Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I would have been more comfortable with McCall. Then presumably we could have still thrown money at Carlton Young, White, Huff, McCray whomever.

I have no problem with reasonable disagreement (I myself preferred Cuonzo), but I think we can agree the difference between what we are doing and your proposal is certainly not "embarrassing." I assume you acknowledge that McCall is a huge unknown/risk as well, right?

As for money for a staff, lets wait on the Pastner contract/staff details. There has been a lot of speculation by the Memphis papers that the deal may involve Tech paying Pastner significantly less than he is making now and Memphis making up the difference as a sort of buy out compromise. If that happens, we may be able to get the bigger front man and a good staff. To me, that would be a win.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with reasonable disagreement (I myself preferred Cuonzo), but I think we can agree the difference between what we are doing and your proposal is certainly not "embarrassing." I assume you acknowledge that McCall is a huge unknown/risk as well, right?

As for money for a staff, lets wait on the Pastner contract/staff details. There has been a lot of speculation by the Memphis papers that the deal may involve Tech paying Pastner significantly less than he is making now and Memphis making up the difference as a sort of buy out compromise. If that happens, we may be able to get the bigger front man and a good staff. To me, that would be a win.

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed but IMHO we should have done better and if we were not able too do so we should have just kept BG.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Assuming you're being sarcastic, when did MBob show poor financial management?

How about when he raised CBG's buyout (which he then kept secret for a year) 2 years before firing the guy...think maybe that was a bad decision? I could see extending him, but raising his buyout? Brilliant!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed but IMHO we should have done better and if we were not able too do so we should have just kept BG.

I definitely agree with that. For me, the problem isn't so much choosing Pastner at this juncture, the problem was firing Gregory when we did, and without having his replacement secured. I wanted to fire him last year. There were a ton of up and coming young coaching candidates that I was really excited about then. That said, due to the stupid extension, I understand why we didn't. However, if you weren't going to fire him last year, why do it now, when (1) the money issue is still a problem (one more year would have made about a $2M difference in what we owe BG and Hewitt), (2) we are going to be bad next year almost no matter what (though Pastner does give us a prayer to fix that), and (3) the coaching candidate pool is much weaker this year after virtually all the guys I just referred to were hired by P5 programs last year. He should only have done that if he had a sure-fire guy lined up and ready to go.

So, my problem is FAR more with Gregory's firing without a replacement than the selection of Pastner at this juncture. I am cautiously optimistic once we hear the contract/staff details that this could work.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Seriously, it doesn't bother you in the least to hire a guy who:
(1) has a trend line of constantly declining results in W-L rate past 3-4 years;
(2) has serious problems with guys leaving his program;
(3) Just had the freshman star of Memphis decide NOT to leave the program because Pastner bolted after already announcing for the NBA
(4) is a guy who would likely have been fired next year

How can you seriously compare that guy with a young coach with no known issues comparable to ANY of those?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you please some of you guys. The guy is apparently known as an incredible recruiter, which we could really use these days.

Perhaps it should be stressed that the three best seasons we ever had were under great recruiters who weren't that great with Xs and Os...

Tough to get a guy that is amazing at both. We're you hoping we were going to convince Roy Williams to give up the Carolina gig and move down to Atlanta?

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure how you please some of you guys. The guy is apparently known as an incredible recruiter, which we could really use these days.

Perhaps it should be stressed that the three best seasons we ever had were under great recruiters who weren't that great with Xs and Os...

Tough to get a guy that is amazing at both. We're you hoping we were going to convince Roy Williams to give up the Carolina gig and move down to Atlanta?
I don't know if Williams is the best example. On the spectrum of coaches, I'd say he leans toward strong recruiter and weak X's and O's guy.

My biggest worry is Pastner's last few years at Memphis may have soured his ability to hit home runs on the recruiting trail. Time will tell.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They just had a guy that's been covering Memphis for a while on 92.9 and he was saying he's know for his recruiting but not so much his x and o. He also said not all Memphis fans are happy because he's gone but because of what they were paying him. His down fall is that he is stubborn and didn't want to hire any x head coaches to learn from, and that he didn't relate well with his players. He said he's a control freak aswell but he hopes he can learn from his mistakes at Memphis.

I'm really excited about his recruiting and hope he gets a staff that's good with the x and o.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Seriously, it doesn't bother you in the least to hire a guy who:
(1) has a trend line of constantly declining results in W-L rate past 3-4 years;
(2) has serious problems with guys leaving his program;
(3) Just had the freshman star of Memphis decide NOT to leave the program because Pastner bolted after already announcing for the NBA
(4) is a guy who would likely have been fired next year

How can you seriously compare that guy with a young coach with no known issues comparable to ANY of those?

Because none of the guys you are referring to have proven they can consistently win. Because Pastner has also shown he can recruit at elite levels, has made the post season in 5 of 7 years as a head coach, had a 31 win season in '12-'13. Compare Pastner's first four seasons to any of the other coaching candidates you are talking about and it is not even close. Pastner's first four years absolutely crushes any of those guys, hands down. Now, it could turn out that one of the guys you are mentioning will turn out to be an elite coach, but those odds are very long based on the small data sample, and the odds are just as likely that they won't (just look at Gregory's first years compared to the guys you are referencing and they are about the same).

Again, I am not necessarily going to argue with someone who preferred Kelsey, Keatts, Mcall, etc, but there is just absolutely no justification for someone to feel confident that one of those guys was definitely a far better or safer choice. In fact, I would argue to the contrary despite Pastner's troubles over the last two years. My point isn't that you can't disagree with the choice, but I don't think anyone can say the wrong choice was clearly made.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
They just had a guy that's been covering Memphis for a while on 92.9 and he was saying he's know for his recruiting but not so much his x and o. He also said not all Memphis fans are happy because he's gone but because of what they were paying him. His down fall is that he is stubborn and didn't want to hire any x head coaches to learn from, and that he didn't relate well with his players. He said he's a control freak aswell but he hopes he can learn from his mistakes at Memphis.

I'm really excited about his recruiting and hope he gets a staff that's good with the x and o.
Perhaps one of the conditions of his employment was that he will listen to mentors and qualified assistants?

The more I read, the more enthusiastic I am becoming about him. Especially if we got some $ from Memphis that can go to first-rate assistants, this is a fresh start for us, a fresh start for Josh, and a fresh start for Memphis. If CJP comes close to his ceiling here, it will be a lot of fun.