Georgia Tech Bowl Projections

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I was really going to go almost anywhere for the bowl game this year. But being the day after christmas I can not make it work with the kids and traveling. I hate that I am going to miss CPJ last game. We really got screwed again.

+1
The Gasparilla bowl is before school let's out, so that was off the table too, but any other acc tie in bowl we could have attended.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't sure where to put this sorry. Here is Belk response:

Full Belk "ask me anything" here:

Quick edit: One of the later quotes: "We know GT fans wanted to be in Charlotte and believe you have the right as fans to be frustrated."

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, here is an excellent article from the AJC yesterday describing how GT fell to the Quick Lane Bowl.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-georgia-tech-fell-the-quick-lane-bowl/j8F3RzX2rl8zj1K7Eu2F4I/

Ultimately it comes down to ticket sales. GT is hurt in the Bowl Execs eyes by having at least 3 straight bowl games where it did not sell out its allotment, by the idea that college football teams in big cities don't travel.
Getting a tier 1 bowl was always going to be something of a pipe dream. ACC has 4 tier one bowls. By ACC rule the ACC Championship game loser cannot fall out of the Tier 1 bowls (so Pitt ends up in Sun). NCST and Syracuse having 9 wins have to be taken next ahead of all the 7-5 teams. That left only 1 slot left in a tier 1 bowl, that being Belk. Belk has never taken a non Top 25 ACC team that is not from the Carolinas or Virginia. Even losing 3 of their last 4 games Belk felt UVA was likely to sell more tickets than GT.

So GT was going to a tier 2 bowl. The Military Bowl chairman says in the article that while it would have been great to have Johnson for his final game, that ultimately it comes down to who they think will sell the most tickets and based on how quickly VT fans have been purchasing tickets they made the correct decision.

if you want GT to go to better bowls you have to go to bowl games and you have to buy the tickets through GT.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, here is an excellent article from the AJC yesterday describing how GT fell to the Quick Lane Bowl.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-georgia-tech-fell-the-quick-lane-bowl/j8F3RzX2rl8zj1K7Eu2F4I/

Ultimately it comes down to ticket sales. GT is hurt in the Bowl Execs eyes by having at least 3 straight bowl games where it did not sell out its allotment, by the idea that college football teams in big cities don't travel.
Getting a tier 1 bowl was always going to be something of a pipe dream. ACC has 4 tier one bowls. By ACC rule the ACC Championship game loser cannot fall out of the Tier 1 bowls (so Pitt ends up in Sun). NCST and Syracuse having 9 wins have to be taken next ahead of all the 7-5 teams. That left only 1 slot left in a tier 1 bowl, that being Belk. Belk has never taken a non Top 25 ACC team that is not from the Carolinas or Virginia. Even losing 3 of their last 4 games Belk felt UVA was likely to sell more tickets than GT.

So GT was going to a tier 2 bowl. The Military Bowl chairman says in the article that while it would have been great to have Johnson for his final game, that ultimately it comes down to who they think will sell the most tickets and based on how quickly VT fans have been purchasing tickets they made the correct decision.

if you want GT to go to better bowls you have to go to bowl games and you have to buy the tickets through GT.
I hope attendance crashes at bowl games and they're forced to end the lesser bowl games

GTFLETCH

Banned

Agree.... Getting a new Coach is the start, we can start with selling out Bobby Dodd during the season, and then worry about bowl tickets at the end of the season.