Georgia Tech Bowl Projections

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of these bowl projections (at least once they get past the top dozen or so game) is someone just plugging in the order of conference pick. In reality, the bowls look at various intangibles like proximity, fan base, etc. Every year there is some speculation that "X bowl could be a rematch of Y and Z" and it never comes to fruition.

IMO, the possibility of Annapolis-Paul Johnson storyline is strong. They have the first pick among tier 2 bowls, eliminating the options like Detroit and Shreveport.
Issue with your last comment is, after us beating UVA we all but sealed a tier 1 bowl.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I can understand that who would you want to play.
It's so hard because there is so much still to change!
SEC: Auburn
B1G: Purdue (for the nerd fight factor)
PAC: Stanford (though any is fine)
Big12: Any

When was the last time GT played a team from Big12? Kansas?

Most of our OOC games are regional schools from the SEC. I understand that and don't mind. I would just like our bowls to have teams we aren't as likely to play under normal circumstance.

In general I would love to see us play Penn State some day (most of my family went to PSU) or Washington (as I live in Seattle).

jmahone

Georgia Tech Fan
I personally think the Military is as low as we could go. I think we are past Shreveport and Detroit now. We will see what happens with us and the other 7-4 acc teams next week.
I want Tech to go to the best possible bowl. Having said that, since I live in Annapolis, I would love to see Tech play here. If not here, then as good a matchup/bowl as possible, of course.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I want Tech to go to the best possible bowl. Having said that, since I live in Annapolis, I would love to see Tech play here. If not here, then as good a matchup/bowl as possible, of course.

If we don't make a tier 1, the Military would be my preference. Decent little bowl.

Animal02

Banned
I personally think the Military is as low as we could go. I think we are past Shreveport and Detroit now. We will see what happens with us and the other 7-4 acc teams next week.
I think where Tech ends up will depend on the outcome of the Cuse / Bc game, UVA/VT and the WF / Duke game......but mostly the WF/Duke game.
If Cuse wins and ends up 9-3, they end up in the Camper, NCST in the Belk. Pitt has to go to one of the three remaining Tier one Bowls.
That leave two Tier One spots for B.C (7-5) GT (7-5 likely) UVA 7-5 (beating VT)...and Duke.....which brings us to the WF / Duke game. If Duke wins, they are 8-4 which likely means they get one of the Tier One spots which leaves one between BC, GT and UVA. I would guess BC gets the Tier One,
The Military gets the next pick.....they may take UVA if they beat VT because of location, which drops GT to Shreveport.
Da U (or WF if they beat Duke) gets Detroit and Gasparilla

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think where Tech ends up will depend on the outcome of the Cuse / Bc game, UVA/VT and the WF / Duke game......but mostly the WF/Duke game.
If Cuse wins and ends up 9-3, they end up in the Camper, NCST in the Belk. Pitt has to go to one of the three remaining Tier one Bowls.
That leave two Tier One spots for B.C (7-5) GT (7-5 likely) UVA 7-5 (beating VT)...and Duke.....which brings us to the WF / Duke game. If Duke wins, they are 8-4 which likely means they get one of the Tier One spots which leaves one between BC, GT and UVA. I would guess BC gets the Tier One,
The Military gets the next pick.....they may take UVA if they beat VT because of location, which drops GT to Shreveport.
UVA would be 8-4 if they defeat VPI&SU

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Duke shouldn't get a tier 1 spot at 4-4 in conference. That would just be a reward for a lousy out of conference schedule. But you never know with the acc.

Deleted member 2897

If Boston College wins next weekend, we finish 3rd in the entire ACC. If not, we finish 4th.

There’s no way we deserve some crap bowl out of all the ACC tie-ins. I’m pretty sure there are rules against everybody skipping teams.

On a side note, the ACC currently has 9 bowl teams. If Virginia Tech beats UVA and Marshall at home, they’re bowl eligible. FSU has to beat Florida at home and Wake has to win @Duke and then the ACC gets 12 bowl teams.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
If Boston College wins next weekend, we finish 3rd in the entire ACC. If not, we finish 4th.

There’s no way we deserve some crap bowl out of all the ACC tie-ins. I’m pretty sure there are rules against everybody skipping teams.

On a side note, the ACC currently has 9 bowl teams. If Virginia Tech beats UVA and Marshall at home, they’re bowl eligible. FSU has to beat Florida at home and Wake has to win @Duke and then the ACC gets 12 bowl teams.
The rules about passing over better teams, if they even still apply, only prevented bowls from picking a team with two or more additional conference loses than the other available team. Standings are so compact I could see just about anything happening.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So, what should our rooting interests be this weekend? I would imagine that we would want Duke and UVA to lose. Would be nice if NC State did, too, but fat chance. I would think we would want BC to lose, as well, since Syracuse is getting a better bowl than us regardless, but that would knock BC down to 4-4.

Deleted member 2897

The rules about passing over better teams, if they even still apply, only prevented bowls from picking a team with two or more additional conference loses than the other available team. Standings are so compact I could see just about anything happening.

Oh, I didn't know it was 2 additional conference losses. You're right - that could encompass every other bowl team in the ACC - as many as 8. So I'm guessing based on how everybody always discount Georgia Tech that we'll get skipped over. It would be nice though for a local-ish bowl to pick us since we'd travel well locally.

Personally, I'd love something like the Belk Bowl in Charlotte. They always pick teams in the ACC and SEC around 0.500 and we'd travel well that locally. If Auburn loses to Alabama next weekend, they'd finish 3-5 in the SEC and 7-5. We'd finish 5-3 in the ACC and 7-5. Seems like their typical type of matchup there, and that would sell a lot of tickets I would think.