Glad you asked

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question. Who are 2-3 “peer programs” that you think are the closest to looking like GT in P5 football?

Kind of hard to get a good comparison, but teams in similar situations IMO are Texas Tech, Washington State, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, and a little of NC state. I think Illinois is the closest direct comparison in terms on all non academic things

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Kind of hard to get a good comparison, but teams in similar situations IMO are Texas Tech, Washington State, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, and a little of NC state. I think Illinois is the closest direct comparison in terms on all non academic things
To me it's Purdue, Oregon State, and NC State.

Out of these schools why don't we compare the cherry picked stats and see what's what. I'm guessing Ok State is probably the only one better than us and they have Pickens money behind them.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The most important games every year are your 8 conference games. The deck was stacked to favor VT as they draw BC every year while GT is stuck with Clemson and Miami is stuck with FSU. On average that gives VT around a half a game advantage over us in the division race and around 0.3 games advantage over Miami (not that hey have taken advantage of that). Its a new day in Coral Gables and Miami is about to be the Coastal beast that was expected when they joined the ACC.

Do not know if your focus is strictly winning the ACC, but the most important game every year is the ugag game. If we build a program capable of beating them 50% of the time, the ACC will take care of itself.

Fans DO need to give more $. That is actually very easy to do with some simple planning. Is there a desire and enough pride?

Academics? We should demand more versatility. It is a new world and we need to reach out to more students and help athletics at the same time. If the hillnerds fight it, start cutting donations to them. We need leadership from Peterson. Demand he go to Regents for more academic versatility. They do nothing until WE request it. Too many pansies are so lacking in backbone as to think this will somehow hurt their degree. Nothing the GTAA would do hurts their degree worse than their own lack of backbone.

GTFLETCH

Banned
To me it's Purdue, Oregon State, and NC State.

Out of these schools why don't we compare the cherry picked stats and see what's what. I'm guessing Ok State is probably the only one better than us and they have Pickens money behind them.
NC state and Oregon state??/ WTF

GTFLETCH

Banned
PJ is 5-17 in his last 22 games vs top 25 teams
Who was the last coach before Paul Johnson to face top 25 programs 22 times????
hmmm... There may have been a reason why Bobby Ross & George Oleary left... it is hard to sustain 10 win seasons year in and year out at Georgia Tech... why?

The List of Coaches who have brought 10+ win seasons to Georgia Tech
11 - Paul Johnson, 2014
11 - Paul Johnson, 2009
10 - George Oleary, 1998
11 - Bobby Ross, 1990
10 - Bobby Dodd, 1956
12 - Bobby Dodd, 1952
11 -Bobby Dodd, 1951
10 -Bobby Dodd, 1947

Only Four Coaches to ever do it... How about you whiners just mail in a check to the GTAA and support the Coach and if you can't do that just say THANK YOU to Paul Johnson for the 4 greats seasons (2 11 win season and two 9 win season... (name a coach who has done that not named Bobby Dodd or Paul Johnson)

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Who was the last coach before Paul Johnson to face top 25 programs 22 times????
hmmm... There may have been a reason why Bobby Ross & George Oleary left... it is hard to sustain 10 win seasons year in and year out at Georgia Tech... why?

The List of Coaches who have brought 10+ win seasons to Georgia Tech
11 - Paul Johnson, 2014
11 - Paul Johnson, 2009
10 - George Oleary, 1998
11 - Bobby Ross, 1990
10 - Bobby Dodd, 1956
12 - Bobby Dodd, 1952
11 -Bobby Dodd, 1951
10 -Bobby Dodd, 1947

Only Four Coaches to ever do it... How about you whiners just mail in a check to the GTAA and support the Coach and if you can't do that just say THANK YOU to Paul Johnson for the 4 greats seasons (2 11 win season and two 9 win season... (name a coach who has done that not named Bobby Dodd or Paul Johnson)
Thanks coach for beating GA 3 times, also thanks for losing to Air Force and going 3-9. Paul has done just as bad as he's done good.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
High Academics with FBS Football similar to Georgia Tech

Public
Purdue, Cal Bears, University of Illinois... Someone could make the case for Virginia, UCLA...

Private
Northwestern, Wake Forest, Vandy, Duke, Rice
This list is fine too. Can go and compare with these teams as well.

My point is compared to our actual P5 peers we're not doing terribly.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Thanks coach for beating GA 3 times, also thanks for losing to Air Force and going 3-9. Paul has done just as bad as he's done good.

Bobby Dodd went 4 and 7 one season...do you hear folks say he sucked as a coach..
Bobby Ross went 2 and 7 in 1987 and 3 and 8 in 1988...

How do people speak of Bobby Ross...

So before you start crapping all over Coach Johnson you might want to say Thank you for being the only coach since Bobby Dodd to take us to two Orange Bowls and a pair of Double Digit season wins.... get educated on georgia tech football and the history of the ramblin wreck before you start trashing one of our best Coaches ever!!

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
How many national titles has PJ won? PJ is a good coach but he makes mistakes.
So Coach Johnson has to win a national title before you will shut up.... wow...crazy.... I would suggest if you want to win a natty... than you better start donating money... we need about 20M in donations.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So Coach Johnson has to win a national title before you will shut up.... wow...crazy.... I would suggest if you want to win a natty... than you better start donating money... we need about 20M in donations.
I never said that. I said CPJ has had good and bad seasons and we shouldn't give him a free pass because he beats UGA. You compared CPJ to one of the greatest CFB coaches ever, not me.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
PJ is 5-17 in his last 22 games vs top 25 teams

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/07/which-college-football-head-coaches-best-worst-vs-top-25/

Smh

Look at the programs these coaches are all at. (Patterson gets big props for doing as well as he has). Look at Jimbo...at FsU...with their money and recruiting. And look at them this year. Even mighty FSU can struggle to win in the ACC now.

But tell me how many of these top 11 guys have less advantage to succeed where they are vs CPJ at GT.

You aholes that can't handle adversity, can't bear a loss (especially when the mutts are rolling...oh your lives are so hard now)...y'all don't deserve CPJ. You surrender monkeys deserve Bill Lewis.

Thank you to all the stout Tech fans that don't quit on their players and coaches and who are actually capable of comparing apples to apples.

Last edited: