Georgie paying players?

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you're wrong. I saw what the stars of our football team were driving 15 years ago. (I also saw what a good friend of mine who went to Clemson and was a backup most of his career was driving.)

There's just a huge difference in priorities between a GT and a factory school. I can't say that a random booster might not give a pair of shoes or a dinner or a six flag ticket or a hundred dollar bill to a player, but I think that will be the exception at GT - and it will not come close to touching with the factories do (a drop in the ocean). GT will do everything it can for the image of the school (and will not tolerate anything that might tarnish it) - the football team and other athletic teams are a part of that greater mission. It's the reverse at factories - the football team (or basketball team at Duke/UNC/Kentucky) is the mission and the school is a part of that mission.

ETA: I'll say this as well: The day I find out we are purposefully, knowingly cheating (not some exceptional rogue fan) is the day I cease my GT fandom.

Sammy Drummer
If you're too young to remember, google him.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I have some acquaintances that are tied into the Auburn FB program and some tied into the BAMA programs. You should hear the stories they tell on each other.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think you're wrong. I saw what the stars of our football team were driving 15 years ago. (I also saw what a good friend of mine who went to Clemson and was a backup most of his career was driving.)

There's just a huge difference in priorities between a GT and a factory school. I can't say that a random booster might not give a pair of shoes or a dinner or a six flag ticket or a hundred dollar bill to a player, but I think that will be the exception at GT - and it will not come close to touching with the factories do (a drop in the ocean). GT will do everything it can for the image of the school (and will not tolerate anything that might tarnish it) - the football team and other athletic teams are a part of that greater mission. It's the reverse at factories - the football team (or basketball team at Duke/UNC/Kentucky) is the mission and the school is a part of that mission.

ETA: I'll say this as well: The day I find out we are purposefully, knowingly cheating (not some exceptional rogue fan) is the day I cease my GT fandom.
I think most good football coaches live in fear of the "well meaning" alum who plays big man on campus by handing 20-year-old a $100 bill, or worse, five players $50 bills. No matter how many times the boosters club is warned or the players admonished, it is always a violation waiting to happen, and it happened to GT with Thomas which through a bizarre series of circumstances led to probation and the theoretical withdrawal of an ACC championship. And the amount of clothing involved wouldn't even buy a good pair of basketball sneakers.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hell guys, Marbury flat out admitted to receiving a car and other gifts from his AAU coach and was not shy about saying he’d insist on a cut from anyone making money on his name.

http://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-20030428-article42

Like I said before, you’d be naive to think Tech hasn’t been involved in stuff like this in the past. Right now, I don’t know...seems like ever since Gailey showed up we have been pretty clean on the football side. Under O’Leary, I wasn’t so sure...

Gotta remember it’s typically not the school tossing around the money and gifts, but I’d be willing to bet the coaches know about it in some form or fashion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sammy Drummer
If you're too young to remember, google him.

I googled him, but couldn't find anything relating to his being paid while in college. Not saying he wasn't, but could you elaborate or provide a link? There was a reference to his scoring 500 on the SAT, 100 over the minimum at that time. With that score, his admission wouldn't be even remotely possible today. He was said to be barely literate after two years at Tech even though he had extensive tutoring (he took mainly phys. ed. and non-required liberal arts courses, again not possible today). This was over 30 years ago. I know his was a sad story, from great promise on the court to a janitor's job and eventually being shot and killed in a drug deal gone bad. As a fan, I am not proud about his admission to Tech or his lack of progress. Such should never happen again, and is now thankfully impossible. But I couldn't find anything about his being paid under the table or anything like that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hell guys, Marbury flat out admitted to receiving a car and other gifts from his AAU coach and was not shy about saying he’d insist on a cut from anyone making money on his name.

http://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-20030428-article42

Like I said before, you’d be naive to think Tech hasn’t been involved in stuff like this in the past. Right now, I don’t know...seems like ever since Gailey showed up we have been pretty clean on the football side. Under O’Leary, I wasn’t so sure...

Gotta remember it’s typically not the school tossing around the money and gifts, but I’d be willing to bet the coaches know about it in some form or fashion.

His "AAU coach". Not Tech. Maybe I am "naïve", but I'd like to see some evidence, please.

Last edited:

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

+1, what they drove from 90-94 wasn't anything to be jealous of either. Most guys didn't drive anything and relied on the Stinger or walked.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Boosters funnel money through AAU coaches in hoops.

The actual school never does the paying in football or basketball.
More than 30 years ago I heard LSU legend Jerry Stovall and a Clemson steel fabricator openly discuss payments. In the last five years I heard one story of an attempted SEC payment to a NC HS star that I would lend credence to. Otherwise I have heard stories of automobiles, but never seen them, and of jewelry and clothing decorating the desperately poor recruits on campus, which had some basis in fact. And almost without exception when a program gets over the hump to national recognition it is immediately accused of lying, cheating, buying players and collusion with Russia. I suspect some money changes hands, but there are things I suspect and things I know, and until I see facts, evidence, names, I am unwilling to accuse anybody of buying players because they suddenly got good. What if we had to defend 2014?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
More than 30 years ago I heard LSU legend Jerry Stovall and a Clemson steel fabricator openly discuss payments. In the last five years I heard one story of an attempted SEC payment to a NC HS star that I would lend credence to. Otherwise I have heard stories of automobiles, but never seen them, and of jewelry and clothing decorating the desperately poor recruits on campus, which had some basis in fact. And almost without exception when a program gets over the hump to national recognition it is immediately accused of lying, cheating, buying players and collusion with Russia. I suspect some money changes hands, but there are things I suspect and things I know, and until I see facts, evidence, names, I am unwilling to accuse anybody of buying players because they suddenly got good. What if we had to defend 2014?

So you think the whole Cam Newton thing is made up?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Why dont we just pay every player a flat rate of 15k a player, and exploit them for their likeness. Bring back the ncaa video game and ask for the money spent in return, at least half.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So you think the whole Cam Newton thing is made up?
As I said, there are things I believe, and things I know. And whatever did or did not happen there I don't know, but I have seen no NCAA action or legal action, anything to put anything on the record. I believe something happened, but ask me to prove it and I am dead in the water. As is everybody apparently. I don't like the guy, if that helps.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Where’s the LOVE button? Great post.