Glad you asked

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I must have graduated before they wrote the "effectiveness in teaching" part into the mission statement! The "effectiveness in learning" was darn sure emphasized though, mostly vis-a-vis ineffective teaching. :):):) Of course, that was back in the "1 in 3" days. It's different now.*

* or so we are told.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Parents and athletes have very little business reading these forums. They know what they're all about and what they'll read. Not a very smart thing to do.

I sincerely hope that is the case. These forums are full of people (like me) who go on wild swings of emotion just about every Saturday. You can take about 90% of the stuff on here with a heaping grain of salt. I said it once before and I will say it again: Players play, Coaches coach, fans cheer, cry, complain and live vicariously as keyboard warriors. IIWII

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ is in season # 10 here at the flats. How has he done against the 3 teams that is most important in winning the Coastal division and advancing to the ACC championship game:

Clemson 4-6
Miami 2-8
VT 3-6 (with 3-7 looming in around six days)

Cumulatively that is 9-20 (soon to be 21). The expectation here is we need to rise to .500 against these three if we expect to regularly compete for a division title. If we do not set an expectation for our coach to regulates compete for the division title we should drop the program altogether and become Georgetown.
Careful, people on here don't want you to be hating on PJ lol

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Chan coached in a much easier ACC.

This is GTSwarm myth. From 2002-2005 under Chan, we played 3 ACC teams ranked in the AP final top 25 two years and 4 ACC teams ranked in the AP final top 25 two years. I don't believe that we have played 4 ACC teams ranked in the AP final top 25 in any year under Johnson. I believe we have played 3 ACC teams ranked in the AP final top 25 twice under Johnson, but that is in 9 years.

The average number of ACC teams ranked in the AP final top 25 played per year under Johnson is decidedly lower than under Chan. Chan had a bunch of 4-4 ACC records, but he never had a losing season. Chan and Johnson have both been mediocre, it's just that the variance from the mean is bigger under Johnson.

O'Leary was 29-11 in the ACC over his last 5 years. That's what we need to get back to.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary was 29-11 in the ACC over his last 5 years. That's what we need to get back to.
That would put us as the third best team in the ACC and far better than Miami, VT, and every other ACC team aside from FSU and Clemson has been over the last 5 years. While I would love for us to win more, I am just not sure why I should expect GT to be far better than nearly all of its peers. Where does that sense of entitlement come from?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That would put us as the third best team in the ACC and far better than Miami, VT, and every other ACC team aside from FSU and Clemson has been over the last 5 years. While I would love for us to win more, I am just not sure why I should expect GT to be far better than nearly all of its peers. Where does that sense of entitlement come from?

well,to be fair, the guy did show some data that suggested that we had done it before. And not in the Dodd or leather helmet days either. So, in light of the facts as presented, he wasn't asking for something unrealistic imo. I know there are a host of "yeah, buts..." but have heard them before. Even before GOL went 29 -11 people thought that there were all kinds of reasons why it couldn't be done. The handful of us GT fans seemingly are the best at coming up with all kinds of reasons why something can't be done.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Accept the fact that some - maybe most - 4 and 5 star recruits think they will play on Sundays one day, despite the statistics, and there is little that anyone can say to them is going to change that. They have heard how "great" they are since grade school, have been interviewed by Rivals and even played in TV in high school and all star games. So, most will spend their time in the weight room, not the math lab or library. The solution for Tech is simply to cast a broader net in order to find those few great scholar-athletes out there - in the hinterlands of the US and around the world. Increase the recruiting budget and work harder in recruiting.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have been at this (being a Tech fan) for decades. One thing I know is, 25 years from now, there will be GT fans who will have you believe that it was easier for CPJ now then than it is for our current coach because of yet to be constructed logic. But I am confident in our ability to concoct rationalizations.For decades, the present moment is always the hardest it has ever been.That is the GT mantra.

If you look at things, we have missed some great opportunities. The Miami program,d espite their dominance over us, has not been a major factor for quite awhile. The VT program has also been down compared to their glory days. Sure Duke and UNC may have been a little better than they have at times but are not major players in the college FB landscape.. The Coastal, while a competitive group, has not really had any consistent top 5 or even 10 teams in awhile. Like our neighbors to the east in their terrible SEC division, we have squandered opportunities while the VT's and Miami's have dropped back to the pack a bit. Disclaimer: I do realize that the ACC Coastal has been much superior to the SEC East over the last 10 years or so.

Well, most people do, and do not want to return to the days of players being meat on the hoof without a concern for their future.

Meh, I'd rather win games. Handing out diplomas is nice but that responsibility is on the students not the fans. I don't agree with your assertion that "Most" GT fans do. Do you have a survey to back that up?

These students get full-ride scholarships. If they choose not to take advantage of it, that's on them - not me.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a question does the athletic department have a mission statement?? and what is the football programs mission statement...and we do pay Johnson a few mil to do what graduate student athletes?? or to win championships....am not sure you can have it both ways these days...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Accept the fact that some - maybe most - 4 and 5 star recruits think they will play on Sundays one day, despite the statistics, and there is little that anyone can say to them is going to change that. They have heard how "great" they are since grade school, have been interviewed by Rivals and even played in TV in high school and all star games. So, most will spend their time in the weight room, not the math lab or library. The solution for Tech is simply to cast a broader net in order to find those few great scholar-athletes out there - in the hinterlands of the US and around the world. Increase the recruiting budget and work harder in recruiting.
Big net takes Big $.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And what was O'Leary's graduation rate compared to CPJ?

Actually, it was very good while he was the coach. He used to send graduate assistants to check class attendance-- and would sometimes send them back to make sure kids didn't leave after seeing the gradass. O'Leary was very demanding.

The statistics are misleading because they are done by recruiting class. Gailey treated the kids like pro players when he first came. He didn't monitor academics, which led to flunkgate under Gailey's watch, but counted against O'Leary's recruiting classes. Gailey learned as he went along. About the time Gailey figured out how to be a college coach, Rad fired him because he wasn't his guy. Then Clough stabbed Rad in the back, but that's another story.

Just clearing up another GT Swarm myth.