Georgia State Post Game thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are you aware the rivalry started almost 90 years before that?

On the contrary, through the first 70 years of GT's history with ugag we won more than them.

I know people are prisoners of the moment and they assume the matchup has always been one-sided,but that's just not the case.

The idea that we need to stop playing them, because it's a losing proposition(sic), is an ill-informed opinion.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
As a sidewalk fan, but one who saw his first Tech / Georgia game in 1969- I can't fathom a season without playing the Dawgs the last game of the season. I enjoy going to Athens too- nothing is sweeter than winning there. As long as Brent Key and Kirby Smart are the coaches- this ballgame's going down. We have a saying in my house. "We never cry when the Bulldogs lose."

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
As a sidewalk fan, but one who saw his first Tech / Georgia game in 1969- I can't fathom a season without playing the Dawgs the last game of the season. I enjoy going to Athens too- nothing is sweeter than winning there. As long as Brent Key and Kirby Smart are the coaches- this ballgame's going down. We have a saying in my house. "We never cry when the Bulldogs lose."
You are 100% right, of course.

I said "IF I was AD" I would suspend the series.

But ya'll l have nothin' to worry about 'cause I'm really busy (and don't have a death wish).... :cautious:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Seems to me like you have a healthy attitude so, my posts really aren't directed towards you.

A self destructive attitude is to prefer beating UGA than win a conference championship, or lose every game if it means we beat UGA.

My premise is that this sort attitude filters down to the field of play. A good example is how fans respond to coaches who are trying to maintain the focus of their student athletes.

At pressers, I watch our coaches, who are striving for consistency in effort and focus from their players, dance around the expectation that there is another gear for the UGA contests. It is as if it is okay to acknowledge that they prepared less for Carolina than UGA!

Pastner, early in his tenure, made the mistake to say in response to an upcoming UGA contest that he wanted to win every game and prepared maximally for them all. That wasn't popular.

But I don't think that coaches can insulate the players from counter-productive pressures exerted by an unbalanced Tech community over these contests.

GT athletics is not irrevocably tied to UGA. There is a weird co-dependency thing, specifically from Tech fans, about the rivalry. It is as if Gt fans seem to think of UGA as inevitable as the other side of a coin.

The day the Tech community believes that they have a healthy identity independent of UGA is the day we start to beat them.
This is not the definition of a fanatic, from whence the word fan is derived. Sorry, I want GT to win and uga to lose. That makes me happy as a fan. This is important to most GT fans, specifically alumni.

Athletes knowing that beating your arch-rival, they you live side-by-side all year long, and recruit in the same schools, is not only important, but expected. I don’t know too many that aren’t over-the-top maniacal fans that let uga live in their head.

I despise everything about that cow college, but when my dog had cancer, that’s where we took him for treatment. No red allowed in my house except during Christmas and only when coupled with green.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea that we need to stop playing them, because it's a losing proposition(sic), is an ill-informed opinion.

If you attribute that reasoning to me (or anyone else in this thread), then you didn't read my posts.

My point is simply that the rivalry is in the heads of the Gt community in a negative way which actually contributes to our poor performances against them (not in football since Kirby has been there. They are simply on top with that guy running the show).

Taking a break is proposed as an opportunity for the GT community to re-define their existence independent from UGA and, frankly, to get their heads screwed on straight.

I am fully aware that this would NEVER happen. Let the rabid hatred continue, regardless of whether or not it hurts the Institute.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
This is not the definition of a fanatic, from whence the word fan is derived. Sorry, I want GT to win and uga to lose. That makes me happy as a fan. This is important to most GT fans, specifically alumni.

Athletes knowing that beating your arch-rival, they you live side-by-side all year long, and recruit in the same schools, is not only important, but expected. I don’t know too many that aren’t over-the-top maniacal fans that let uga live in their head.

I despise everything about that cow college, but when my dog had cancer, that’s where we took him for treatment. No red allowed in my house except during Christmas and only when coupled with green.
It is an issue of degree. Lots of things in life are beneficial in moderation and destructive in excess.

I've been around. Seen many rivalries. There are some nutty fans scattered among them all. But as a general rule, I haven't seen a rivalry get under the skin of a fan base the way UGA is under the skin of the Gt community. I think it has jumped the shark from being good, clean fun to being self-destructive.

It is not a binary, yes-or-no, issue. It is an issue of degree.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This is nutty to me. This is why I raised the "UGA win or conference title?" hypothetical. I'd love to do both in the same season as well, but I think I just don't get this line of thinking for reasons I've already stated.

I have also never celebrated a Georgia Tech football ACC title, so that could come into play here. A lot of the folks on this board are probably going to have a difficult time ever again eclipsing or even matching the sports-euphoria the Citrus Bowl win in 1990 delivered.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back to the regularly scheduled program...

Finally watched the game at home. Overall all I feel better about the game than I did while in attendance. Of course that may be because I knew the outcome. Plenty to work on this week to clean up some mistakes.

Have to really like King's comments during his interviews. Deflects glory to the entire team and makes comments that don't end up on the opposition bulletin boards.

I have already complained about the music volume. It ran between 84-92 db in the North stands. It is ridiculous that I have to yell when talking to the people to my immediate left and right. I hope more season ticket holders make a similar complaint.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
MtnWasp, I think your presumption that COFH, and especially the GT fanbase’s participation in it, affects player performance and outcomes in a negative way is off base. There is no evidence or reason to believe that is the case.

And GT athletes are GT students too. I would hope they all feel the same way the rest of us do about ugag, and I would assume extra personal motivation would help player performance, not hurt it. Why don’t you?

There are plenty of other real factors that explain the disparity in the current status of the rivalry.

forensicbuzz

This is nutty to me. This is why I raised the "UGA win or conference title?" hypothetical. I'd love to do both in the same season as well, but I think I just don't get this line of thinking for reasons I've already stated.

I have also never celebrated a Georgia Tech football ACC title, so that could come into play here. A lot of the folks on this board are probably going to have a difficult time ever again eclipsing or even matching the sports-euphoria the Citrus Bowl win in 1990 delivered.
Here’s the question to ask: which season do people identify as a more successful season…2008 or 2009? I think most will say 2008 because we beat uga. Now, had we beaten Iowa in the Orange Bowl, I’m not sure what people would have said.

I was there for the Citrus Bowl, as a student.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the question to ask: which season do people identify as a more successful season…2008 or 2009? I think most will say 2008 because we beat uga. Now, had we beaten Iowa in the Orange Bowl, I’m not sure what people would have said.

I was there for the Citrus Bowl, as a student.
Didn’t we win the ACC Championship in 2009? The 2008 victory at the time broke the what 7 game losing streak to UGA so at the time that felt great as the program turning point. 15-16 years later the ACC title seems more significant to me. Of course had the UGA streak run several more years who knows how it would feel.

slugboy

Staff member
If you attribute that reasoning to me (or anyone else in this thread), then you didn't read my posts.

My point is simply that the rivalry is in the heads of the Gt community in a negative way which actually contributes to our poor performances against them (not in football since Kirby has been there. They are simply on top with that guy running the show).

Taking a break is proposed as an opportunity for the GT community to re-define their existence independent from UGA and, frankly, to get their heads screwed on straight.

I am fully aware that this would NEVER happen. Let the rabid hatred continue, regardless of whether or not it hurts the Institute.
I don’t see how not playing UGA helps Georgia State, Georgia Southern, or other schools in the state.

forensicbuzz

It is an issue of degree. Lots of things in life are beneficial in moderation and destructive in excess.

I've been around. Seen many rivalries. There are some nutty fans scattered among them all. But as a general rule, I haven't seen a rivalry get under the skin of a fan base the way UGA is under the skin of the Gt community. I think it has jumped the shark from being good, clean fun to being self-destructive.

It is not a binary, yes-or-no, issue. It is an issue of degree.
What you’re missing as a sidewalk fan is that it goes much deeper that just athletics. The hate for all things uga is universal, and there are reasons for it. GT has always been crapped in by the Board of Regents and the Legislature, which is replete with mouth-breathing mutts. They have always put us at a disadvantage. Therefore, the hate goes to our core. It’s. It destructive, it’s part of who we are.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
What you’re missing as a sidewalk fan is that it goes much deeper that just athletics. The hate for all things uga is universal, and there are reasons for it. GT has always been crapped in by the Board of Regents and the Legislature, which is replete with mouth-breathing mutts. They have always put us at a disadvantage. Therefore, the hate goes to our core. It’s. It destructive, it’s part of who we are.
Don’t forget GT alumni feel intellectually superior to Georgia Alumni and fans.

forensicbuzz

Didn’t we win the ACC Championship in 2009? The 2008 victory at the time broke the what 7 game losing streak to UGA so at the time that felt great as the program turning point. 15-16 years later the ACC title seems more significant to me. Of course had the UGA streak run several more years who knows how it would feel.
That’s my point. 2008 we beat uga and didn’t win the ACC. 2009 we won the ACC Championship but lost to uga.

Now that the ACC Champion is most likely guaranteed a spot in the playoff, if not a bye, there may be a different perspective. With kids moving around so much and the NIL, there may be a different perspective.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Most of us are intellectually superior. I'm sure there's a handful of dumb GT alums out there just like you run into an occasional decent mutt fan every once in a while, nothing's absolute.
This is a reason we lack sidewalk fans. Lots of GT alumni look down their noses at non GT grads.