Glad you asked

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I make a comparison with GT and Clemson. Sure they are in two different settings. But student enrollments are about the same. During the 1970s, Clemson significantly expanded their academic offerings and enrollment. Simultaneously, Charley Pell, then Danny Ford were hired. Look at their record in football for the last 30 years. Coincidence? I think not.
yea but that's never going to happen at Tech so wishing for it to is just wasted effort imo.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah...demand more (easy) majors so we can be better in football :rolleyes:

It's not (just) about Football. It's about the health of the Institute and its role in the University System of Georgia. The State of Georgia has had a teacher shortage for well over a decade. With critical needs for Math, Science and Technology educators. It's inexcusable to me that the premier STEM school in the State does not have an education program. If the reason the BOR has blocked it; is that it might help GT athletics (to the possible detriment of of the dwags), then the GT community needs to be making that a major public issue. "Parents, the reason 'your kid' didn't get into GT was it might hurt uGA Football."

As far as putting pressure on public officials to make the change. The angle isn't that we need more majors for football. It's that Tech needs to grow at a reasonable pace and keep up with the needs of the State of Georgia. My wife got $20,000 of student loans forgiven for teaching math in GA for 4 years. If the state is putting that kind of $$ into incentivizing Math teachers. The least we could do is have an Ed major at our #1 math school.

We need to be talking to parents. My friends, even the Dwag fans, all would love for their kids to go to GT. It's practically Ivy league with Hope and in-state tuition. But the impression is that "nobody" gets in; that Tech takes only international and out of state. (I know it's not reality, don't show me the facts, it's what people think.) I guarantee we could get a ton of signatures from Non-GT people on a petition to the BOR if we demanded more majors and more slots for in-state students.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/35884239/metro-atlanta-schools-districts-grappling-with-teacher-shortages

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's not (just) about Football. It's about the health of the Institute and its role in the University System of Georgia. It's inexcusable to me that the premier STEM school in the State does not have an education program.

Tech's mission is expanding the boundaries of technological research in support of the state of Georgia's economic interests. It's not to create math teachers for middle schools. That is UGA's mission.

Why water down our focus? We're among the best in the world in what we do. And it's because we focus.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
yea but that's never going to happen at Tech so wishing for it to is just wasted effort imo.
I would like to know if the resistance is coming from The Hill or the Board of Regents. If it's the first maybe with Stansbury our chances may improve. If it's the Board of Regents no way in Hell.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tech's mission is expanding the boundaries of technological research in support of the state of Georgia's economic interests. It's not to create math teachers for middle schools. That is UGA's mission.

Why water down our focus? We're among the best in the world in what we do. And it's because we focus.

Agree. But more pre-med / medical research degree options would fit nicely imo...but was **** canned by the BOR.

Also...how does GT business management really meet the mission focus you cite?

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, I'm in a pissy mood because my favorite team (GT) is now 4-4 because they lost to a VERY beatable team, plus my second favorite team (Falcons) is now 4-4 because they lost to a VERY beatable team. On top of this, the vile and unnameable pestilence to our Northeast is 9-0. There was a time in my life when this would have sent my world spinning, but with age comes perspective.

I have been a Georgia Tech fan since I was about 6, and although my kids might say otherwise, that was not quite in the Heisman Era (but I do remember Dodd as coach). I never attended Tech (though I take as a point of pride that they offered me a decent scholarship out of high school) because, like many of the athletes we chase after, I didn't want to be an engineer. I grew up in an extended family where I was seen as odd because I wore the colors of their rival team and I suffered greatly around many a Thanksgiving weekend. But I have never wavered in my loyalty to the team.

Prior to every season I speak and dream of undefeated dominance. At the end of all too many seasons, I lick my wounds and dream and speak of next year. But this year is still in progress, so I dream and speak of an 8-4 season that surprises everyone. Is it realistic? Probably not, but it is who I am. And I don't understand fans who seem so often to delight in defeat and dream and speak of disaster at every opportunity.

I admit I like Paul Johnson, though I'm not always sure why. I don't think he is incapable of being out-coached or that he is the only coach who could win at Tech. But I do know he has been more successful than most and he runs a program that I can take pride in following. I was excited when I recently moved back to buy season tickets to watch my team in person. The STUDENT-Athletes we watch are worthy of my support as they fight to the end and then afterwards, win or lose, represent our school with class and surprising elocution (just watch the videos of interviews).

And for those who think a coaching or scheme change will make us a perennial powerhouse, I wonder in what dream world you are living. I read so many screeds about poor recruiting that point to Gailey's perceived recruiting prowess, yet forget he couldn't do much with those recruiting classes (as we are interminably reminded it took Johnson to win with Gailey's recruits). I just wish the Chicken Little Syndrome or Bama Envy would give way once in a while to support for our team when things look their worst.

Sorry for being so wordy. Go Jackets and THWG!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

OK - time for walk down Memory Lane.

Georgia Tech was founded by John Fletcher Hanson, a wealthy industrialist and principal of Bibb Manufacturing. Hanson noted that all of the technical support for the developing textile industry had to be sourced from the Northern states. So, he used his political connections to advocate the establishment of a technical college in support of the emerging industrial base of the state of Georgia.

Later, as engineers were tasked to lead more complex organizations, a commerce college was added and located downtown. As no such school existed at the time, Georgia Tech took the lead and established the Evening School. But, because it was felt that it should be spun off, it was. It is now called Georgia State University.

It was re-introduced at Tech to better integrate engineering and business disciplines. The management of engineering is different than that of general business.

It remains part of Tech to support the entrepreneurial efforts of its technical graduates.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Because Virginia Tech is not an Institute of Technology it is a Polytechnic University thus the academic rigors are not the same. #faketech #ihaaaatevt

Also, if you look at the SAT scores for both schools, the 75 percentile score for VT is 1320. For GT, it’s 1530. Yep, sounds like it should be just as easy to recruit to GT as VT. ;)

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. But more pre-med / medical research degree options would fit nicely imo...but was **** canned by the BOR.

A Tech-focused Pre-Law degree would be nice, too.

Hell, a Tech-focused full-on Law School would have been a fantastic addition about 15 years ago, but we can't get it done.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gt has program issues not coach issues first.

Until the athletic board is not made up of 70 percent professors

Until the aa can gain some mutual benefits from roll call/joint donation process

Until the school allows for some more creative degree offerings and some lesser admission chances in spots

Once we can have 9 or so football shadow staff vs 3.

Need a new weight/locker room setup.

Once we can hire 2-3 more better asst coaches than some who we like, but lets face it can upgrade

And honestly; lets face it, kids do rule out tech from the triple option. I am not saying it matters or have a way to assign a percentage. But they do. I have no idea the impact, but it has to be a decent amount. I know kids that went to tech have said they would not have come here if paul was coach. Thats a coach thing. Its the double edge sword with his system cuz it can work fine with the right qb etc.

Its not like pauls record is dramatically different than tech the last 40 years. In fact its towards the top. Its a school thing first.

Our program and backing is more similar to wake duke bc and cuse than it is to clemson vt miami unc Louisville fsu.
How much of this is likely to change under the current president?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just looked at the Business Admin (Finance) track for undergrads. I may be reading this wrong, but does it read like Calc isn't a requirement? You can elect to take the Calc sequence (Differential + Integral), or you can elect to take the Math for Management + Finite math sequence. Granted, either track is going to be harder than the factory "Algebra 1 + Algebra 2" sequence.

http://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/business-administration-finance-bs/#requirementstext

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
I would say Georgia tech is most similar to Vanderbilt. and Johnson beat them 38-10 or 17. the knee jerk reaction is to fire johnson when things are going well but is probably not the best reaction.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
To me it's Purdue, Oregon State, and NC State.

Out of these schools why don't we compare the cherry picked stats and see what's what. I'm guessing Ok State is probably the only one better than us and they have Pickens money behind them.

Boone Pickens has been a blessing to us Pokes fans. They also lucked out with getting a great coach who was a player on the team and called that job "his Alabama". Nc state Illinois and Purdue are all similar comparisons with engineering focuses and being in state B brands. I think our struggles aren't academic as Stanford recruits better with higher standards and has something like a 70% scholarship acceptance rate. Branding and fan base is the issue. We're the third most popular team in Georgia (according to Facebook likes) and the only P5 school to not be the most popular in its own county. Leaving the SEC killed us the most, and adding the Big East titans to the ACC have made our year in year out competition harder, so I think it's unrealistic to expect the same results we had back then as our schedule got harder. We have been a historic 7-5 team since we left the SEC

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Can we just stop the nonsense of entertaining this thread? @MacDaddy2's original post doesn't follow logical sense, and now this thread is headed the direction of others re: where is GT's position in college football.

A reasonable response to the OP's premise, if we want to go there:
  • During the first 9 years of CPJ
    • Miami: 68-47 (and this includes the wins vs. GT)
    • UNC: 71-46

Conclusion
  1. UNC has been a better team than Miami. So why is CPJ's record vs. Miami considered part of the big 3, big 4, or whatever, other than to serve one's personal agenda?
  2. Lumping in Clemson as if it means more than FSU when we play them, or someone else in our own division, does not follow any logical sense with respect to Coastal division championships.
  3. We have the 2nd most ACC championship appearances in CPJ's tenure (3), yet the conclusion is we're approaching Georgetown... not Miami, UNC, Duke, or Virginia who have a combined 2 appearances in the championship game combined.

And I feel like this is necessary disclaimer before this post gets misconstrued, because if I don't say it I will be considered "an apologist". I am not content with 4-4. CPJ and GT have their warts. There are things within CPJ's and GT's control that could go better, and I think both acknowledge most of them publicly or privately.

With that said, the premise of this thread is ridiculous.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

And never any reason to expand your focus, or grow, or think outside the box. That would be to, to ... human. To innovative or industrious. To smart. To helpful to your state, neighbors or fellow citizens.

Not to mention to good for Ga Tech. Can’t have that.

I was told, about 3 years ago, by my areas rep on the Board of Regents that any academic changes / additions must first be requested by the schools themselves. I can find no evidence of the Hill doing such.

So bad that GT fans, alum, and donors do not care or have any influence over their own school.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And never any reason to expand your focus, or grow, or think outside the box. That would be to, to ... human. To innovative or industrious. To smart. To helpful to your state, neighbors or fellow citizens..

So bad that GT fans, alum, and donors do not care or have any influence over their own school.

Sounds like you would like to see Tech become UGA - Atlanta campus. Good luck with that.