Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yet absolutely no one in the national discussion of college football EVER mentions the Citadel loss and it was barely a blip the very day it happened. Why? Because it's inconsequential and just not as big a deal as we think. We've been relegated to irrelevance long before this season started and everyone outside our forums predicted just about everything we've seen so far: Losses during a major rebuild/overhaul of our program.

I totally agree with your other 3 examples.
Dude, I don’t sit in a cube all day. Nobody down my way expected GT would have this bad a season. Nobody. I told them I thought we’d win 2-3 games even though I thought we’d win 5-6. The consensus was we’d make a bowl, but without the scheme advantage we’d be stuck in the perennial Poulan Weedeater bowl from now on.

There’s extreme ribbing among the college football fans where I work, about half the workforce follows college football a fair amount. GT grads make up less than 1% of my workforce & I’m really the only football fan among our grads. The Team talks football nearly all year round with recruiting & spring games, etc and GT gets minimal attention unless we’re having a great season, ie 2014; we pull off an upset, ie the mutt of like the 2015 FSU game, or we screw the pooch. It will be a good while until the Citadel game stops being discussed when I’m in an area. It usually goes something like: Hey you got rid of your HS Offense & got beat by a HS Offense. Then I get an update on Citadel’s record. Next is: You guys going to keep getting your butts kicked or are you out looking for another HS coach? Then it’s followed by: That option stuff you guys ran was damn tough to stop. You guys are crazy. If their team is on our schedule that’s followed by: I’m glad we don’t have to face that **** no more. It hasn;t stopped since we lost to Citadel and won;t.

The few mutt fans just laugh when I walk by now. They started telling me we had no chance of ever beating them again at the beginning of the season. Previous years they kept their mouths shut until after the game was over, then ran their traps for a few weeks by comparing their bowl game to ours.

Maybe I live in a weird part of the universe, but I don’t think so.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I've literally heard nothing about the Citadel from my group of college-football-fan friends. The UT guys in my friend group have caught far more flack for their season than we have for ours. Most everyone outside of GT forums knew we were in for a long season and massive rebuild.
I had someone who has never talked football to me before or since, come up and say that "my team isn't very good but at least we didn't lose to Citadel"... It matters...

Scubapro

Banned
Dude, I don’t sit in a cube all day. Nobody down my way expected GT would have this bad a season. Nobody. I told them I thought we’d win 2-3 games even though I thought we’d win 5-6. The consensus was we’d make a bowl, but without the scheme advantage we’d be stuck in the perennial Poulan Weedeater bowl from now on.

There’s extreme ribbing among the college football fans where I work, about half the workforce follows college football a fair amount. GT grads make up less than 1% of my workforce & I’m really the only football fan among our grads. The Team talks football nearly all year round with recruiting & spring games, etc and GT gets minimal attention unless we’re having a great season, ie 2014; we pull off an upset, ie the mutt of like the 2015 FSU game, or we screw the pooch. It will be a good while until the Citadel game stops being discussed when I’m in an area. It usually goes something like: Hey you got rid of your HS Offense & got beat by a HS Offense. Then I get an update on Citadel’s record. Next is: You guys going to keep getting your butts kicked or are you out looking for another HS coach? Then it’s followed by: That option stuff you guys ran was damn tough to stop. You guys are crazy. If their team is on our schedule that’s followed by: I’m glad we don’t have to face that **** no more. It hasn;t stopped since we lost to Citadel and won;t.

The few mutt fans just laugh when I walk by now. They started telling me we had no chance of ever beating them again at the beginning of the season. Previous years they kept their mouths shut until after the game was over, then ran their traps for a few weeks by comparing their bowl game to ours.

We must work in parallel universes.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I never said you do sit in a cube all day, nor do I.

You do clearly work and live in an area where the Citadel loss means much more to you than it does to me....and I live 30 miles north of Atlanta and literally host a college pool of over 50 people.

Not one single fan of any other team has even mentioned the Citadel loss. Not 1.

Sorry it's made your life more difficult than it's made mine. It's a ****ty loss that will ultimately be of no consequence to the GT football program. It's a ****ty loss that has been all but forgotten by the vast majority of college football.

And no one I know ever laments our loss of the option offense - they knew it had made us so completely irrelevant and that we'd never be in the CFP discussion with it that a loss to a team like the Citadel would be practically unnoticed by the national media. And they were right and congratulated me by the dozens the day a year ago that PJ announced he was quitting.

Maybe you do live in a weird part of the universe?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I had someone who has never talked football to me before or since, come up and say that "my team isn't very good but at least we didn't lose to Citadel"... It matters...

Strange. The only place that mentions the Citadel loss is GT Swarm. My friends who are SEC grads, ACC grads, fans of CF in general...no one talks about the Citadel. Lots of UT talk after the GA State debacle but silence on the Citadel. I think it's because we'd become completely irrelevant before this year. Hopefully that will change.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

It’s tough being a Tech fan. There was a reason CPJ was hired - it’s difficult to get, and keep, enough top caliber talent here to win with a conventional offense, so he sought to neutralize the talent gap schematically. Sadly, we have gone from a recent culture of mediocrity to a current culture of great hype, but poor results. Maybe the team on the field will catch up eventually to the team on social media. I hope so...

LibertyTurns

Banned

You do clearly work and live in an area where the Citadel loss means much more to you than it does to me....and I live 30 miles north of Atlanta and literally host a college pool of over 50 people.

Not one single fan of any other team has even mentioned the Citadel loss. Not 1.

Sorry it's made your life more difficult than it's made mine. It's a ****ty loss that will ultimately be of no consequence to the GT football program. It's a ****ty loss that has been all but forgotten by the vast majority of college football.

And no one I know ever laments our loss of the option offense - they knew it had made us so completely irrelevant and that we'd never be in the CFP discussion with it that a loss to a team like the Citadel would be practically unnoticed by the national media. And they were right and congratulated me by the dozens the day a year ago that PJ announced he was quitting.

The majority of GT fans had become tired of the option offense. It was time for something different. A very small percentage wanted to retain it, but really that ship had sailed. Oddly, the people more interested in seeing it go were the teams we played.

It doesn’t make my life difficult getting ribbed over GT sports. I’m coming up on 5 decades & would have packed it in a long time ago if I was a thin skinned little girl that can’t take what I can dish out. Tomorrow’s going to be a fun day- the greatest conference in the history of the world had losses to W. Ky & App St, the mutt got screwed in the ranking because nobody’s going to put Bammer under them with 1 loss. They’re on the outside looking in where they belong. Lastly, Minn is the latest Cinderella. Gibes everybody that hates the perennial 5 teams in the Top 5 someone to root for.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s tough being a Tech fan. There was a reason CPJ was hired - it’s difficult to get, and keep, enough top caliber talent here to win with a conventional offense, so he sought to neutralize the talent gap schematically. Sadly, we have gone from a recent culture of mediocrity to a current culture of great hype, but poor results. Maybe the team on the field will catch up eventually to the team on social media. I hope so...

I’m not sure a lot of thought went into CPJ’s hiring. I’ve never heard it was a strategy to go TO ... CPJ was a winner and wanted the job.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

Imagine being an adult and this worried about what other people think. Yeesh.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So you do not think AD D-Rad thought about hiring Coach Johnson???

What did I say?

I merely commented that CPJ was hired for his record and not necessarily his TO. I’m sure you know, I mean of course you do, that the AA only established a strategic plan for the first time 2 years ago. As in ever.

Animal02

Banned
Sure. I guess my point is that outside the fans of a certain team, the result of an isolated game is . . . isolated.
Yep. A few weeks ago, I was sitting on a plane next to a guy that, from all the talk was a big sports follower. Talking about multiple players from multiple teams and what their draft status would be. He didn't even we had a new coach.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nobody at work congratulated me on PJ's retirement. A lot of people said "what happened" and "wow" when we lost to the Citadel. True Story. (also, a LOT of my friends and co-workers were fans of the TO and GT, even though GT is not their team)

UGAG fans and other teams' fans that had to face the offense are some of the most happy people that we don't run that offense anymore. And, of course, those GT fans who believe we can be a competitive recruiting force (and those who were embarrassed by others who "made fun of the offense", even though they did not enjoy playing against it).

Milwaukee

Banned

What consensus are you even trying to refer to? That's just a made up statement on your part unless you're referring to a small inner circle of people that only you talk to. The talking heads predicted what we are watching unfortunately, but by all means carry on. Some of you guys are being ridiculous.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Yeah. My experience for one is absolutely nothing like yours. For example I went to the Clemson Syracuse game last year and wore my GT stuff obviously. I can’t tell you how many people asked how much longer we were going to stick with Johnson. They talked about how fun the GT/Clemson game used to be before he arrived but in their estimation he had run the program down. That opinion was unanimous among the half dozen or so people I talked with that day.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What consensus are you even trying to refer to? That's just a made up statement on your part unless you're referring to a small inner circle of people that only you talk to. The talking heads predicted what we are watching unfortunately, but by all means carry on. Some of you guys are being ridiculous.
No I didn’t run a formal survey commissioned by Rand Corporation or something. All I’m saying is nobody down here in Florida where I work or any place I hang out thought our season would turn out like this. We’re just football fans & almost to a man I get “Hey GT, what the hell did you guys do?”. Some of you guys live in some sort of be nice to GT bubble or you just ignore what you don’t want to hear. I understand the desire to paint the program as completely broke, because that gives everybody a natural excuse for writing this season & next season off. Frankly, decisions were made & they have repercussions. Different choices could have been made & the results would have been different. How different, anyone’s guess. There are facts at hand: We were 7-6 last year which is not a horrible record. We are 2-7 this year. Asterisk it all you want but we have a record and it is what it is. We didn't have to be 2-7 this year. We chose to transition in the fashion we have.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
The majority of GT fans had become tired of the option offense. It was time for something different. A very small percentage wanted to retain it, but really that ship had sailed. Oddly, the people more interested in seeing it go were the teams we played.

It doesn’t make my life difficult getting ribbed over GT sports. I’m coming up on 5 decades & would have packed it in a long time ago if I was a thin skinned little girl that can’t take what I can dish out. Tomorrow’s going to be a fun day- the greatest conference in the history of the world had losses to W. Ky & App St, the mutt got screwed in the ranking because nobody’s going to put Bammer under them with 1 loss. They’re on the outside looking in where they belong. Lastly, Minn is the latest Cinderella. Gibes everybody that hates the perennial 5 teams in the Top 5 someone to root for.

It's sad that I can only Like this response once, esp. the bolded part.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Imagine being an adult and this worried about what other people think. Yeesh.

What part of my response indicates worrying about what anyone thinks? LOL - you really have a unique ability to completely miss someone's opinion. If anything, I could not begin to care less what people think about my football team losing. My repeated usage of the word "inconsequential" should've been a dead giveaway to that. Not sure how you missed it? Clearly, the only people here "worried about what other people think" are the ones still crying about how badly the Citadel loss hurt them and how other fans are teasing them about it.

Imagine caring what other school's fans think of your alma mater's football team losing to any other team, as if it has any real, actual impact on anyone's life in this forum whatsoever.

Anyone who is actually, truly upset about losing to the Citadel should look in a mirror and re-examine their life's priorities.

That some of our fans are really explains a lot.

Animal02

Banned
No I didn’t run a formal survey commissioned by Rand Corporation or something. All I’m saying is nobody down here in Florida where I work or any place I hang out thought our season would turn out like this. We’re just football fans & almost to a man I get “Hey GT, what the hell did you guys do?”. Some of you guys live in some sort of be nice to GT bubble or you just ignore what you don’t want to hear. I understand the desire to paint the program as completely broke, because that gives everybody a natural excuse for writing this season & next season off. Frankly, decisions were made & they have repercussions. Different choices could have been made & the results would have been different. How different, anyone’s guess. There are facts at hand: We were 7-6 last year which is not a horrible record. We are 2-7 this year. Asterisk it all you want but we have a record and it is what it is. We didn't have to be 2-7 this year. We chose to transition in the fashion we have.
I would "Like" this a hundred time if I could. And the attitude of these games are "scrimmages" as in a throw away year is abhorrent both to the existing players and fans,.