Georgie paying players?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I know for a fact that the Fields family received seven figures. I guess you are proud of that huh

7 to the left of the decimal. The Kirbster couldn't face a fan base where the top 2 QB's in the country were from the state of Georgia and he whiffed on both of them..... In case you are wondering where the cash is changing hands look no further than the Elite camps. It is dirtier than AAU as the stakes are much much higher.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Like I said, I think EVERYONE does including GT.
I think you're wrong. I saw what the stars of our football team were driving 15 years ago. (I also saw what a good friend of mine who went to Clemson and was a backup most of his career was driving.)

There's just a huge difference in priorities between a GT and a factory school. I can't say that a random booster might not give a pair of shoes or a dinner or a six flag ticket or a hundred dollar bill to a player, but I think that will be the exception at GT - and it will not come close to touching with the factories do (a drop in the ocean). GT will do everything it can for the image of the school (and will not tolerate anything that might tarnish it) - the football team and other athletic teams are a part of that greater mission. It's the reverse at factories - the football team (or basketball team at Duke/UNC/Kentucky) is the mission and the school is a part of that mission.

ETA: I'll say this as well: The day I find out we are purposefully, knowingly cheating (not some exceptional rogue fan) is the day I cease my GT fandom.

Last edited:

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
My apologies for linking to such a repulsive domain but this guy's father said some pretty strange things after the commitment of his son to uGA.
https://www.dawgnation.com/football...sons-why-john-emery-jr-wanted-to-be-a-bulldog

“There is no more than any school can offer John but a scholarship. That is what Georgia offered here. A free education and a chance to be successful in football. Nobody else can offer more than that. I don’t see any other offer out there greater than that.”

It sounds like he's refuting the accusation of taking money although the accusation was never (at least not yet) made.
I just thought this was a strange remark to make and looks suspicious in retrospect.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think you're wrong. I saw what the stars of our football team were driving 15 years ago. (I also saw what a good friend of mine who went to Clemson and was a backup most of his career was driving.)

There's just a huge difference in priorities between a GT and a factory school. I can't say that a random booster might not give a pair of shoes or a dinner or a six flag ticket or a hundred dollar bill to a player, but I think that will be the exception at GT - and it will not come close to touching with the factories do (a drop in the ocean). GT will do everything it can for the image of the school (and will not tolerate anything that might tarnish it) - the football team and other athletic teams are a part of that greater mission. It's the reverse at factories - the football team (or basketball team at Duke/UNC/Kentucky) is the mission and the school is a part of that mission.

ETA: I'll say this as well: The day I find out we are purposefully, knowingly cheating (not some exceptional rogue fan) is the day I cease my GT fandom.
I’m not gonna get weird and post pictures but if you take a look at some of the players instagrams, and look at some of their cars, their chains, their watches, their shoes, their phones, their headphones, their TVs, their PS4s etc. It’s all coming from somewhere, it could be their money and I could be wrong but to me I think that GT is doing what every other P5 school is doing and that is giving athletes extra benefits. At this point in the NCAA’s corrupt history you’d be short minded to call that cheating.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
double post but to some up my thoughts -
Do I think GT is violating major NCAA rules and paying players to gain a competitive advantage? No.

Do I think GT Football players are getting extra things under the table that don’t relate to performance? Yes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
7 to the left of the decimal. The Kirbster couldn't face a fan base where the top 2 QB's in the country were from the state of Georgia and he whiffed on both of them..... In case you are wondering where the cash is changing hands look no further than the Elite camps. It is dirtier than AAU as the stakes are much much higher.
I might want to believe a lot about a lot of programs but this one as usual is sorely lacking in the essentials: facts. Sources. Names. It's a message board, it is the internet, and anybody can say anything about anybody most anytime ... anonymously. It's what makes social media so toxic and vile. But let's just say this: ain't nobody, even a Georgia football coach, going to pay a HS QB $1 million to play for him. (Or does Microsoft or Warren Buffett have a football team these days?) I'd believe in the Easter bunny, the stork, any one of a hundred politicians from the president down, all of them, before giving this one even a sniff. And you know those examples are laughable. But perhaps the figures are to the right of the decimal point. $1 makes more sense.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There's pretty good evidence that Cam Newton was offered at least $180,000 in 2010. College football revenue has only gone up since then and so have coaching salaries and the overall economy. I'd be willing to bet the going rate for 5* qbs has risen since then.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's pretty good evidence that Cam Newton was offered at least $180,000 in 2010. College football revenue has only gone up since then and so have coaching salaries and the overall economy. I'd be willing to bet the going rate for 5* qbs has risen since then.
"Evidence"? Such as? (And this from somebody is prepared to believe the worst about Newton. But make the case.)