Glad you asked

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Meh, I'd rather win games. Handing out diplomas is nice but that responsibility is on the students not the fans. I don't agree with your assertion that "Most" GT fans do. Do you have a survey to back that up?

These students get full-ride scholarships. If they choose not to take advantage of it, that's on them - not me.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if we care or not. We now exist in an environment where graduation rates are required to stay at a certain level to avoid sanctions from the UNCAA (because we aren't willing to set up bogus classes for "all" students).

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ is in season # 10 here at the flats. How has he done against ... advancing to the ACC championship game...

The expectation here is we need to...regularly compete for a division title. If we do not set an expectation for our coach to regulates compete for the division title we should drop the program altogether and become Georgetown.

Under Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech has either played in the ACC Championship Game or been just 1-win shy of it in 6 out of 9 seasons. That's ABSOLUTELY regularly competing for the division title! A record only VT, FSU, and maybe Clemson can match.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure a lot of people agree with me
O'Leary has long since moved on, right? Is the object of the post to show that the lower the academic requirements, the easier it is to win? Now, that is a revelation. If one wants to graduate all Phi Beta Kappas off the football team -- assuming that would be possible -- then good. A laudable goal. But make sure you add in club football to the mix. It is the nature of, well, human nature. Some smart, some not so.

Animal02

Banned
O'Leary has long since moved on, right? Is the object of the post to show that the lower the academic requirements, the easier it is to win? Now, that is a revelation. If one wants to graduate all Phi Beta Kappas off the football team -- assuming that would be possible -- then good. A laudable goal. But make sure you add in club football to the mix. It is the nature of, well, human nature. Some smart, some not so.
Well, apparently some posters what to go the Bama / Saban route.....kid doesn't start ....push him out the door to make another scholly available, grey shirt, etc. etc. Essentially throwing away young lives in the quest for a championship ring. I am proud that Tech fields a competitive team of REAL student athletes, not a minor league team for the NFL that barely skirts the NCAA rules

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, apparently some posters what to go the Bama / Saban route.....kid doesn't start ....push him out the door to make another scholly available, grey shirt, etc. etc. Essentially throwing away young lives in the quest for a championship ring. I am proud that Tech fields a competitive team of REAL student athletes, not a minor league team for the NFL that barely skirts the NCAA rules
I don't take exception to any of that, save one part. But as for the rest: Alabama has always, as I can remember, done exactly that. If I remember reading about this somewhere, it is one of the reasons Dodd felt he had to leave the SEC: August had become a tryout camp for dozens of players when only a handful could get scholarships. Bryant may be a legend among football fans and coaches, but his cheating was also legendary. As for the other, i don't think they "throw away" young lives. If those kids can play they will wind up somewhere, maybe a year late, maybe not, but if they can play, and want to (and are any good of course) they'll be fine. Coaches track that religiously. Just not at Alabama. The dream may be lost, but not the life.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Can’t believe how many on here have mailed in the VT and mutt games. Didn’t any of you guys ever play sports? I’ve pulled off a fair share of upsets in my life where the bigger & stronger guy was supposed to kick my ***. Well a BIGLY FU to those of you that believe our guys are sacks of crap and can’t win. I’ll be there Saturday and I’m not expecting to lose. I don’t think our team thinks so either unless I’m a poor judge of character. I hope I’m right so it completely eff’s up whatever agenda you all have.
BIGLY FU to the haters!!!!!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. It was about time we won a 50-50 game. I don’t understand and probably never will understand those that want us to lose so we make a change they want to happen,
I don't know if it is unique to this board or not, but we sure see some of it, and I don't think it is exaggerating it. A very weird view of things.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Making a change would be a disaster... I can't understand those that want Paul Johnson gone. It's almost as if they can't see the insanity arms race happening all around us in college football... We have a coach who is very successful, has won big here (when did we last win or appear in an orange bowl before 2009?), gives us an advantage schematically, and is a relative bargain. Aside from our academic restrictions (which we should be proud of... We aren't Georgia and should never strive to be), we can't afford to pay over $6 million annually for a coach, especially one that may not pan out. You think paying off Hewitt's buyout was painful? Reality check: We don't fill our 55k stadium every week, so we don't have the spending power of Penn State or Georgia or Tennessee or etc.

People that ever want us to lose so that we make a coaching change are a fan base cancer. They will never ever be happy, and they should be ignored.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
People that ever want us to lose so that we make a coaching change are a fan base cancer. They will never ever be happy, and they should be ignored.

Outside of these anonymous message board things, these people don't exist. I have never spoken to anyone in person who thinks we need a coaching change. On the internet, I have never read one post advocating change that contained anything of substance or value. Once they have fired the "accepting mediocrity" bullet, they are devoid of rational thinking. Yes, I have wanted to see coaching changes made (CPH for example) but anyone who thinks CPJ is in any kind of trouble here at GT has lost perspective. Or maybe their sanity.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Outside of these anonymous message board things, these people don't exist. I have never spoken to anyone in person who thinks we need a coaching change. On the internet, I have never read one post advocating change that contained anything of substance or value. Once they have fired the "accepting mediocrity" bullet, they are devoid of rational thinking. Yes, I have wanted to see coaching changes made (CPH for example) but anyone who thinks CPJ is in any kind of trouble here at GT has lost perspective. Or maybe their sanity.
I have talked to a few of them. They blame the recruiting purely on the offense we run. A new coach with a new offense would do much better. I made a statement that we were not recruiting well (compared to factories) due to academic load and their answer was Calvin Johnson says hello. This guys is a tech grad and helping to run one of the alumni groups. I could only shake my head

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's just admit that to have a really highly competitive academic university is very handicapped against most of the big state universities. Not many in the top 10 in FB are there?

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow

I have witnessed simpering fools trying to ingratiate themselves to opposing fans by wishing ill of our team for the sake of a coaching change on a disturbingly large number of occasions.