Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps one of the conditions of his employment was that he will listen to mentors and qualified assistants?

The more I read, the more enthusiastic I am becoming about him. Especially if we got some $ from Memphis that can go to first-rate assistants, this is a fresh start for us, a fresh start for Josh, and a fresh start for Memphis. If CJP comes close to his ceiling here, it will be a lot of fun.
Personaly I like the hire, I think if he learns from his mistakes at Memphis he can be as good as the other guys we were talking about going after. The only thing about it imo is that it will either turn out to be a great hire or a really bad one, I don't see it being somewhere in the middle because people are already bashing him without giving him a chance and they are acting like they know the whole situation when he was at Memphis and why things went down the past 2 years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you please some of you guys. The guy is apparently known as an incredible recruiter, which we could really use these days.

Perhaps it should be stressed that the three best seasons we ever had were under great recruiters who weren't that great with Xs and Os...

Tough to get a guy that is amazing at both. We're you hoping we were going to convince Roy Williams to give up the Carolina gig and move down to Atlanta?

No but we through out plenty of candidates that were far better options

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
The biggest problem is that the stuff Pastner is terrible at are core personality traits that are very unlikely to change. He cannot relate to players, alienates them and cannot motivate them. He's awful at the day to day personal interactions that are the core of being a college basketball coach.

There's a reason the die hard basketball fans HATE this hire (Red(!) was campaigning to get people to call into try and have the contract blocked ... he's not an irrational person, he knows his stuff). This stuff isn't a secret by the way, it's quite well known around the basketball community - and it will have (and already has had) an impact on his ability to recruit. The words gets around - guys talk to their old AAU coaches, etc ...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The biggest problem is that the stuff Pastner is terrible at are core personality traits that are very unlikely to change. He cannot relate to players, alienates them and cannot motivate them. He's awful at the day to day personal interactions that are the core of being a college basketball coach.

There's a reason the die hard basketball fans HATE this hire (Red(!) was campaigning to get people to call into try and have the contract blocked ... he's not an irrational person, he knows his stuff). This stuff isn't a secret by the way, it's quite well known around the basketball community - and it will have (and already has had) an impact on his ability to recruit. The words gets around - guys talk to their old AAU coaches, etc ...

Vad,

Do you think if guys like Huff or White are on the staff they mitigate his abrasive/militant style? Do they have those personalities? (That you know of)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I absolutely hear what you are saying and the recent transfers out of Memphis definitely seem to support what you are saying. However, that is also hard to reconcile with his ability to recruit so well. If the guy's personality is that awful and turns kids off, how is he able to consistently get those kids to commit? I am hoping the traits you are complaining about are more management skills, something that absolutely can improve. Especially being a high level manager at such a young age, it is certainly reasonable to think that he would have room to grow. We are not talking Bobby Knight or anything here.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely hear what you are saying and the recent transfers out of Memphis definitely seem to support what you are saying. However, that is also hard to reconcile with his ability to recruit so well. If the guy's personality is that awful and turns kids off, how is he able to consistently get those kids to commit? I am hoping the traits you are complaining about are more management skills, something that absolutely can improve. Especially being a high level manager at such a young age, it is certainly reasonable to think that he would have room to grow. We are not talking Bobby Knight or anything here.

A lot of his recent recruiting was JUCO. That does raise a flag about whether he can keep up his earlier success at the HS level. I am all for giving a guy a second chance but would much rather have him spend a few years somewhere else first.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A lot of his recent recruiting was JUCO. That does raise a flag about whether he can keep up his earlier success at the HS level. I am all for giving a guy a second chance but would much rather have him spend a few years somewhere else first.

I think that was back-filling from unexpected transfers.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
may well have been but his recent HS recruiting is not nearly as good as it was orignially. Now you can make the case he has to close JUCO guys who know the recent score just like HS guys do. But it is a concern - at least to me. One of many.

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
You sold your souls by hiring Cal. No morals. Reap it heathen.
I'd like to point out we have shown nothing but respect for the GT program. To call us all heathens for hiring Calipari is not only ridiculous, but uncalled for. Since you claim we have no morals I guess you forget pastner was a Calipari assistant at Memphis before taking the job. So I would guess by your logic and transitive propery that means you are also a heathen and have no morals. I don't believe that but it is nice to point out the flaw in your logic

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to point out we have shown nothing but respect for the GT program. To call us all heathens for hiring Calipari is not only ridiculous, but uncalled for. Since you claim we have no morals I guess you forget pastner was a Calipari assistant at Memphis before taking the job. So I would guess by your logic and transitive propery that means you are also a heathen and have no morals. I don't believe that but it is nice to point out the flaw in your logic

Please ignore our angry old guy crowd.

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
Bobby sounds pretty skeptical in that interview while trying to paint it in a positive light.
The one guy is off base on one point. When calipari left he took everything with him. Dcousins,John wall, Eric Bledsoe. All went to UK. And Josh still won. That is how we got DJ Stephens. We needed warm bodies. The rest I can't really dispute. The amount of high level xfers out of town with mostly local Memphis kids is incredible.

Last edited:

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
They just had a guy that's been covering Memphis for a while on 92.9 and he was saying he's know for his recruiting but not so much his x and o. He also said not all Memphis fans are happy because he's gone but because of what they were paying him. His down fall is that he is stubborn and didn't want to hire any x head coaches to learn from, and that he didn't relate well with his players. He said he's a control freak aswell but he hopes he can learn from his mistakes at Memphis.

I'm really excited about his recruiting and hope he gets a staff that's good with the x and o.
This is pretty accurate