Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You missed my point. The issue is not what fans put up with. It's what players put up with.
Sure, that is a good point. Accepted.

My point is simply that even players seem to put up with more if a program is winning. They become a little like rape victims who don't speak out because the perpetrator is so "well respected" and holds all the cards on your future.

I have never heard of CPast abusing players the way Knight or Coach K have in the past. But if he did, and I sure hope he didn't, then the pattern would be that as long as the program is winning players tend to not squawk. Players can leave a program for a variety of reasons but not many left Indiana or Duke as long as they were winning.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
At best, we hired someone who will keep us about where we are. That is sad. I realize this is my opinion, but I see nothing in this guy's past to make me believe differently.

You mean other than his record and recruiting? Oh, I see your mistake. I think you only looked at his last two years. He has actually been coaching longer than that.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's give CJP a chance. He is an excellent recruiter. I expect our talent level to greatly improve over the next 2-3 years. That's the biggest issue with our team right now. Despite missing the tournament the past 2 years his overall record is much more impressive than CBG or even the beloved CBC. Even Cremins had some years where he didn't make it to the tournament. Le's not throw this guy under the bus. Let's see who he brings in as his assistants and who he can recruit this year and in 2017.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed but IMHO we should have done better and if we were not able too do so we should have just kept BG.
If we'd kept BG, AMC would be empty next year and we'd all be complaining that MBob was a lousy AD for not firing him.
Yeah, you knew that too.
There are others I'd have preferred, but it's a chance for me to find out if MBob is as bright a basketball mind as I heard. I'm not cautiously optimistic, but I'm watching. With Gregory, I'd given up.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach K's players almost universally love him. Certainly in the last 10 years it's been this way. I used to hate the guy as much as anyone else, but after being up close for 4 years I have nothing but respect. In fact he and CPJ have a lot in common in that he is very misunderstood and often mischaracterized by fans of opposing teams. Only difference is K is a bit more media friendly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There's no need to be disrespectful of others with different opinions. But I guess it can be fun.

The last two years were also the first in the AAC, playing some old BigEast and not the teams left behind in ConfUSA where mem racked up wins. Ref to record alone is misleading.

I posted a link to a game vs OK at the beginning of last season. Mem should have won. So there's no doubt that that he can coach against big boys. Mem did get to AAC CG, but got whooped by uconn.

So, I think the jury is still out on going ag an ACC sched. We have indicators for both answers.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Coach K's players almost universally love him. Certainly in the last 10 years it's been this way. I used to hate the guy as much as anyone else, but after being up close for 4 years I have nothing but respect. In fact he and CPJ have a lot in common in that he is very misunderstood and often mischaracterized by fans of opposing teams. Only difference is K is a bit more media friendly.

And a Ratface

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
All I have to say is that @Peacone36 has put his avatar back right, and all is well with the world. :)

If:

1. We hire a few out-of-the-park HR assistants;

2. CJP has been told he needs to be able to listen and accept advice, and

3. There's not some insanely stupid buyout in his contract

I am a very happy camper. The guy is very intelligent, very talented, and very (maybe a little too) high energy.

I'd rather swing for the fences than be careful. If CJP succeeds, MBob will be the bball genius he was hired to be. I think there's a better than 50/50 chance it'll work out that way.

I'm looking forward to supporting the team and seeing what he can do.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
All I have to say is that @Peacone36 has put his avatar back right, and all is well with the world. :)

If:

1. We hire a few out-of-the-park HR assistants;

2. CJP has been told he needs to be able to listen and accept advice, and

3. There's not some insanely stupid buyout in his contract

I am a very happy camper. The guy is very intelligent, very talented, and very (maybe a little too) high energy.

I'd rather swing for the fences than be careful. If CJP succeeds, MBob will be the bball genius he was hired to be. I think there's a better than 50/50 chance it'll work out that way.

I'm looking forward to supporting the team and seeing what he can do.
Exactly how I feel, but you said it better....

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If and hopefully when Tech makes Sweet 16 in year 2 -3 of CJP, MBob is going to be serving crow to a lot of folks, he will look like a genius "stealing" CJP from Memphis, convincing CJP to take less money even though he is moving up in Conf, and somehow tricking Memphis into sweetening the pot to the tune of 1-2 million!

What a genius. They will say "He negotiates better than President Trump!"

I hope like hell this comes to pass (except the President Trump thing).

Go Tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
If and hopefully when Tech makes Sweet 16 in year 2 -3 of CJP, MBob is going to be serving crow to a lot of folks, he will look like a genius "stealing" CJP from Memphis, convincing CJP to take less money even though he is moving up in Conf, and somehow tricking Memphis into sweetening the pot to the tune of 1-2 million!

What a genius. They will say "He negotiates better than President Trump!"

I hope like hell this comes to pass (except the President Trump thing).

Go Tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make Tech great again

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For those on Twitter following this guy might be helpful in getting your mind rite for CJP

The unsilent josh Pastner fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but I just saw it elsewhere and thought it was worth posting here ---
http://www.todaysu.com/acc-today/ge...s-never-going-to-do-better-than-josh-pastner/
I think this is an accurate portrait of where the GT program is and the impact Pastner will have on the program. I trust everyone noticed that basketball coaches were not rushing the GT stockade to take the job. GT had a job few wanted.

If Pastner recruits at GT anywhere near his past classes the wins will come. As has been noted over the past 12 decades "good players make good coaches". (Yeah I know the reverse...)