Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The fact we finished in the Top 25 forty percent of the time suggests we are probably Top 40 .. we are streaky. Easy enough to put a frequency chart together and look at the data.

I really don’t think you have a good grasp on this. I’ve already referenced we finished in the top 25 more than Michigan State and Iowa. They were in the top half of programs in the Big 10 over that stretch. We finished in the top 25 more than South Carolina which represents the beginning of the back half of the SEC. Just go through the conferences and you will see we were clearly top half.
This is the thing that bothers me the most about our fan base. Why am I having to argue with fellow Tech fans about the history and ability of our program?

I’m telling you I KNOW you can’t find 30 programs better than us during that stretch yet you are telling me were maybe top 40. It blows my mind.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Last time, and yes. You said - and apparently were not joking - that Bill Lewis left the program in a better place than Paul Johnson. Have a nice evening.

OK. I encourage you to challenge me instead of ignore me but if I make your time on the board less pleasant then by all means nuke me. Life is too short.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t think you have a good grasp on this. I’ve already referenced we finished in the top 25 more than Michigan State and Iowa. They were in the top half of programs in the Big 10 over that stretch. We finished in the top 25 more than South Carolina which represents the beginning of the back half of the SEC. Just go through the conferences and you will see we were clearly top half.
This is the thing that bothers me the most about our fan base. Why am I having to argue with fellow Tech fans about the history and ability of our program?

I’m telling you I KNOW you can’t find 30 programs better than us during that stretch yet you are telling me were maybe top 40. It blows my mind.

Why is it so you don’t want to look at the data? It is easy to get. Just look at it objectively.

I could care less that we were better than Iowa. The definition of a Top 25 program is that is consistently in the Top 25. We aren’t. In the last 30 years, 1989-2019, we are in the Top 25 ten times.

Alabama IS a Top 25 program. They are there every year.

So if you don’t want to disagree, define what a Top 25 program is. My definition is that a Top 25 program actually finishes in the Top 25.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Why is it so you don’t want to look at the data? It is easy to get. Just look at it objectively.

I could care less that we were better than Iowa. The definition of a Top 25 program is that is consistently in the Top 25. We aren’t. In the last 30 years, 1989-2019, we are in the Top 25 ten times.

So if you don’t want to disagree, define what a Top 25 program is. My definition is that a Top 25 program actually finishes in the Top 25.

First off, you do agree there has to be 25 programs in the top 25 right? It sounds like you don’t think that. It sounds like you think in order to be a top 25 program you must be ranked 75% of the time. You do understand by that standard there are only 10-15 top 25 programs don’t you? In order for GT not to be a top 25 program during that 25 year span there had to be 25 programs that were better.

Alabama is not a top 25 program. They are a top 5 program.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
First off, you do agree there has to be 25 programs in the top 25 right? It sounds like you don’t think that. It sounds like you think in order to be a top 25 program you must be ranked 75% of the time. You do understand by that standard there are only 10-15 top 25 programs don’t you? In order for GT not to be a top 25 program during that 25 year span there had to be 25 programs that were better.

Alabama is not a top 25 program. They are a top 5 program.

I don’t want to argue. Define a time period and just look at the data. It’s all there.

And Alabama, by being a Top 5 program, is also a Top 25 program. It’s called a subset. They teach that in basic math.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to argue. Define a time period and just look at the data. It’s all there.

And Alabama, by being a Top 5 program, is also a Top 25 program. It’s called a subset. They teach that in basic math.

Believe me I don’t want to argue either. However you keep saying the data is there and I completely agree with you and it points to me being correct.
For example there are 14 teams in the current BIG 10. The data says 5 programs were better than us during that span. They were

1. Neb
2. Much
3. Ohio St
4. Penn St
5. Wisconsin

the other programs are

6. Michigan St
7. Iowa
8. Indiana
9. Purdue
10. Rutgers
11. NW hi
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Maryland

Can you point to anyone from a Michigan State down that was better than us during the 25 year stretch in discussion? The answer is a pretty clear no to my eyes. In order for us not to be a top 25 program in the years in question program like Michigan State have to be ahead of us and the data just doesn’t support that.

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved, loved Paul's offense...ran clock, time-of-possession, more-with-less OL guys..loved it..but Paul had gotten even more stubborn and crusty...just like every East TN/West NC appy mountain guy ever ...he was fighting with our big donors, which meant he was gone.... 11 years is a good run, right?..... He thinks, "I'm 63 or 64 yrs old and half my fan base hates me so f**k it, I'm out".... I get this...
So we need a new coach...Dodd is dead and Saban probably is not interested so we end up with Geoff..... I believe Todd Stansbury made a good call...even though I hate the juicy, dance team-turn over chain bull-sh*t....I'm old and I'll get over it.....I'm with Geoff because he wants to be at Georgia Tech...he isn't auditioning for the Tennessee job, or anywhere else....I get sick when he calls time out on 3rd and goal at Clemson 2, or when his team (our team) gets three personal foul penalties during one drive vs ......gag..gag...vomit...the Citadel....or two 12--men-on-the-field penalties vs Pitt... Not Ready For Prime Time coaching here, boys...but Geoff loves Tech....
And being a Tech man is acceptance of the fact that Tech fandom comes with crushing disappointment.....
Sorry for ramble.... Merlot bottle is empty... Night

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Believe me I don’t want to argue either. However you keep saying the data is there and I completely agree with you and it points to me being correct.
For example there are 14 teams in the current BIG 10. The data says 5 programs were better than us during that span. They were

1. Neb
2. Much
3. Ohio St
4. Penn St
5. Wisconsin

the other programs are

6. Michigan St
7. Iowa
8. Indiana
9. Purdue
10. Rutgers
11. NW hi
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Maryland

Can you point to anyone from a Michigan State down that was better than us during the 25 year stretch in discussion? The answer is a pretty clear no to my eyes. In order for us not to be a top 25 program in the years in question program like Michigan State have to be ahead of us and the data just doesn’t support that.

Reluctantly, I will prepare a frequency chart tomorrow morning. You *may* be right, but since the NCAA data is available, I prefer to review it directly. Otherwise, we are relying on anecdotal data.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Don’t worry. Collins will turn this program around. Unlike CPJ he won’t worry about the naysayers. He has learned from Saban and will keep moving forward no matter what certain GT fans say. We are way past the days of our coach whining about outside distractions. Collins is focused on this team not his legacy or his system.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Reluctantly, I will prepare a frequency chart tomorrow morning. You *may* be right, but since the NCAA data is available, I prefer to review it directly. Otherwise, we are relying on anecdotal data.

I don’t want you to reluctantly do anything. If you do it however, What will be in your data? I may have already done the work for you.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Just so you know, I e already researched the Big 10 and SEC. For example Michigan State finished ranked 8 times with 3 top 10’s. While close it is slightly below our numbers without a national championship. And I think you will see Mich St is a borderline top 25 program over that period.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Coach Pitts ?
Yes, I was referring to Dan Pitts at Mary Persons. Some would dismiss him by saying he won only 1 state championship, but he was in the hunt most years. Ironically, one of his best teams (‘74) didn’t go to the playoffs even though their record was 9-1. Back the. Only 1 team per region went to the playoffs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I was referring to Dan Pitts at Mary Persons. Some would dismiss him by saying he won only 1 state championship, but he was in the hunt most years. Ironically, one of his best teams (‘74) didn’t go to the playoffs even though their record was 9-1. Back the. Only 1 team per region went to the playoffs.
I remember him I was in Columbus in the late 60's and had a few friends that played for Pacelli and they plays Mary Persons. The High School I played for was Baker High which is no longer there. Back then you could go to any school if you could get there. Al ( Pig) Davis tried to get 6 of us to come to Columbus High 3 did the other 2 and me went to Baker.

Animal02

Banned

I looked at the top 25 teams a while ago. (final one...the only one that really counts IMO) over the last couple of decades. There were only a handful of teams consistently in the final poll. The number of teams that never made it were dwarfed by the number that made in at least once.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I looked at the top 25 teams a while ago. (final one...the only one that really counts IMO) over the last couple of decades. There were only a handful of teams consistently in the final poll. The number of teams that never made it were dwarfed by the number that made in at least once.

You are correct. After getting my coffee, I did a frequency distribution on all teams that finished in the Top 25 for the period 1989-2018. A total of 93 unique teams have at least once, been ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the season.

Georgia Tech finished ranked in the Top 25 at season end 10 times. Tech would rank 29th by rankings, tied with BYU. The next step is to conduct a variation calculation to look at the consistency at which the rankings repeat. This would tell us if Tech, even at 10 events, would be a consistent member of the Top 25 or if it's inconsistent.

28 other teams finished with more rankings than Tech. The complete list is:

1 FSU 25
2 Ohio State 24
3 Michigan 23
4 Florida 22
5 Alabama 21
6 Oklahoma 20
7 Miam FL 19
8 Nebraska 19
9 Auburn 18
10 Georgia 18
11 Penn State 18
12 Tennessee 18
13 Texas 18
14 Clemson 17
15 Notre Dame 17
16 USC 17
17 Virginia Tech 17
18 Wisconsin 16
19 Oregon 15
20 Texas A&M 14
21 Kansas State 13
22 Boise St 12
23 TCU 12
24 Washington 12
25 Colorado 11
26 Iowa 11
27 West Virginia 11
28 BYU 10
29 Georgia Tech 10

Animal02

Banned
You are correct. After getting my coffee, I did a frequency distribution on all teams that finished in the Top 25 for the period 1989-2018. A total of 93 unique teams have at least once, been ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the season.

Georgia Tech finished ranked in the Top 25 at season end 10 times. Tech would rank 29th by rankings, tied with BYU. The next step is to conduct a variation calculation to look at the consistency at which the rankings repeat. This would tell us if Tech, even at 10 events, would be a consistent member of the Top 25 or if it's inconsistent.

28 other teams finished with more rankings than Tech. The complete list is:

1 FSU 25
2 Ohio State 24
3 Michigan 23
4 Florida 22
5 Alabama 21
6 Oklahoma 20
7 Miam FL 19
8 Nebraska 19
9 Auburn 18
10 Georgia 18
11 Penn State 18
12 Tennessee 18
13 Texas 18
14 Clemson 17
15 Notre Dame 17
16 USC 17
17 Virginia Tech 17
18 Wisconsin 16
19 Oregon 15
20 Texas A&M 14
21 Kansas State 13
22 Boise St 12
23 TCU 12
24 Washington 12
25 Colorado 11
26 Iowa 11
27 West Virginia 11
28 BYU 10
29 Georgia Tech 10
Yes, I thought the number was over 90, but couldn't find the original post and didn't what any of the usual characters here flinging more accusations, so that made for the awkward description. :D

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So 1 ranking from a Top 25 program. Gotcha

And it’s not even the years that we’re being disputed. The claim was the was that we were a top 25 program from 89-14. It’s clear when you take out the last 4 years that we were a top 25 program. Honestly, looking at the the data over the 30 years leading up to this year we were still a top 25 program. The national championship trumps a team that has been ranked a time or two more than us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And it’s not even the years that we’re being disputed. The claim was the was that we were a top 25 program from 89-14. It’s clear when you take out the last 4 years that we were a top 25 program. Honestly, looking at the the data over the 30 years leading up to this year we were still a top 25 program. The national championship trumps a team that has been ranked a time or two more than us.

It’s easy enough to truncate the data and look at only 1989-2014. I’ll do that. But .. Tech is not a consistent member of the club. That’s shown by the variability of the data.

This is one reason why turning over coaches can be detrimental. You introduce so much variability that it hurts overall performance.

You have both win and maintain. We don’t do a good job of the maintaining.