Georgia State Post Game thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Alexander clearly hurt his shoulder or collarbone. His injury looked serious

He posture was exactly as mine was when I broke my collarbone playing football. Alexander is likely our foe a number of weeks.
I fear this too. My brother fell on his shoulder hard and his collarbone broke out the socket. Had to have a pin.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good Lord GT Fans whine about refs. We held on a lot of plays. They were properly called. That's on GT not the refs! There were plenty of other times our WRs could have been called for holding. The WRs block well down field and they hold nearly every time.

'Holding' is part of good blocking. If you look closely enough, there's a borderline hold on just about every play in football. The issue last night was that refs who were 30 yards away were flagging very borderline holding and throwing the flags late. The last holding call on Jordan Brown the ref that flagged it couldn't possibly have seen what actually happened, the players were on the other side of a scrum at the LOS. Brown's hands never went outside and he released cleanly once the guy turned. That never gets called for holding.

OTOH, GSU was holding as much or more and not getting flagged. If the refs had been over-calling holding on both sides, fine. Or not calling it on anyone (like the FSU game), also fine. Holding calls are very subjective, but you have to have a consistent 'strike zone'.

In contrast watch the GSU right guard on GSU's big 4th down pass (not flagged):

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't hate me for hoping you're full of sh*t and dead wrong tho.
Nominating you for mayor of this thread.

Bobby Firefighter GIF by 9-1-1 on FOX

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Somebody explain how that Blackburn block was a hold. I dare you.
Blackburn's right hand got inside the defender's chest pads/Jersey and he pulled him down with with his hand there so it clearly looked like he was using that to assist in blocking, That is not legal!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Right on! We didn’t play anywhere near our best and still throttled GSU and beat a pretty healthy spread. Last year we lost to BGSU and yet in a classic trap game if there ever was one our guys found ways to put up a ton of yards and a bunch of points while keeping the other team from scoring for a significant chunk of the game. And that’s in spite of GSU having game film. In spite of GSU having a QB on their roster who was in our QB room all last year. In spite of having a DC who was in our coaches meetings all last year.

I am not claiming this was a great game by the Jackets. I think there’s a ton of stuff to clean up on both sides of the ball. I think our defensive coaches will only get better at working together as the season progresses just like our offensive staff did last season. We didn’t get pressure on their QB. We had some issues with consistency from down to down and possession to possession. We committed too many penalties (though I think several were complete BS but others were legit). But we WON THE GAME and we didn’t even have to expose Haynes King to a lot of physical punishment running the ball a lot. Anyone think having a healthy and not so banged up Haynes King is a big deal for the Syracuse game? I sure think it’s great. So even though it wasn’t our best game I am thrilled with the win. The goal is to be 2-0 at this point. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED JACKETS WAY TO GO!!!!
Good post. The one call I thought was missed was when King kept on a read option and was stopped, turned around and a GSU defender clearly hit King's helmet in the back of his head with the top of the defender's helmet. That absolutely was the definition of helmet to helmet contact on a defenseless player. Not called was bad. However we scored on the pass to Boyd the next play so can't be too mad at the result,

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
'Holding' is part of good blocking. If you look closely enough, there's a borderline hold on just about every play in football. The issue last night was that refs who were 30 yards away were flagging very borderline holding and throwing the flags late. The last holding call on Jordan Brown the ref that flagged it couldn't possibly have seen what actually happened, the players were on the other side of a scrum at the LOS. Brown's hands never went outside and he released cleanly once the guy turned. That never gets called for holding.

OTOH, GSU was holding as much or more and not getting flagged. If the refs had been over-calling holding on both sides, fine. Or not calling it on anyone (like the FSU game), also fine. Holding calls are very subjective, but you have to have a consistent 'strike zone'.

In contrast watch the GSU right guard on GSU's big 4th down pass (not flagged):

You are whining! Holding is subjective. When refs see arms extended, outside the defenders shoulder or inside the jersey/pads they call holding. We got caught a lot of times. GaST did not. The refs were not an issue less the missed helmet to helmet on the back of King's helmet that was clear and obvious. Of course we rand a play quickly and scored the next play before the booth could review the hit. That worked in our favor.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Blackburn's right hand got inside the defender's chest pads/Jersey and he pulled him down with with his hand there so it clearly looked like he was using that to assist in blocking, That is not legal!
How did he pull him down ... while pushing him ... then fall on his back. Your explanation defies the logic of how the play bore out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The guys are probably tired from the flight and the jet lag. You need to take those things into consideration. Seminoles will have 2 extra days to recover.
Jet lag excuses. Getting old, especially for a bunch of sub 25-year-olds. 5-hour time difference an hour a day tops to get adjusted by now should be a 100% non-factor. I question if even if it would have been a factor on Wednesday or Thursday of last week. (Yes, I have done multiple over the pond trips.)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the broadcast made this exact point last night. Basically said, as you're alluding to, that our offense is a variation of the option.

I loved CPJ and I love what we're doing now. But I dont understand why folks don't see what we're currently doing as gimmicky like they did with CPJ's stuff.
It is as simple as not being under center, most people are binary thinkers. Even on this board with a bunch of them.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sure the broadcast made this exact point last night. Basically said, as you're alluding to, that our offense is a variation of the option.

I loved CPJ and I love what we're doing now. But I dont understand why folks don't see what we're currently doing as gimmicky like they did with CPJ's stuff.
It’s because in the past ten NFL seasons the option went from (at best) a special wildcat package to a major part of many offenses. Anything the NFL doesn’t run, from run-oriented triple option to pass-oriented run-and-shoot, is looked at by the general public as a gimmick. And the spread option is no longer a “gimmick”.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
It is as simple as not being under center, most people are binary thinkers. Even on this board with a bunch of them.

It’s always been this. People thought Meyer’s Florida offense was the sexiest thing on the planet and he was just running same concepts out of shotgun. If CPJ had started running the same offense out of shotgun, we’d have been worse, but he’d still be coaching here.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
How did he pull him down ... while pushing him ... then fall on his back. Your explanation defies the logic of how the play bore out.
Watch the replay in slow motion. It's easy to see. Like all holding it's a subjective call. Watch our WRs on downfield blocking plays. They are good blockers and they hold a lot that are not called. It's part of the game that is difficult to officiate. I just get tired of hearing the refs were based or called a one sided game. They call what they see. They don't see everything as that in not possible.

Were some calls missed. Of course. Were the refs bad, they looked normal to me. My one concern was the helmet to helmet on King's helmet backside while he was turned backwards to the LOS. That easily could have knocked him out of the game. The next play was run too quickly to know if a booth review was coming and we scored on the play so no harm on that non call as it turned out.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
What if we were to conduct some statistical analyses of the impact of crowd noise relative to the performance of the athletes on the field and then provide the data to all the "nerd/engineering" students? We could even encourage them to take part in a longitudinal study by conducting actual game-day field trials at BDS on specific Saturdays on an annual basis.

Would that make a difference?
The rest of the fans need this way more than the students.