Georgia Postgame

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
False. I can say with absolute certainty that Watosn would've made the game more difficult to win. He got half of their first downs in back to back drives before he got hurt. Was he going to forget how to play football? Watson could have played the worst game of his career and he would still give them a better chance to win than a cold Stoudt. It's obvious you don't know how to admit you're wrong. That's fine. You win. If Watson played the whole game we would have won by a larger margin because Paul would have called a better game and we would've scored more than one offensive TD because he's the best coach in the whole world and anyone who says different just doesn't know what they're talking about...

On another note, work on your reading comprehension. Nobody is craping on the 2014. I swear you love mr Paul Johnson and will defend them man even when he's not being challenged. Go back and read my comments about the season. I think we could've played with anybody in the country at the end of the year. Our d may not have held up, but the way we were rolling, I wouldn't have bet against us. Don't understand why people like you can't see that it's possible to say we had an awesome team and also say that we caught some breaks.

Heck, look at Clemson this year against UNC. They very well might be the best team in the country, but if they lost that game, they most likely would've been on the outside looking in. It's possible to be really good and catch breaks. The freaking dwags do it every year.

Anything you attribute as a possibility that Watson "would have" done is a hypothetical. There is no way to know. What we do know is we beat a Clemson team that, using the same QB, destroyed a very good Oklahoma team.

You're not the only poster to pull out the "but Watson was injured" card, just the most recent. It's a tiresome argument, and in the end, it doesn't matter. We beat VPISU two years in a row with 2 different backup QBs that struggled to throw the ball.

Also, I've admitted we caught some breaks, but when I see that the record in 1 score games in 2014 was basically .500, it means the breaks evened out good and bad. Conversely, the 2009 11 win team was something like 6-1 in one score games, which meant we caught an abnormal share of breaks that season. The 2015 season was exactly opposite and we caught almost no breaks. My point was that we needn't "cheapen" wins by constantly trotting out the we were lucky card...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Too bad that HoF coach (57% winning vs P5 at GT. Average 7 wins / year. Real Dodd & Bryant numbers)) didn’t accept the responsibility to recruit for an entire football team.
57% and 7 games!! Wow, I'd take that any day of the week now. I might also add that the crack D backfield we always point to and all the 4 stars on D (check and you'll probably be surprised) are Paul's recruits.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, since we scored 21 points and had almost twice as much total offense against the Dwags last year, I think I'll stick with what I said.

7 points on a Juanyeh kick return and 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th. We did not score offensively in their starters last year and we scored 7 points in 2017.

Comparing these two games is silly. Yes we scored in the first half this year on offense, but only after a uga returner muffed a punt in the red zone. We were incapable of sustaining any kind of offensive rhythm during the game. In the end, the 2018 game was :poop: and the 2019 game was :poop:. Are we really concerned with which one smells the worst? I say just flush it and hope next year we can actually be competitive again.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Comparing these two games is silly. Yes we scored in the first half this year on offense, but only after a uga returner muffed a punt in the red zone. We were incapable of sustaining any kind of offensive rhythm during the game. In the end, the 2018 game was :poop: and the 2019 game was :poop:. Are we really concerned with which one smells the worst? I say just flush it and hope next year we can actually be competitive again.

The 2017 game was also :poop:. I agree with you. The fact is we have been physically overmatched and run off the field 3 years running, twice at home. Scheme is irrelevant with a talent (or more importantly, size) disparity that wide

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The 2017 game was also :poop:. I agree with you. The fact is we have been physically overmatched and run off the field 3 years running, twice at home. Scheme is irrelevant with a talent (or more importantly, size) disparity that wide

I agree. The problem is that I don't see that talent gap lessening significantly even with this recruiting class. The talent dropoff every few ranking spots outside of the top 10-15 or so starts to become increasingly exponential. uga has 16 players committed and has a rivals score of 2329, which is 648 greater than our 1681 with 22 players committed. With 4 more commits, uga will be in the top 3-4 and probably be at least a 1000 points better. For reference, 648 points separates 23rd (GT) from 55th (Indiana). The 1000 point gap is the talent differential between us currently and Illinois at 74th. I've been saying for a while that top 25-30 won't be good enough with this scheme. We are going to have to start cracking the top 20 routinely to have a legitimate chance. Hopefully CGC can turn the ship quickly.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The problem is that I don't see that talent gap lessening significantly even with this recruiting class. The talent dropoff every few ranking spots outside of the top 10-15 or so starts to become increasingly exponential. uga has 16 players committed and has a rivals score of 2329, which is 648 greater than our 1681 with 22 players committed. With 4 more commits, uga will be in the top 3-4 and probably be at least a 1000 points better. For reference, 648 points separates 23rd (GT) from 55th (Indiana). The 1000 point gap is the talent differential between us currently and Illinois at 74th. I've been saying for a while that top 25-30 won't be good enough with this scheme. We are going to have to start cracking the top 20 routinely to have a legitimate chance. Hopefully CGC can turn the ship quickly.

You're not wrong. Smart is recruiting on another level from even Richt. They are the only team that has been recruiting on Bama's level, though Clemson is finally joining that party. I think step 1 is establish clear talent advantages over the likes of Duke, Pitt, UVA, etc and increase our size so that we are at least not pushed around like little kids by Clemson and uga. Then, develop the heck out of who we get, start winning, investing and hopefully turn those top 25 classes into top 15's. But this is a long term deal and there is no shortcut.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Wish we could sticky this post.

But if the recruiting continues to improve the following year, then hopefully there's a trend there. What you have pointed out, however, is very true.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
You're not wrong. Smart is recruiting on another level from even Richt. They are the only team that has been recruiting on Bama's level, though Clemson is finally joining that party. I think step 1 is establish clear talent advantages over the likes of Duke, Pitt, UVA, etc and increase our size so that we are at least not pushed around like little kids by Clemson and uga. Then, develop the heck out of who we get, start winning, investing and hopefully turn those top 25 classes into top 15's. But this is a long term deal and there is no shortcut.

Yep. First goal is winning the Coastal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think step 1 is establish clear talent advantages over the likes of Duke, Pitt, UVA, etc and increase our size so that we are at least not pushed around like little kids by Clemson and uga. Then, develop the heck out of who we get, start winning, investing and hopefully turn those top 25 classes into top 15's. But this is a long term deal and there is no shortcut.
I agree, but this gets down to it. Can Tech realistically expect to have continu0us top 25 classes, much less top 15?

Personally, I think we have a higher ranked class today because 1) we haven't been going after spread option O players (no Embry Peeples clones need apply), 2) there's plenty of curiosity among recruits about the new coaching staff and they are doing a good selling job, and 3) it is still early days. I don't doubt that we'll end up in the high 20s or low 30s this year after things shake out. What I do doubt is that we'll be able to sustain that as the bloom wears off. Oth, Tech can and I expect it will have classes that have a chance to eliminate the gap with Pitt and VT. That and adequate coaching with useful schemes will get us where we have been for the last decade or so: either VT wins the Coastal or Tech does. (You note that I didn't include Duke or UVA; there isn't any recruiting disparity there that better infrastructure won't get rid of and quickly.) Tech probably will never recruit on the same level as Miami and UNC; we haven't since the late 90s and the reasons are known to all here.

In short, I think the vision of continuous top 25 classes evolving into top 15 is like the sugar plums in the kids's heads at Christmas. I don't see the route to bringing it to fruition. But … better recruiting and, above all else, more realistic scheduling can lead to better records. Getting Clemson rotated off of our ACC schedule would be an immense help in that. If I had one thing I want TStan to do, that would be it, now that strides are being made in recruiting infrastructure.

And, like I always say, I really do hope I'm wrong.