Georgia Tech Volleyball With 6 Straight...SWEEPS

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just one match left, a road match next weekend vs a below average Miami squad (6-9 in league play). If GT wins that, they should clinch 2nd place in the league. They would finish 14-4, remarkable after a 1-3 start, and hold the tie-breaker over UNC (who should also finish 14-4) by virtue of their road win at UNC earlier this year.

NCAA invite possible?

Deleted member 2897

Just one match left, a road match next weekend vs a below average Miami squad (6-9 in league play). If GT wins that, they should clinch 2nd place in the league. They would finish 14-4, remarkable after a 1-3 start, and hold the tie-breaker over UNC (who should also finish 14-4) by virtue of their road win at UNC earlier this year.

NCAA invite possible?

I think 32 teams get in. So you would think a 2nd or 3rd place finish in a P5 conference would all but guarantee you admittance. But volleyball is one of those sports where you have excellent teams from well beyond.

A week ago, our RPI was #64, behind several ACC teams we've beat. I really don't know how the RPI in volleyball works. We're now 19-8. A 15-11 Southern California team is #19.

In the regular rankings, Illinois is ranked #25 by the coaches, and is 13-12. Only 1 ACC team (Pittsburgh) is ranked...there's not another ACC team even getting extra votes.

Based on everything I see and in my ignorance, we deserve to be in the top 32, but we won't.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT has 20 wins after this past weekend.

64 teams get in the NCAA Tournament. 32 automatic and 32 at large.

Real-time RPI has the ACC #6 out of 32 leagues(that was 2018-19, not updated, although gives you an idea of where our conference ranked within a year ago).

The AVCA Coaches poll has Illinois ranked 25th with a 13-12 record through Nov. 17.

N.D. was 32nd coming into this weekend. We should move into the 50’s in RPI. Beat Miami, it’s pretty much a given we are in. A loss, it might be a 50-50 deal or worse.

• Overall 20-8
  • Conf. 13-4
  • Home 13-1
  • Away 5-6
  • Neutral 2-1

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

GT has 20 wins after this past weekend.

64 teams get in the NCAA Tournament. 32 automatic and 32 at large.

Real-time RPI has the ACC #6 out of 32 leagues(that was 2018-19, not updated, although gives you an idea of where our conference ranked within a year ago).

The AVCA Coaches poll has Illinois ranked 25th with a 13-12 record through Nov. 17.

N.D. was 32nd coming into this weekend. We should move into the 50’s in RPI. Beat Miami, it’s pretty much a given we are in. A loss, it might be a 50-50 deal or worse.

• Overall 20-8
  • Conf. 13-4
  • Home 13-1
  • Away 5-6
  • Neutral 2-1

Thanks for the correction, I didn't realize it was 64. I don't see any way we WONT get in after how we've been playing if there are 64 teams. Everything is in our favor. Our record. Our performance against top teams like Pitt (a 26-1 team who beat us 15-13 in the 5th set at their place). And how we finished the season versus the beginning.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The only dilemma is slipping with a loss to Miami in The Gables. Could conceivably give ND and UNCheat a chance. Also, the automatic qualifiers can get a bump ahead of us-just like in March Madness. I won’t analyze all that. As you probably know, the ACC does not have a conference tournament. Let me stop here, because that’s all on the negative side of GT losing their last regular season game vs. an inferior opponent.

I’m proud of the 20 wins and conference comeback in a spiking way! Wish we could have a rematch with the Mutts. Wonder if that could be a pairing in the postseason?

Also, there is a Volleyball sort of WNIT if you will(Dawgs have made the NCAA tough, with an RPI better than the Irish). At least the Jackets are going to be playing in December. It’s been a draught.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
We received one vote this week in the AVCA Coaches poll, so that's something - not sure the last time that's happened.

RPI has us at 57, but the Notre Dame team we just beat at 34. I see us making it in with a win against Miami. Should still make it in with a loss, but let's avoid that hypothetical!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the ND match this past Sunday (11/24) and wow, what a thriller! If you have access to replays on ACC Network (I get it thru Youtube TV), then it's a must watch. I think GT Volleyball is the best kept secret in all of GT sports! Watching them is really fun! (and only $5 to boot). The NC State match on Nov 3 is a must watch too.

The 2016 team went 24-8 and still weren't invited to the tourney... they did lose the final game vs FSU tho... so I would say the Miami game this Friday's going to be a must-win for this team. I do hope the selection body looks at stats other than win-loss. This year's team has really impressed me with their tenacity and never giving up. The season started off pretty average (remember, we're pretty much all sophomores and one true freshman) and they had a 3-loss streak in late Sep/early Oct that could've done them in spirit-wise but since then, they've been on a tear. I would love to know what happened in the locker room for such an impressive change. Since the Oct 6 loss to ND, they've been 13-1 (with win this Fri) and the only loss was a 5-set match that took #5 Pitt (RPI, #2 Coaches) to the brink, losing the final set 13-15... other fun facts - this team set a school record of 6 straight sweeps in Oct and 2 more since then.

It's going to be tough losing Comby but we have 2 more years of the current sophomore squad, plus the freshman Julia Bergman (6'5", plays on the Brazilian nat team) was a huge pickup. It's going to be an exciting next few years!!!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Final match of the season today at 3pm EST at Miami! You can watch it on WatchESPN online if you have the access. Paid ESPN+ service is NOT required but you'd need a TV service nonetheless for access (I have Youtube TV).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The 2019 DI women's volleyball championship bracket will be announced Sunday, Dec. 1 at 8:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU.

The tournament will consist of 64 teams. It will be made up of best-of-five set matches in a single-elimination tournament.

The 2019 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship will be held at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
We must surely make the NCAA Tournament correct? Is that announced Sunday evening?

We did everything we could do, which is to win out and win out with a sweep. Now it's up to the NCAA.
We're right on the bubble, ranked at 57. Though we finished 2nd in the ACC, in terms of rankings, Louisville, ND, and FSU are all ahead of us at 24, 34, and 35 respectively. Hopefully they let us into the 64.