
11 -Bobby Dodd, 1951
10 -Bobby Dodd, 1947

Only Four Coaches to ever do it... How about you whiners just mail in a check to the GTAA and support the Coach and if you can't do that just say THANK YOU to Paul Johnson for the 4 greats seasons (2 11 win season and two 9 win season... (name a coach who has done that not named Bobby Dodd or Paul Johnson)
they played less games back in the day, how many losing seasons did Chan have ? None & Paul is about to have his 3rd

LibertyTurns

Banned
they played less games back in the day, how many losing seasons did Chan have ? None & Paul is about to have his 3rd
Can’t believe how many on here have mailed in the VT and mutt games. Didn’t any of you guys ever play sports? I’ve pulled off a fair share of upsets in my life where the bigger & stronger guy was supposed to kick my ***. Well a BIGLY FU to those of you that believe our guys are sacks of crap and can’t win. I’ll be there Saturday and I’m not expecting to lose. I don’t think our team thinks so either unless I’m a poor judge of character. I hope I’m right so it completely eff’s up whatever agenda you all have.

Animal02

Banned
Can’t believe how many on here have mailed in the VT and mutt games. Didn’t any of you guys ever play sports? I’ve pulled off a fair share of upsets in my life where the bigger & stronger guy was supposed to kick my ***. Well a BIGLY FU to those of you that believe our guys are sacks of crap and can’t win. I’ll be there Saturday and I’m not expecting to lose. I don’t think our team thinks so either unless I’m a poor judge of character. I hope I’m right so it completely eff’s up whatever agenda you all have.
Agree completely
Wish I could be there. Unfortunately I have 9 hours worth of airline flying to get home from Wichita on Saturday. Hope to be able to catch a little bit in an airport.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

And how many really good seasons did Chan have? 1?

CPJ's record against the ACC stands at 45-33. And, during that time, we have finished either 1st or tied for 1st in the Coastal 4 times. Under Chan, we had a winning record in the ACC 2 times in 6 seasons. CPJ has had 6 in 9 years. To me, that is pretty good. I would rather have some high highs mixed in with some okay and even a couple bad seasons compared to 7 wins every year.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech's mission is expanding the boundaries of technological research in support of the state of Georgia's economic interests. It's not to create math teachers for middle schools. That is UGA's mission.

Why water down our focus? We're among the best in the world in what we do. And it's because we focus.

We interpret Tech's mission very differently. The GTRI does exactly what you say. But the university within the Institute has a mission to create well rounded, well educated, "total people" who contribute to the betterment of society; through growing, applying, and spreading knowledge. That's why we have athletics, electives, and required courses in humanities. Teaching the next generation of innovators and leaders is essential to that mission. If the mission was as you say, Tech would need to be nothing but the GTRI and a vocational school.

Mission
"Technological change is fundamental to the advancement of the human condition. The Georgia Tech community - students, staff, faculty, and alumni - will realize our motto of "Progress and Service" through effectiveness and innovation in teaching and learning, our research advances, and entrepreneurship in all sectors of society. We will be leaders in improving the human condition in Georgia, the United States, and around the globe."

https://www.irp.gatech.edu/gt-visionmission-statements

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our brand may be that we are graduating our SA's with degrees that actually are useful in life and not just to keep them eligible while we are competing at the highest levels in collegiate sports.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We interpret Tech's mission very differently. The GTRI does exactly what you say. But the university within the Institute has a mission to create well rounded, well educated, "total people" who contribute to the betterment of society; through growing, applying, and spreading knowledge. That's why we have athletics, electives, and required courses in humanities. Teaching the next generation of innovators and leaders is essential to that mission. If the mission was as you say, Tech would need to be nothing but the GTRI and a vocational school.

Mission
"Technological change is fundamental to the advancement of the human condition. The Georgia Tech community - students, staff, faculty, and alumni - will realize our motto of "Progress and Service" through effectiveness and innovation in teaching and learning, our research advances, and entrepreneurship in all sectors of society. We will be leaders in improving the human condition in Georgia, the United States, and around the globe."

https://www.irp.gatech.edu/gt-visionmission-statements

I believe the reference to "teaching and learning" is for those who teach at Georgia Tech. One of my fraternity brothers teaches there and I ran this by him - he agreed that was the reference. It is NOT about teaching at the high school level. There are multiple EXCELLENT schools in Georgia that train math teachers for high school. Tech is not a Teacher's College.

You should read the history of Georgia Tech. It's foundational documents clearly lay out that Tech is necessary to Georgia to improve the standard of living of the residents of the state of Georgia. Has it changed? Maybe the wording. I don't think the mission has changed much.

Still, I will grant you that I am not an authority on Tech's mission statement. I wasn't there when they wrote it and don't have any notes from the meeting, so it's a guess.