Georgia Tech Volleyball With 6 Straight...SWEEPS

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

csmith515

Georgia Tech Fan
FSU swept a highly ranked Minnesota team early in the year, gave them the needed boost to make it. We sadly had a terrible out of conference performance so we didn’t get a quality win notable enough to send us. Beating Pitt would have been more than enough, can’t miss two serves in a row at the end of the 5th set

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We lost to Kennesaw St. early on. They were 22-8 and did make the NCAA Tournament.
GT had 9 ACC sweeps, and 14-1 in their last 15 matches. Too bad the committee didn’t reward a younger team, playing really good VB in the back half of the schedule. Not to mention 2nd out of 15 in the ACC.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The other three were 35 and below in RPI. Pitt was ranked #2 and upset Oregon, finished 29-1 and wound up with a 6 seed. Tech had a 57 RPI, schedule hurt us too.

It is difficult to fathom to me, because of the 14-4 conference record. 21 wins.

I sat and watched teams like Illinois and USC with records like 16-13 and 17-13 get in.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If y'all have the time, watch the Wisconsin/Penn St match from Fri Nov 29... it was amazing... and watching that also made me realize that they're on another level. I can't believe Pitt is as ranked as high as they are after watching us play them (no knock on our ladies) and watching the Big 10 monsters play.

That said, we got shafted... the automatic entries of winning a no-name conference is also taking spots away. And csmith515, you're absolutely right, if we beat Pitt, that would've been our signature win and we would've been in. If we can pin it on that one moment from the season, that was it. And boy did we almost have it. We were 13-13 in the 5th set and coming out of a timeout, unfortunately, Pitt took the next two points. And that was an away game mind you.

I really feel so bad for our ladies. They fought so hard... amazing comeback games vs NC State and ND just in the last one month.

Next year is gonna be really exciting! We lose Komby (sob) but everyone else comes back and I'm seeing Erin Moss to fill in nicely for Komby... mind you, what if we get another freshman phenom like Bergman? Can't wait.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Georgia Tech volleyball earned its second-straight bid to the National Invitational Volleyball Championship. Tech will host Alabama A&M, Troy and North Carolina A&T in the opening round, facing off against Alabama A&M on Friday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. Single elimination, with winners meeting Saturday the 7th of Dec. at 7 p.m.
https://www.womensnivc.com/tournament-field.html
https://www.womensnivc.com/tournament-field.html
https://ramblinwreck.com/tech-hosts-second-straight-nivc/

Georgia Tech volleyball head coach Michelle Collier added Savannah Ogle and Isabella D’Amico to the 2020 roster during the fall signing period.

“We are so excited about our 2020 class,” said Collier. “They will be a great compliment to our returning roster and will keep raising the talent level in our gym.”

Last edited:

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess the positive thing is that they'll be playing at O'Keefe two more times this week!
Recruiting for 2020 is not done yet right? We have 4 seniors in the 2019 squad... need at least 2 more?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s single elimination, so we have to win Friday to play on Saturday.
Sort of a mini-final four.

Believe we have 5 seniors. Could sign 3, unless holding any schollies over? Spring period in April, should net a few more. Please correct me if I’m mistaken?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT hit .545, 4th best mark in program history.
Troy is up tonight. Better competition for Tech.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I was there last night... it's not even close. I started feeling bad for Alabama A&M. I did look up the coach Rose Powell later... she's quite accomplished! 1984 Olympic team (silver) and played professionally in Japan for 9 years! I'm sure everyone was feeling bittersweet (er, angry) about being left out of the NCAA tourney. I was ready to crap on FSU for losing the first round like, "see we told you!" but if you watch the FSU/UCF match, it went to 5 sets and the next day, UCF gave Florida some good competition at least the first set.