georgia

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree. Even 09-10 was tough. We really didn't look so hot until the ACC tournament. I think Favors sand bagged a little bit during the season and then gave full effort when we got into the post season.

This is the most hilariously farcical falsehood I've read in a while regarding our recent hoops history. Favors turned it on at season's end because he stopped putting up with BS. Shumpert's insistence that he was a PG and Hewitt letting him get away with that stunted Favors' early season performance. The guards across the board (Moe Miller, Shump, & Udofia) consistently showed either an inability or lack of interest in feeding our absurdly talented post trio of Favors, Lawal, & Peacock.

Can't tell if you're too drunk to remember how it really happened or not drunk enough to take the edge off your rage making you wrongly remember how we played that season.

slugboy

Staff member
This is the most hilariously farcical falsehood I've read in a while regarding our recent hoops history. Favors turned it on at season's end because he stopped putting up with BS. Shumpert's insistence that he was a PG and Hewitt letting him get away with that stunted Favors' early season performance. The guards across the board (Moe Miller, Shump, & Udofia) consistently showed either an inability or lack of interest in feeding our absurdly talented post trio of Favors, Lawal, & Peacock.

Can't tell if you're too drunk to remember how it really happened or not drunk enough to take the edge off your rage making you wrongly remember how we played that season.
I'm glad other people have a clear memory of that season. All I remember is Favors getting passes at the ankles under the basket.

LibertyTurns

Banned
i remember when watching a game like today made me upset.
I thought this was a different Team from previous years. Hope I'm not mistaken.

I remember a game in Athens back in the Hewitt days when a clearly better GT team got robbed by the SEC refs...who called us for an incredible numbers of fouls. Given the new rules, it wouldn't surprise me to see a repeat of the officiating performance to keep guys like MGH and CM on our bench instead of on the floor.

Call me paranoid.
Not ready to declare you to be the second coming of Nostradamus, but you're certainly prescient.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm glad other people have a clear memory of that season. All I remember is Favors getting passes at the ankles under the basket.

It was borderline absurd and while I'm happy to have Shump as a member of the GT family, it's why I think he didn't necessarily make a great impact during his time, regardless of what stats say

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

I think you need to follow @dtm1997 post.

"That said, UGA deserved to win this game all the way around. Played with more effort. Had better individual performances on offense. Had a defensive style that stymied us on the wing & in the post.

I thought this week would be very telling. If we won both, we might prove to be legit good. If we lost both, we could tailspin to an atrocious year. We split with the loss being a piss-poor effort against our rival.

Either this gets them angry & galvanizes them towards improvement or the shakiness infects the rest of the season.

The ACC remains a strong conference this year, but the parity is there for us to win our share of games if they play like we did against VCU.

Doubt we're better than an NIT team at best. Didn't think BG should have stayed in place after last season, but I remain convinced if we didn't have the money then to remove him, we won't this season, so I'm along for the ride and will support the team.

If you don't want to support the team, then don't. Step away, have a drink, relax, take a nap, & come back around when someone else is in charge."

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
i remember when watching a game like today made me upset.
Completely agree...I kept up with the first half on the radio and then watched the first 6-7 minutes of the second half on tv. I started to get upset and then just turned it off. I don't care enough to get upset anymore.

Didn't Favors come in w/ Crete and Thad Young?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It was borderline absurd and while I'm happy to have Shump as a member of the GT family, it's why I think he didn't necessarily make a great impact during his time, regardless of what stats say
I also remember favors was basically socially isolated from all of the team members. Most of them had no idea who he was as he was always on his cell phone with family/girlfriend or whatever. I think you can blame all parties for that. One thing I'm sure of, they started playing really well when Hewitt took everyone's cell phones away before the ACC tournament. They were forced to talk to each other and actually developed some off the court chemistry.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also remember favors was basically socially isolated from all of the team members. Most of them had no idea who he was as he was always on his cell phone with family/girlfriend or whatever. I think you can blame all parties for that. One thing I'm sure of, they started playing really well when Hewitt took everyone's cell phones away before the ACC tournament. They were forced to talk to each other and actually developed some off the court chemistry.
That's a nuance I wasn't aware of although I had heard he was a pretty shy kid who still watched cartoons & had a Spongebob lunchbox. That said, would you say he sandbagged the early part of the season before getting it together later on? It came together later on because he took over and left those guards behind.

The PGs' job is to facilitate on the court and lead chemistry. Udofia was too young and also, ultimately, stunted by Shumpert. Miller was a better facilitator, but never had a real rhythm because the PG minutes were dominated by Shumpert.

Like I said, Shump was an excellent college player and I'm happy to have him as a rep of GT, but if he'd have played his natural wing position, letting Miller & Udofia facilitate, we likely have an even better season. Put that on Hewitt for letting him get away with it. That's why I firmly believed Hewitt should've been fired after that year instead of waiting another. Massive underachievement.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We can be a pretty good team. But, we can also be a mediocre team. I have watched all but one of our games and I do not know what the difference is. It all seems to be rooted in desire. That said, I would have thought today would have been the the game where that rose to the surface over all others. Color me puzzled.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

You definitely remember it different than I do, but I watched just about every game that year, so I'm telling you what I thought at the time. I could be wrong, as I didn't spend time in the locker room with the team. All I can go by is my opinion on what I watched.

It was like a light switch flipped when we hit the ACC tournament and he just miraculously looked amazing over night. The effort and intensity on shots and rebounds seemed different, and I just kept going, "wow, where has this been all year?" Then he was gone for the NBA, so we didn't get to see it again. Just seemed a bit odd for someone who was most likely a one and done before the season started, and made me question that throughout the year to just instantly look NBA ready.

I don't like the one year rule for this reason (among many others). Because it creates a conflict of interest, or at least the impression of one. If rather just let the kids go pro out of high school.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You definitely remember it different than I do, but I watched just about every game that year, so I'm telling you what I thought at the time. I could be wrong, as I didn't spend time in the locker room with the team. All I can go by is my opinion on what I watched.

It was like a light switch flipped when we hit the ACC tournament and he just miraculously looked amazing over night. The effort and intensity on shots and rebounds seemed different, and I just kept going, "wow, where has this been all year?" Then he was gone for the NBA, so we didn't get to see it again. Just seemed a bit odd for someone who was most likely a one and done before the season started, and made me question that throughout the year to just instantly look NBA ready.

I don't like the one year rule for this reason (among many others). Because it creates a conflict of interest, or at least the impression of one. If rather just let the kids go pro out of high school.

You are wrong.

Not all kids are Jahlil Okafor, Stanley Johnson and Karl Towns. Some kids are Cliff Alexander or Skal Labissiere. Is Skal sandbagging at UK you think? Or is maybe the jump from complete and total domination in HS where for the most part its clear one side and get out of the way of our mercenary and let him pound the ball into the floor and make something happen, to now a structured offense in a P5 conference against dudes that may have 3 years of man strength and similar athleticism to you all of a sudden, that makes that transition difficult? To think that an 18-19 year old kid is sandbagging for, whatever reason is foolish and slanderous. He wants to play ball, it is not in their DNA (unless they are Carmelo, Dwight Howard in the NBA ALREADY MAKING THAT MONEY YO) to go out there and half *** it most times. If you half *** it the scouts notice it and you just hurt yourself. It doesnt make any sense.

The real problem that year has already been determined. They call it the The Clogged Toilet offense over on the North Korean GTech site. You bring this nonsense over there and rainbow makers, butterfly breeders and bird song writers will run you off faster than you can say "Terrible Hire."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@bke1984 , i think a lot of people had that perception of Favors' GT career. However, the reality is closer to what @dtm1997 said.

Favors was hindered mightily by our guard-play (sic) at the time. The uptick in play also was probably related to the fact that PHew was always a better tournament coach than in-season coach.

On topic, i didnt even watch the uga game. When i got out of Star Wars i checked the score and deleted it from my dvr. We were their Super Bowl this year so it doesnt surprise me to hear they played well.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

With so many relatively new faces it doesn't seem any of them feel the intensity of the rivalry. How many new ones this year won't be here next year?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@bke1984 - I don't disagree that midway through the ACC sked into the ACC tourney, it was like a lightswitch for Favors. It was. It was the lightswitch being flipped to screw all these guards not getting me the ball, I'm gonna do it for myself and get us some wins.

This is why that season is perhaps the single most disappointing in the last 20 years. That should have easily been a Sweet 16 team competing at the top of the ACC. Instead, they needed to get to the ACC championship game just to make the tourney as a 10-seed, Udofia was essentially derailed mentally by Hewitt's yo-yo act, and we get ushered out of a tournament by a top-flight Ohio State team that we probably had the talent to beat.

I also agree with your notion on 1 & dones. I think their needs to be some middle ground to get kids in college to stick around & develop, but let those ready to go skip college altogether.