Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jeff Goodman's take from Friday, echoing the sentiment that GT is a better fit and better timing for Pastner:

Thanks for posting this. Love me some Prim :love:, but I guess that's not the primary reason for watching the link.

Interesting to keep hearing the notion that CPast had trouble recruiting the big/bad inner-city kids. Interesting in that no one put forth this theory while he was struggling. They just painted the picture that he's a bad coach.

I'm also beyond tired of Goodman and his crones potty-mouthing the GT job but touting MEM as a top 15 job in the nation. Had they never hired Calipari, Memphis State would probably be on the level of UAB or some such place. He states that CPast was MEM's like 15th choice or something. Interesting for a job that's apparently soooo sought-after.

Anyway, it could be that CPast meshes better with Atlanta kids especially with him getting out from Calipari's shadow.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this. Love me some Prim :love:, but I guess that's not the primary reason for watching the link.

Interesting to keep hearing the notion that CPast had trouble recruiting the big/bad inner-city kids. Interesting in that no one put forth this theory while he was struggling. They just painted the picture that he's a bad coach.

I'm also beyond tired of Goodman and his crones potty-mouthing the GT job but touting MEM as a top 15 job in the nation. Had they never hired Calipari, Memphis State would probably be on the level of UAB or some such place. He states that CPast was MEM's like 15th choice or something. Interesting for a job that's apparently soooo sought-after.

Anyway, it could be that CPast meshes better with Atlanta kids especially with him getting out from Calipari's shadow.

Wait, that wasn't the primary reason for the link? smh. Should've been

Fwiw, he suggested the problem wasn't recruiting but coaching the local kids. However, Shaq's interview makes it seem communication and consistency in playing time were bigger issues. We'll see.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
What was the state of the GT basketball program on March 30, 2016? Would anyone disagree with rock bottom?

What is the state off the GT basketball program on March 30, 2020? This answer will decide CJP's future at GT as head bb coach.

tigerrrrs

Banned
Well, now that this is over, I'm probably going to post a bit more intermittently the next couple of weeks as I head on vacation.

As much as this is greatly to my dismay, I'm going to give Pastner a chance, as I would any new coach. As @DaBiz has pointed out, the dude is going to hit the recruiting trail hard and get us players. We have to hope Bobinski recognizes the shortcomings and gets him help on the Xs & Os front and we go from there.

In the meantime, with the recruiting season opening, I'll be back in my lair in the player threads. See you all on the other side.

Guys, if you think Pastner is going to out-recruit other coaches, you are sadly mistaken. Yes, in a one-bid league, he can recruit, but in a league such as the AAC or not to mention the big dog, ACC, dude will not be able to tote their jock strap. The last two years Josh has brought nothing but JCO players and transfers to Memphis. He is way over-rated on recruiting. There is not a player in the NBA who is a well know starter that came from Pastner, other than one, which I can't think of his name, HA!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Are things that really boring for Memphis athletics? Like don't you guys have any other sports or something to talk about so you don't have to come to another team's board everyday to talk about how happy you are that you are now coachless and your 4 star point guard has decommited. Like we get it you don't like him that's cool and all but we don't care, we think it's a good hire and are glad to have him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigerrrrs

Banned
Are things that really boring for Memphis athletics? Like don't you guys have any other sports or something to talk about so you don't have to come to another team's board everyday to talk about how happy you are that you are now coachless and your 4 star point guard has decommited. Like we get it you don't like him that's cool and all but we don't care, we think it's a good hire and are glad to have him here.

Oh I'm still on cloud 9!! Have been waiting on this day for about 4 years now. And, as to the 4 star point guard. Don't let those gaudy stars beside a recruit fool ya. They can be 7 stars, but Pastner will still find out a way to make them transfer at the end of the year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, I'm not typing it, but @tigerrrrs is definitely the voice in my head since the announcement was made.

Of course, it has a Miss accent rather than W TN, but there you go.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oh I'm still on cloud 9!! Have been waiting on this day for about 4 years now. And, as to the 4 star point guard. Don't let those gaudy stars beside a recruit fool ya. They can be 7 stars, but Pastner will still find out a way to make them transfer at the end of the year.

Kindly, add something meaningful or discussion-worthy or head back to Dockery-Finch please.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys, if you think Pastner is going to out-recruit other coaches, you are sadly mistaken. Yes, in a one-bid league, he can recruit, but in a league such as the AAC or not to mention the big dog, ACC, dude will not be able to tote their jock strap. The last two years Josh has brought nothing but JCO players and transfers to Memphis. He is way over-rated on recruiting. There is not a player in the NBA who is a well know starter that came from Pastner, other than one, which I can't think of his name, HA!

lmao; that's because it's Memphis...the kids who he will be recruiting to GT wouldn't go to Memphis.

The culture is different, he said it over and over again during his presser.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, Tigerrs, we get it. I'm glad to know you've got EVERYTHING figured out. You are probably the same guy that can actually GUARANTEE who will win a particular game during a season. Thank you for gracing us with your infinite wisdom ( all 4 posts ). Let us have our hopes and dreams, you are obviously way smarter than anyone posting here. You need to go national, man and quit wasting your time on this board. ( All sarcasm intended ).

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Back to the GT portion of the thread... I would love to see Tech in the top 25 every year (see post a back before the Memphis trolls hopped on).... unfortunately, that has never happened in my lifetime (I'm 50). At best, Tech has had 4 or 5 years runs in the top 25, broken up by 8 - 10 year runs on the outside looking in.

I will be thrilled if Pastner can get Tech back into the NCAAs by year 4. I would like to see the program back to a point that the NCAA is a realistic goal every year. It's been a LONG time since that was the case, but it is definitely within reach. It's just going to take some time to get recruiting up to the necessary level

Darkmyst

Georgia Tech Fan

To put in perspective how much we wanted to go separate ways - If paying the $10M buyout on his contract had made even the tiniest, remotest sense we'd have written the check and pulled the rip cord before midnight struck on Selection Sunday. As for someone who never played here de-committing, I'll take that over watching more juniors and sophomores transfer like I have the last 3 years.

I don't wish Josh or you guys ill and really do hope it works out for you both. It's not easy being the guy who follows the guy but I think Josh did mostly OK with that part. Needless to say he needed a change of scenery and we needed to see someone else on the sideline. You guys just need to hope he hires assistants he'll listen to occasionally because he stopped to listening to his here about 3 years ago and it didn't work out too well.