georgia

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Saturday, noon (SECN)

Time to make it five straight wins over the mutts

THWg!

46f58869ec1e4cefcc308c36e9f48d67.jpg

We are a better TEAM at the moment. You never know how a game unfolds on the road, but w/ that being said, I like our chances beating those arse sniffers. If the team plays like they have been, Tech wins going away. I know like everyone else that isn't going to happen. It will be a nail biter. Good guys win.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I remember a game in Athens back in the Hewitt days when a clearly better GT team got robbed by the SEC refs...who called us for an incredible numbers of fouls. Given the new rules, it wouldn't surprise me to see a repeat of the officiating performance to keep guys like MGH and CM on our bench instead of on the floor.

Call me paranoid.

conyersmike

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking about taking the family to the game Saturday. How's the hospitality to tech fans? Is it as antagonistic as the football games in Athens?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I was thinking about taking the family to the game Saturday. How's the hospitality to tech fans? Is it as antagonistic as the football games in Athens?
They don't take hoops nearly as serious, compared to football. You should be safe with the family. Park close and try not to loiter around after the game.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
With students gone on break, I bet Stegeman will be about half full. Energy will be low, and as a poster said before, their attitude toward basketball is generally apathetic. You should be fine.

On the energy note, we must be sure not to get lulled to sleep by the environment. They will be ready to play, regardless of what the crowd looks/acts like. Containing their guards and dominating the post will be the key. Chuck and Nick should get every opportunity to have a field day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good points @ramblinwreck1378 . Their guards are athletic but not great shooters IIRC and their post players are sub-par. Dominating the glass will be key. The Maten kid is talented.

Also, has Mann been there for like 8 years already?

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA has 3 players that are decent. Gaines. Mann, and Maten. Gaines and Mann are good players, but not overwhelming. We just need play decent perimeter defense. Now if we struggle covering the perimeter, those 2 could hurt us. Maten is a good post player but he is going to get a lot of contact between Mitchell and Jacobs. I think we will own them on the glass. I watched about 80% of 1 UGA game this year and outside of the main 3 players for them, their team is lacking talent big time. I would say we win this by 10-12 points.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely agree that we seem to be playing better basketball than them at this point of the season, BUT, I hope we are all expecting the Dogs best effort.

I think that it will take another very strong performance on our part to come out victorious. They know that they have lost to us 4 straight times, and they will be more motivated for this game than any so far.

My keys to victory.

- Guard the 3 pt line. Don't let Gaines, Mann, and Frazier beat you from deep and they all like to shoot it. In the half court and in transition.
- Dominate the Glass: We should have an advantage on the interior, let's pound the glass and limit them to one shot.
- Guard the ball: Their guards like to go one-on-one, and it will be important for us to keep the ball in front of us.

Real big game for us and always important on the recruiting trail. Really looking forward to this one. A win here will tell me a lot about these guys.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I remember a game in Athens back in the Hewitt days when a clearly better GT team got robbed by the SEC refs...who called us for an incredible numbers of fouls. Given the new rules, it wouldn't surprise me to see a repeat of the officiating performance to keep guys like MGH and CM on our bench instead of on the floor.

Call me paranoid.
That was 2003-04 season. Our first loss of the year. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen outside of a game at Cameron Indoor.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm. We beat VCU before league play that season too, iirc.
Didn't lose to East Tennessee State though. Who by the way is terrible. They're a very bad basketball team - losses to Charleston Southern, UNC Wilmington (by 21), Tennessee Tech, and UNC Asheville (by 20). Not to derail, but that's a game that goes in the "bad loss" column come resume comparison time.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We played a much better game on the perimeter against VCU and that will be required again Saturday. uga is not a great team, but they are eight deep with guys who can play. That said, we should win this game. CBG won't have any trouble getting all these Georgia natives up for the game. Just another reason to recruit Atlanta area kids. Five in a row is starting to sound like dominance. Go Jackets. THWG.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
That's strange that he talked about TJ's defense. I will say he seems to be improving the last few games at least offensively. He has definitely been working on his shot (despite that terrible form and slow release). He has been short on almost every shot his whole career and vs Tulane I could tell he put a little more behind his shot and he drained some. I like him handling the ball, he is a lot more smooth dribbling than Heath, but Heath has more ability to score. Heath makes me nervous taking the ball up against pressure, I really noticed it during VCU.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's strange that he talked about TJ's defense. I will say he seems to be improving the last few games at least offensively. He has definitely been working on his shot (despite that terrible form and slow release). He has been short on almost every shot his whole career and vs Tulane I could tell he put a little more behind his shot and he drained some. I like him handling the ball, he is a lot more smooth dribbling than Heath, but Heath has more ability to score. Heath makes me nervous taking the ball up against pressure, I really noticed it during VCU.
Maybe TJ's holding Corey scoreless in practice!