Georgia Postgame

Deleted member 2897

You can call it trolls if you want. Personally I’m a little disheartened at the fan reaction. This was one of the most embarrassing losses in the history of this series. How you guys don’t have a little more anger is beyond me. Hopefully the coaches and players have a different attitude.

Based on the fact a third of our OL/DL starters are walk-ons, based on how we’ve played this year and our offense can’t move the ball against anyone, I’m not sure what anybody expected. The line was almost 30 points, which is essentially Vegas for infinity. We’ve missed the spread like 9 times this year, so given the spread and over/under, the final score was very close to what everyone was expecting.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
After 10 seconds thought, here is one... Ga Southern - 2014... They lose Jeff Monken and move away from the triple option - which we all know is the greatest transition in the history of football. That same year, they moved from 1-AA up to 1-A... After this monumental transition, they had a terrible year and only managed a 9-3 record...

Seem to remember Ga Southern still running a lot of option as part of their base offense. Not surprising either y’all PJ lovers would bring up GSU. Again, some of you are fans of PJ not GT. That’s fine.

There’s a lot more to a transition than scheme as well. Personnel has a lot to do with the issues we had this year. Lastly, if Collins had that schedule, I bet he would have been 9-3 or better with their schedule. They played GT, NC State and Navy (all losses). Only other decent team was App St.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
We're completely changing offenses from a rather niche one that does a lot of things that don't translate to most offenses and completely ignores aspects that almost every other offense needs, to one that shares almost nothing with it.

We're trying to rebuild the defense from a decade of bad play.

We returned one of the least amounts of production in the country.

We had an inordinate amount of injuries.

We're extremely young, including a freshman QB, our best WR being a freshman.

Our STs have terrible kickers and weak depth hurts coverage and returns.

That's exactly why people have a problem with it.

I supported the last coaching staff. I support this staff. However, I do not blindly support this staff. The Georgia Southern example is proof.

I cannot give a pass to the offense being ranked last in the ACC. Perhaps you can. I cannot. We can agree to disagree.

I do not see any improvement in any stat from last year.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Seem to remember Ga Southern still running a lot of option as part of their base offense. Not surprising either y’all PJ lovers would bring up GSU. Again, some of you are fans of PJ not GT. That’s fine.

There’s a lot more to a transition than scheme as well. Personnel has a lot to do with the issues we had this year. Lastly, if Collins had that schedule, I bet he would have been 9-3 or better with their schedule. They played GT, NC State and Navy (all losses). Only other decent team was App St.
Someone asked for an example of another transition that was similar. We provided an example, and the first response is calling people "PJ lovers," when no one brought up CPJ. That rhetorical device is old, tired, and serves as evidence that you're uncomfortable that Southern was able to transition better than Collins.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

You know, I think you have hit the nail on the head -- if you manage the transition away from the triple option correctly, you don't have to have a historically bad season. :)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
After 10 seconds thought, here is one... Ga Southern - 2014... They lose Jeff Monken and move away from the triple option - which we all know is the greatest transition in the history of football. That same year, they moved from 1-AA up to 1-A... After this monumental transition, they had a terrible year and only managed a 9-3 record...

People keep bringing this up and obviously have no idea about what GSU was under Fritz or why he was chosen. He was chosen because he was the coach with the most legitimacy that ran an offense that as was close to GSU's as possible for the sole reason of making an easy transition going from FCS to FBS. If they were going to stay exactly with what they had they would have had to go with an assistant with no head coaching experience. His teams at Sam Houston already ran 2/3rds of the time, and he has continued that at Tulane, running the ball 65% of the time this year in year 4. He also already incorporated similar concepts into his offense especially since GSU was more willing to deviate from Johnson's formula even before Fritz got there. Basically he was brought in specifically so that the transition to the next level wouldn't be horrible and try to minimize the effects of switching offenses particularly because GSU didn't really want to switch offenses.

2014 isn't even the biggest transition that GSU had away from the option.