Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
[QUOTE
="LawTalkin Jacket, post: 221091, member: 1238"]If and hopefully when Tech makes Sweet 16 in year 2 -3 of CJP, MBob is going to be serving crow to a lot of folks, he will look like a genius "stealing" CJP from Memphis, convincing CJP to take less money even though he is moving up in Conf, and somehow tricking Memphis into sweetening the pot to the tune of 1-2 million!

What a genius. They will say "He negotiates better than President Trump!"

I hope like hell this comes to pass (except the President Trump thing).

Go Tech!

[/QUOTE]

Let there be NO DOUBT, I hope you are 100% correct!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Getting back in the saddle and frankly am disappointed with the "big splash"...

With that said, I'll continue to support GT and be puling for CJP to land some damn good recruits - get a damn point guard - and hoping he can bring us to being in th etop third of the ACC on a regular basis, with some Final Four runs to boot.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Getting back in the saddle and frankly am disappointed with the "big splash"...

With that said, I'll continue to support GT and be puling for CJP to land some damn good recruits - get a damn point guard - and hoping he can bring us to being in th etop third of the ACC on a regular basis, with some Final Four runs to boot.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure cjp is not the "big splash" but where we went after.

Darkmyst

Georgia Tech Fan
Really hope this works out for you guys since Tech has always been the ACC school I pull for. Maybe it will turn out to be one of those cases where things had run their course here and each side of the table needed to see different faces on the other side of the table. That said *HUGE* thanks to you guys for helping us get out of that insane contract he had here. Maybe this works out to the best for both of us - I certainly feel more pumped up about Tiger basketball next year than I ever thought possible 3 weeks ago.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow

You know, the more I think about this hire, the less risky I think it is. What's the worst case scenario? We continue to not reach the postseason and we're looking for another coach in 3 years without two buyouts hanging over us. That's better than what we're dealing with now. That's assuming of course that Pastner's buyout isn't crazy, which is not a safe assumption I know.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You know, the more I think about this hire, the less risky I think it is. What's the worst case scenario? We continue to not reach the postseason and we're looking for another coach in 3 years without two buyouts hanging over us. That's better than what we're dealing with now. That's assuming of course that Pastner's buyout isn't crazy, which is not a safe assumption I know.

This is kind of where I'm at as well.

We wanted a change.
We got a change.
The fan base has to wait probably 4 years to see results on the court. 2-3 in other areas. By that time we are free and clear of the Hewitt anchor and may actually be able to believe our AD if he says money won't be a constraint. Not to question those in the know, but if we really offered 2.7MM to Drew I'd be shocked.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The realistic worst case scenario is we're doing this again in 4 years (barring off the court stuff I can't see a coach getting fired in 3.) Even then I think 4 years is probably not going to happen unless a complete bomb job occurs. Even if year 4 is an NIT, with no other post season appearances before then, I doubt we'd make a move unless it was like this year where everyone who was anyone on the team was a senior. An NIT bid in year 4 with any sort of positive outlook for year 5 would probably be enough to keep Pastner here.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is kind of where I'm at as well.

We wanted a change.
We got a change.
The fan base has to wait probably 4 years to see results on the court. 2-3 in other areas. By that time we are free and clear of the Hewitt anchor and may actually be able to believe our AD if he says money won't be a constraint. Not to question those in the know, but if we really offered 2.7MM to Drew I'd be shocked.

Essentially the AD got the fans off his back for the 3 years remaining of Hewit's buyout and got Memphis to kick in the CBG buyout. I think he was beginning to feel the heat from his weird extension and the state of the BB program. He is going to catch some flack for this hire and I expect some of the money alums are a bit pissed about the process. But he got what he needed to get over the weird extension he gave CBG. Throw in a few more butts in the seats as hope for a new coach springs eternal and there is a short term upside.

That doesn't mean CJP only gets 3 years - I think it will be 4 barring a disaster - but it is my view of what happened here.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Essentially the AD got the fans off his back for the 3 years remaining of Hewit's buyout and got Memphis to kick in the CBG buyout. I think he was beginning to feel the heat from his weird extension and the state of the BB program. He is going to catch some flack for this hire and I expect some of the money alums are a bit pissed about the process. But he got what he needed to get over the weird extension he gave CBG. Throw in a few more butts in the seats as hope for a new coach springs eternal and there is a short term upside.

That doesn't mean CJP only gets 3 years - I think it will be 4 barring a disaster - but it is my view of what happened here.

Yup me too

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Two or three years from now when we are in the top 20 every year, everyone that had doubts and think it was a bad hire should man/woman up and apologize to the AD. I think that CJP is going to put GT on the map again. I like this hire and I am ready to see what he can do in the ACC. This is just my opinion.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Two or three years from now when we are in the top 20 every year, everyone that had doubts and think it was a bad hire should man/woman up and apologize to the AD. I think that CJP is going to put GT on the map again. I like this hire and I am ready to see what he can do in the ACC. This is just my opinion.
I will gladly apologize. I have no problem being humble if we are that good at basketball. In fact, I will apologize and thank him for hiring CJP if that comes to pass.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm an apologizing guy, so I have no problem with that, but I'd probably complain about why CJP was MBob's 5th choice instead of 1st.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting read from last summer. Talks about some of the challenges of the Memphis job, more specifically, recruiting and coaching top local talent.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...jackson-austin-nichols-transfer-john-calipari

I alluded to it in another thread, it's one of the reasons why CJP may be a better fit at GT...GT just attracts a different type of SA. CJP isn't totally absolved of some of the problems he had at Memphis, as the article discusses. The key here is Pastner needs to probably have a more seasoned assistant coach who has been through some of the landmines of dealing with highly talented SAs.

slugboy

Staff member

The buyout increase was automatic in the extension. I'm not sure who should have called out "hey, there's a clause here in the contract you oughta be aware of" or if MBob should have caught that himself. I don't know how it was written, and don't know if I would have caught it.
It would have taken some major league brass to say "nope, I won't fire you but I won't extend you either", and I'm sure that other coaches would have seen that as an AD who would hang them out to dry. His only option seems to have been to catch that and to renegotiate the buyout down as part of the extension. How that made it into the original contract is, well let's say pretty impressive on the part of Gregory's agent.