Georgia State Post Game thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As a sidewalk fan living in Athens, GOFH is absolutely the most important game of the year. It isn't the only important game, but it tops the list. Beat them 3IAR like the Jackets did in '98 - '00 and you'll see how important it is for them, too. Last time that happened they fired the coach for it. Dropping the series would be an absolute disaster for Tech. Instead of that, we need to start beating them more often. Give Brent Key and the current administration a little more time and I have faith we'll do exactly that.

Yeah, it seems lopsided because we haven't been winning. When that changes, just wait and see how that fanbase gets.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Ehhh less comment about that. Just moreso about the obsession with UGA - I root for them to lose every game but we are more than likely one of the only fanbases in college football that would rather beat our rival than raise hardware. I know the math doesn't work out in this hypothetical but UGA fans would lose to Florida every year if it magically guaranteed them an SEC championship.

But I also come from a unique perspective in that I have zero family affiliated with UGA and minimal friends/coworkers. Smack talk/banter is a fun part of sports and I don't get to engage in it as much as everyone else on this board probably gets to. If I just look at my recent text messages, it's a lot of GT and then UConn, ND, (a single) UGA, Duke, Syracuse, UVA, Georgia State and most of these people don't even care or pay attention to college football anyway.

I definitely don't support dropping the series though. If it affected our conference record, I would consider it. I was an advocate for Batt dropping Clemson.
I am ambivalent about dropping the UGA series. Yes a big part of that is losing so consistently. But the other aspect is I think it would help us in recruiting the State of Georgia if we didn't lose to the mutts 80-90% of the time. I know Key is hellbent on fixing this and obviously that would make a difference. But UGA has such a big head start in mind share of the kids coming up (which will take years to change) and a major revenue advantage. I just don't how realistic it is to compete on a reasonably even basis with UGA at this point.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
The little brother syndrome definitely ain't a great look. UGA fans are gonna poke fun at something regardless, but if you're unaffiliated?

There was a reason I never could get much into A&M growing up in Texas. Same thing.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, but pretending to not care about UGA isn’t the sophisticated thinking man’s trump card some of you think it is. It’s actually the most “little brother syndrome” thing a Tech fan can do. “I didn’t actually care I lost. You are not important”, I say through tears as I pick up my ball and go inside.

We had more preseason hype from, not just fans, but the media going into 2009 and 2015 than we did going into 2010. Beating UGA was greater for the perception of the program which (in theory) helps raise funds, recruiting etc than winning the ACC. Now that winning the ACC gets you a playoff bid, maybe that changes. However, I’d argue it would really depend on what we did in the playoff. If we just go one and done in the playoff, that may not be any more impressive to many outside the program than beating UGA(who has become the standard of college football) at the end of the year.
Beating Georgia is great and leaves one with a euphoric feeling. As it happens so infrequently making that "The Game/Goal" seems a waste of energy to me. Sadly we have not been their equal for many decades in football. Everyone has heir own feelings about Georgia.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
As a sidewalk fan, i have always been a little creeped out by how badly UGA is "in the heads" of the GT community. It is THE least attractive part about being a GT fan and participating in discussion with GT fans.

"Good Old Fashioned Hate" was always meant to be tongue in cheek to me. But GT fans will go to the mattresses that it is supposed to interpreted literally.

Take it from an outsider who doesn't have a horse in the race: the GT-UGA "rivalry" is one sided in an unhealthy way for GT. Not only in terms of competitive outcome, but more so in terms of the rivalry being a merely fun lark of tormenting GT fans for UGA fans, while GT fans let this stuff sink way, way, WAY too deeply.

If I was AD, I would suspend all competition between the schools until such time (maybe 20 years) that the GT community demonstrates that they remedy their out of balance perspective on the rivalry, take it down a good 5 notches.

The guys who don't care too much get the hottie.
MtnWasp, you are a great asset to the GT fan base and this message board, so please don’t take this the wrong way, but the 1st bolded statement (outsider) says it all. In general, I think alumni probably embody the rivalry with ugag and COFH a lot more than sidewalk fans. That’s fine. Y’all don’t have to embody it the way that most of us alumni do, but we love it, and there is nothing wrong with it. It’s just a “clean”, fun, albeit deeply ingrained, college rivalry. To me, this stuff is really what makes college sports great.

Now, as someone who holds these beliefs about COFH, the second bolded statement about getting rid of the series against ugag seems like a completely outlandish non-starter that I would hope no one associated with the Institute would ever entertain.

As an alumnus, I don’t expect sidewalk fans to “hate” ugag the way that I do, but don’t try to change me, I’m a lost cause on this one.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am ambivalent about dropping the UGA series. Yes a big part of that is losing so consistently. But the other aspect is I think it would help us in recruiting the State of Georgia if we didn't lose to the mutts 80-90% of the time. I know Key is hellbent on fixing this and obviously that would make a difference. But UGA has such a big head start in mind share of the kids coming up (which will take years to change) and a major revenue advantage. I just don't how realistic it is to compete on a reasonably even basis with UGA at this point.

they have all those advantages if we play them or not. One of us in the State School, the other is the State Tech School. Which do you think is going to have the most s/w fans and support, regardless of records?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
MtnWasp, you are a great asset to the GT fan base and this message board, so please don’t take this the wrong way, but the 1st bolded statement (outsider) says it all. In general, I think alumni probably embody the rivalry with ugag and COFH a lot more than sidewalk fans. That’s fine. Y’all don’t have to embody it the way that most of us alumni do, but we love it, and there is nothing wrong with it. It’s just a “clean”, fun, albeit deeply ingrained, college rivalry. To me, this stuff is really what makes college sports great.

Now, as someone who holds these beliefs about COFH, the second bolded statement about getting rid of the series against ugag seems like a completely outlandish non-starter that I would hope no one associated with the Institute would ever entertain.

As an alumnus, I don’t expect sidewalk fans to “hate” ugag the way that I do, but don’t try to change me, I’m a lost cause on this one.

I don't take it too seriously, other than I own nothing red, won't rent a red car, have no red clothing, there is nothing in my house that is red, and I would turn down a dream job if the guys that owned the company wore red.

Outside of that, no biggie.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you want to beat them or hate them? Which is more important? Choose one because you can't have them both.

For the decades that I have been following GT, I see that Gt is predisposed to losing to them. By that I mean that even before our athletes take the field, they have been handicapped by the "GOFH" culture.

Even the programs that are superior to UGA still manage to lose at an unexpected rate. Last example was Volleyball last year. We have lost way too many games to them in Men's basketball.

You don't want to suspend the series? Then find another cure for your UGA rabies. Don't go all white-hot, frothing at the mouth-suicidal over the contests. Winning STARTS here: Don't beat yourself.

Last edited:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you want to beat them or hate them? What is more important? Choose one because you can't have them both.

For the decades that I have been following GT, I see that Gt is predisposed to losing to them. By that I mean that even before our athletes take the field, they have been handicapped by the "GOFH" culture.

Even the programs that are superior to UGA still manage to lose at an unexpected rate. Last example was Volleyball last year. We have lost way too many games to them in Men's basketball.

You don't want to suspend the series? Then find another cure for your UGA rabies. Don't go all white-hot, frothing at the mouth-suicidal over the contests. Winning STARTS here: Don't beat yourself.
we gonna change the fight song too?

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Alabama didn’t and we haven’t played them since before I went to Tech.

That being said, it’s about more than sports. The mouth breathers supporting uga has constantly and consistently done everything they could to handicap Tech. It started with them greasing the rails to gain an on-field advantage to taking away our business school (which later became Georgia State), to limiting our curriculum, to disallowing professional schools, to allowing uga to starting an engineering [sic] school in cowtown.

(Maybe the rail greasing was Auburn, but you get the point)

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
C'mon man!

Sport rivalries are healthy and fun. GT fans have taken theirs way too far, to a self-destructive place. They've been creepin'. For their own good and, especially for the good of their teams, they need to take it down several notches.

Where Gt is now with their rivalry is not charming tradition, it is an unseemly mutation of tradition.

I know what I am posting is unpopular. But I think it needs to be thrown out there.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If you are an alum, you are a Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech. THWG like his daddy used to do, etc.
If you are a sidewalk fan, I understand that the hatred may not run as deep.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
C'mon man!

Sport rivalries are healthy and fun. GT fans have taken theirs way too far, to a self-destructive place. They've been creepin'. For their own good and, especially for the good of their teams, they need to take it down several notches.

Where Gt is now with their rivalry is not charming tradition, it is an unseemly mutation of tradition.

I know what I am posting is unpopular. But I think it needs to be thrown out there.

honestly, this is sort of an interesting take. I am not sure that most alums view the rivalry as self-destructive.

On Saturday, I went to Publix. There were some folks, about 30ish, with big uga ballons, and a whole lot of stuff for a game party they were trying to cram in their car. I parked right next to them, got out and saw them struggling, and asked if I could help. As they were turning, they said sure. When they saw me in Tech duds, they said no thanks.

I found that sorta funny. I also figured they musta been alums of uga.

It's just how it is.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you are an alum, you are a Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech. THWG like his daddy used to do, etc.
If you are a sidewalk fan, I understand that the hatred may not run as deep.
I am with Wasp on this and my brother and I are both GT Grads. To each his own.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ok time to be nice to GT fans. The refs at the GaSt game were from the SEC so they were biased against GT. The media thinks the ACC and GT sucks so we don't get the credit we deserve. Cuse fans think GT will be a pushover, they are ignorant. GT has the best coaching staff in college football! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
well, at least you’re right about that last point. I think they are the best fit for GT…..

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
honestly, this is sort of an interesting take. I am not sure that most alums view the rivalry as self-destructive.

On Saturday, I went to Publix. There were some folks, about 30ish, with big uga ballons, and a whole lot of stuff for a game party they were trying to cram in their car. I parked right next to them, got out and saw them struggling, and asked if I could help. As they were turning, they said sure. When they saw me in Tech duds, they said no thanks.

I found that sorta funny. I also figured they musta been alums of uga.

It's just how it is.
Seems to me like you have a healthy attitude so, my posts really aren't directed towards you.

A self destructive attitude is to prefer beating UGA than win a conference championship, or lose every game if it means we beat UGA.

My premise is that this sort attitude filters down to the field of play. A good example is how fans respond to coaches who are trying to maintain the focus of their student athletes.

At pressers, I watch our coaches, who are striving for consistency in effort and focus from their players, dance around the expectation that there is another gear for the UGA contests. It is as if it is okay to acknowledge that they prepared less for Carolina than UGA!

Pastner, early in his tenure, made the mistake to say in response to an upcoming UGA contest that he wanted to win every game and prepared maximally for them all. That wasn't popular.

But I don't think that coaches can insulate the players from counter-productive pressures exerted by an unbalanced Tech community over these contests.

GT athletics is not irrevocably tied to UGA. There is a weird co-dependency thing, specifically from Tech fans, about the rivalry. It is as if Gt fans seem to think of UGA as inevitable as the other side of a coin.

The day the Tech community believes that they have a healthy identity independent of UGA is the day we start to beat them.