Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right, but programs like Michigan State and Iowa out of the Big 10 for example finished ranked less than we did.

And I think it’s foolish to believe a team that spends a decent portion of the season ranked is similar from a perspective standpoint than one that is never ranked. And College football is the ultimate dog and pony show.

After some quick research I’m even more confident we were a top 25 program during that stretch. We’ve had it good when compared to the majority of D-1 and P5 for that matter. It’s time we embrace our potential instead of run away with fro it.

Just did a quick check. Iowa finished ranked 7 times in that period to our 6, making your first sentence false.

Edit to add I just saw where you mis-presented the years as 89-04 instead of 89-14.

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It’s easy enough to truncate the data and look at only 1989-2014. I’ll do that. But .. Tech is not a consistent member of the club. That’s shown by the variability of the data.

This is one reason why turning over coaches can be detrimental. You introduce so much variability that it hurts overall performance.

You have both win and maintain. We don’t do a good job of the maintaining.

I think me and you are talking about 2 completely different things. Even your data shows over the past 30 years we are a borderline top 25 program. Look, I’m sure you are much smarter than myself. But I’m talking about over a given period of time, how many programs were better than us. In college football one way of measuring “better” is rankings. If there were not 25 teams that finished ranked more than us I think it’s a fair statement to say we were a top 25 program over that time.

Throw in our consistency indicated by our 18 year bowl streak and you know we didn’t have too many terrible years. Also figure in the MNC. The fact is over the past 30 years our program has easily been top third of P5. Just maybe we aren’t the weaklings we for some reason want to make us out to be.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just did a quick check. Iowa finished ranked 7 times in that period to our 6, making your first sentence false.

As for the bolded sentence, you should consider supporting that assertion with facts. Does wonders for credibility...

I have a monster spreadsheet and I can verify it after another coffee.

I think you could just make the claim we were Top 25 (barely) but also among the most inconsistent.

Still, since 2015, we aren’t a Top 25 program and the current trend is negative.
If CGC can crank out 8 wins a year consistently... he should get the Nobel Prize.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Yall are proving a point that most of you are biased and will only support a coach that runs your dungeon and dragons scheme. I hope we hire Monken one day and he flops, how stupid does that sound? Because that’s what yall all sound like.
Not Really.... Just a Coach who can win 6 games a year and get to a Bowl... I think the fan base sees a ton of similarities between Collins and Lewis.... Most fans see Oleary, Gaily, and Johnson in the same light.. Coaches who won on avg 7 games a season (with Johnson's winning a OB and a ACC Title)

And most Tech fans would like a Coach to get us to avg more than we have since 1997 to present...

FWIW... I could care less what scheme we run on O or D... As long as we win....

Also CGC... Defense looks good in year 1... Super stoked to see that build.... However I can't say I feel the same for the O... But IIWII!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
More BS spin.......He double the number of wins Navy had from the previous two years combined. That is not a rebuild.
Your hero, on the other hand, has take a above average team and made the a crap fest not capable of beating a FCS school.
Man If only Paul didn’t retire, it’d be a great feeling to be 3-3 waiting on the 55th ranked recruiting class to come in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think me and you are talking about 2 completely different things. Even your data shows over the past 30 years we are a borderline top 25 program. Look, I’m sure you are much smarter than myself. But I’m talking about over a given period of time, how many programs were better than us. In college football one way of measuring “better” is rankings. If there were not 25 teams that finished ranked more than us I think it’s a fair statement to say we were a top 25 program over that time.

Throw in our consistency indicated by our 18 year bowl streak and you know we didn’t have too many terrible years. Also figure in the MNC. The fact is over the past 30 years our program has easily been top third of P5. Just maybe we aren’t the weaklings we for some reason want to make us out to be.

Actually, I think we are saying the same thing. We are a borderline Top 25 program, just inconsistent. Are we in the top third of P5? Yes.

You can’t add on top though, bowl games and MNC. That’s selective double counting.

There’s another way to determine thid and I’ll do that shortly.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think we are saying the same thing. We are a borderline Top 25 program, just inconsistent. Are we in the top third of P5? Yes.

You can’t add on top though, bowl games and MNC. That’s selective double counting.

There’s another way to determine thid and I’ll do that shortly.

It’s not selective double counting. Just additional data. If BYU who finished ranked equally as much as we did, never finished in the top 10 while we finished in the top 10 3 times with an MNC, I think most would think that was better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Will any of this stuff help us today ?
No.

And we will never again see the days of a 5 loss ACC Team being ranked. We will never have Fridge as our OC. Boss Ross will not be coaching us. We’ll likely never see another Megatron. 2nd coming of Lil’ Joe is about as likely as finding Big Foot. No more Josh F’n Nesbitt or Mike Cox having the slowest TD gallop ever seen in the modern age. The Goose will never be loose again and we’re unlikely to have another Butkicker.

We won’t ever be able to relive the past. Things have changed but some people on here act like it’s 1985 again. I’m just glad I don’t have to work with any of them. Must be real fun. Times have changed and our program needs to change with the times. It’s still GT and we still have the same basic challenges.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No.

And we will never again see the days of a 5 loss ACC Team being ranked. We will never have Fridge as our OC. Boss Ross will not be coaching us. We’ll likely never see another Megatron. 2nd coming of Lil’ Joe is about as likely as finding Big Foot. No more Josh F’n Nesbitt or Mike Cox having the slowest TD gallop ever seen in the modern age. The Goose will never be loose again and we’re unlikely to have another Butkicker.

We won’t ever be able to relive the past. Things have changed but some people on here act like it’s 1985 again. I’m just glad I don’t have to work with any of them. Must be real fun. Times have changed and our program needs to change with the times. It’s still GT and we still have the same basic challenges.

True enough. I take comfort in the fact that Georgia Tech is one if the top 50 STEM schools in the world and the only research university playing competitive D1 football. On top of that, we lead the NCAA in APR.

I’m pretty proud of that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
True enough. I take comfort in the fact that Georgia Tech is one if the top 50 STEM schools in the world and the only research university playing competitive D1 football. On top of that, we lead the NCAA in APR.

I’m pretty proud of that.
GT needs to do what GT does best. Take a problem and solve it. I’m hopeful during my lifetime we will attack our athletic challenges in the same fashion we attack Engineering and Business challenges.

Go Jackets!

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. We were expected to lose to uga. We are always expected to lose to uga, and other than uga fans, other fan bases don't care about that loss to uga.

Lose to a mediocre FCS team and everyone mocks you. The Citadel loss is the worst loss of the last 30 years by a wide margin.

Nope. Choking a 20-pt lead at home vs your arch rival is infinitely worse than a loss to the Citadel or MTSU.

Literally, no one cared about MTSU loss in 2014, just 2 years after MTSU. No one is mocking us right now because we've not been nationally relevant for years.