Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I truly hope the expectations are low. Over the years I have noticed a few Tech fans who get so miffed that "the wrong coach" was chosen that they spend their time trying to undermine the new guy, even though in the long run all this does is tear the program down even more. I agree with those who say we need to give this guy a chance. He could not breathe at Memphis the last two years, from what I have read. If the fans can create a space for him to relax the first few years he may recover his old mojo.

he followed calapari . that in of itself was not an easy task. his path here will be a lot easier. at the least i hear he is a nice guy in the same vein as brian gregory. nice guy. smart. good recruiter. needs to learn a few things still. he is 38 so he has room to grow.

i am sure bobby cremins will help him along if need be.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'm really worried about what a UGA blog says. After all, they been unbeatable and have won the national championship every year since they hired Mark Fox
It's funny, we don't care enough to write a scathing article about them keeping Mark Fox for whatever reason. They can make fun of us in football and I will argue back, but basketball???

tumblr_mzpipceK1w1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand this level of disdain at all. It is pretty clear by now that we were turned down by (and/or had almost no shot with) almost all of our top choices. Given that fact, why are you "absolutely embarrassed" by this hire? I agree the contract details and staff will matter, but we don't even know those details yet. I don't see Pastner as discernibly different from Cuonzo or Capel. All guys can recruit but have at least some significant question marks concerning coaching.

Do you really believe the other options we were left with (Kelsey, McCall, Keatts) are unquestionably better hires than Pastner? I certainly don't. I think Pastner has already shown a higher ceiling than what any of those guys have shown. Pastner has some more negatives, but some of that could be due to the fact that the other guys basically still have no real track record. Heck, look at Gregory's first two years as a head coach and compare it to those guys. Looks pretty similar (if not better) to me.

Here is the question for anybody who is "embarrassed" by this hire: who are the guys we should have gone after but didn't who were clearly so much better options (with the stipulation that it must have been reasonably likely they would have accepted an offer)? If you can't answer that, I can't help you.

I would have been more comfortable with McCall. Then presumably we could have still thrown money at Carlton Young, White, Huff, McCray whomever.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
I really don't know what to think about this. I guess I'm in a wait and see mode right now. If JP has learned from the 7 years in Memphis about his coaching, we should be ok. I know he can recruit so that's not a problem. Can he reel in the big fish for 2017 class? I guess we're gonna have to wait and see.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, I would avoid looking at nearly every other school's message board as well as searching Georgia Tech on Twitter right now. It's not going to give anyone here warm fuzzies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hey guys, lifelong Memphis fan here. Gotta say im really sorry. I feel for you guys.

Dont let the gaudy record fool you. In the past 2 seasons, Josh was 1-18 vs RPI top 50. In his career he is 17-54 vs top 50 RPI and holds an overall losing record vs top 100.

His 70% win percentage is due to feasting on a weak CUSA and sub 200 teams OOC.

Recruiting? Hes done it with almost all Memphis kids... and run them off. Weve had a roster full of transfers in the last 2 seasons. The only 4/5 star recruits he ever signed out of local kids was Jalen Kendrick and Will Barton...but that was in year 2 when we brought a loaded Memphis class of Joe Jackson/Tarik Black/Adonis Thomas in and Memphis was still a hot name. Since then, Shaq Goodwin and Charlie Moore is it. He only got Dedric Lawson because he hired his dad and hes a Memphis kid. He has zero chance of success in the ACC

Again, I feel for you guys. Yall have great tradition and dont deserve this. But im in celebration mode that the clown is gone

Certainly some cause for concern here. I hope Cpast proves all his haters wrong. If u can recruit, you have a chance to be good here. We shall see.

Having said that. We would be much better off without Mboob. If a Bball experienced AD, that was his cred coming in, can't do better than this at GT.....the future is bleak for his future moves.