georgia

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Gregory just lost the only thing he had going for him...beating Georgia.

Unless he goes 11-7 or better in conference (unlikely), we'd better have a new coach. If not, I will not be attending basketball games until we do.

...honestly...we should have a first year coach right now...

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Gregory just lost the only thing he had going for him...beating Georgia.

Unless he goes 11-7 or better in conference (unlikely), we'd better have a new coach. If not, I will not be attending basketball games until we do.

...honestly...we should have a first year coach right now...
Does it help to repeat the same opinion over, and over and over again? We all know how you feel. We knew it a dozen posts ago.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason we just were not ready to play today. Out hustled totally. Very poor showing. But it is only one game.

That game is never just "one" game. There's no excuse for that sort of effort against Georgia.

Poor execution, poor preparation, poor in game coaching. Inexcusable. Didn't expect to see that, but that was very eye opening. If that's any indication of what we will look like I'm ACC play, then get ready for about 4 wins.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Does it help to repeat the same opinion over, and over and over again? We all know how you feel. We knew it a dozen posts ago.

Probably not, but it makes me feel better :)

I try really hard not to rip coaches, but I've really just had it with this guy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Refs had a few phantom/ticky tacky foul calls... other than that we couldn't shot worth a flip for most of the second half.

First half wasn't that bad... Thankfully I was able to time compress with the magic of time shifting and only saw the complete game end shortly after real time. Glad i'm not having to drive home from Athens with after that game, especially the 2nd half.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Didn't help that CM got in foul trouble and had to ride the pine a big chunk of the game.

JJFrazier was almost unconscious today. :(

Last edited:

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't help the CM got in foul trouble and had to ride the pine a big chunk of the game.

JJFrazier was almost unconscious today. :(
Yes and yes. You are also right about the strange officiating. Oh well, at least Duke is losing with 19 seconds left in OT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, if you look at the flipside, CBG had been undefeated during his GT tenure against UGA...and the rest of the seasons sucked.

Maybe this loss will be reverse bad juju and CBG will turn this motley squad into a Tourney team!

(C'mon guys...I'm grasping for something to look on the brightside here...)

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
ESPN3 has been strange lately and sometimes says I don't have that channel in my subscription so I can't watch the game. That was the case today so I can't comment on the game action. Was starting to build some hope after the VCU win that if they could somehow get to 9-9 or maybe 8-10 in the conference they would have a shot at the tournament. Unfortunately I think it is more likely the only chance they have is for the NIT. Next year's team will almost certainly be a step back from this squad and beyond that everything is in limbo. Not a fun time to be a fan of the program.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, if you look at the flipside, CBG had been undefeated during his GT tenure against UGA...and the rest of the seasons sucked.

Maybe this loss will be reverse bad juju and CBG will turn this motley squad into a Tourney team!

(C'mon guys...I'm grasping for something to look on the brightside here...)
I like your thinking!

For months I have been saying that last year our FB team got every good break, and the BB team was snake bit. THIS YEAR, the FB team got bad luck and lost all the toss up games. So if karma balances out, the BB team will win the close games for the rest of this season. At least we can hope so.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As happens the players did not get off the bus today. The comments made during the week by GT players left me with the impression they believed all they had to do was show up.
That's my take.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Watched this game at the bar with a Michigan State fan who was watching the Spartans. He looked up and saw Brian Gregory and said "Hey! It's BG!" About 2 hrs later he said "man, he was supposed to be Izzo's replacement. You can keep him" So hard to even get into basketball anymore. These last 10 years minus 09-10 have been hard to even get excited about.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I like your thinking!

For months I have been saying that last year our FB team got every good break, and the BB team was snake bit. THIS YEAR, the FB team got bad luck and lost all the toss up games. So if karma balances out, the BB team will win the close games for the rest of this season. At least we can hope so.
I like your wishful thinking, but I'm afraid karma will never replace coaching.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I like your thinking!

I'd love nothing more than to see it, but I'm just not sure it'll happen. Close games are typically won by excellent guard play late in games...I just don't see that happening with us.

Regarding the luck argument...I can see how a team that would have gone 8-5 or 9-4 get to 11-3 with luck. But a team doesn't go from being a potential 8-5 team to a 3-9 team because of luck. We lost every power 5 game we played except one that ended on a miracle. The football team was bad, as was last year's basketball team.

I can live with the football team doing this once out of 20 years...tough to stomach the basketball team doing it for 5 years straight. I hope we turn it around and play better in the conference.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The refs sucked going both ways. Period.

That said, UGA deserved to win this game all the way around. Played with more effort. Had better individual performances on offense. Had a defensive style that stymied us on the wing & in the post.

I thought this week would be very telling. If we won both, we might prove to be legit good. If we lost both, we could tailspin to an atrocious year. We split with the loss being a piss-poor effort against our rival.

Either this gets them angry & galvanizes them towards improvement or the shakiness infects the rest of the season.

The ACC remains a strong conference this year, but the parity is there for us to win our share of games if they play like we did against VCU.

Doubt we're better than an NIT team at best. Didn't think BG should have stayed in place after last season, but I remain convinced if we didn't have the money then to remove him, we won't this season, so I'm along for the ride and will support the team.

If you don't want to support the team, then don't. Step away, have a drink, relax, take a nap, & come back around when someone else is in charge.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Just an ugly game to watch. What a weak effort by our team. That game was the exact same team we've seen the last 4 years. Clogged toilet offense with no movement and forcing up bad shots.

I was getting semi-excited about this season but after that game....nope. Wake me up when Basketball is relevant again. And I hate it because I like Gregory as a person, just wish he was a good coach.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Watched this game at the bar with a Michigan State fan who was watching the Spartans. He looked up and saw Brian Gregory and said "Hey! It's BG!" About 2 hrs later he said "man, he was supposed to be Izzo's replacement. You can keep him" So hard to even get into basketball anymore. These last 10 years minus 09-10 have been hard to even get excited about.

I agree. Even 09-10 was tough. We really didn't look so hot until the ACC tournament. I think Favors sand bagged a little bit during the season and then gave full effort when we got into the post season.

If I remember correctly we had to win a few games in the ACC tournament to make the NCAA tournament, right?

Tough thing is its more like a 20 year problem. 03-04 was great, but we were 9-7 in conference. It wasn't exactly like we were world beaters that year, just got hot at the right time (and don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved it)....but here's the thing...that is the ONLY TIME since the Marbury season we've been above .500 in conference.

We really should expect more, but honestly I'd take .500 in conference play most years with better seasons here and there...and I don't think that's too much to ask.