Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So you need to clarify that. From 1989 to 2004, we were ranked x weeks.

I think it’s nonsense to beat Gardner Webb and Elon, get a ranking, and crow about it. Only to lose 97-3 to Clemson.

I think it’s safe to say the years we cracked the top 15 was not because we won games like that. We are not a program that starts off ranked high for no reason.

We were better than half the current SEC during that stretch. Clearly better than UK, Vandy, USCjr, Ole Miss, MSU, Ark and Mizzou

From BIG 10 better than everyone not named Mich, OSU, PSU, Wis, and Neb

BIG 12 Haven’t researches but who was better than us there other than UT and OU? OSU was close as was TCU but neither were obviously better I don’t think.

PAC 12. USC and Oregon were obviously better. Who else? Washington?

ACC- FSU, Clemson, VT, and Miami. Anybody else?

That is 21 teams right there. I may be missing some but we were right there at that top 25 cut line. And clearly better than over half of P5. Yet we always bemoan our challenges.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s safe to say the years we cracked the top 15 was not because we won games like that. We are not a program that starts off ranked high for no reason.

We were better than half the current SEC during that stretch. Clearly better than UK, Vandy, USCjr, Ole Miss, MSU, Ark and Mizzou

BIG 12 Haven’t researches but who was better than us there other than UT and OU? OSU was close as was TCU but neither were obviously better I don’t think.

That is 21 teams right there. I may be missing some but we were right there at that top 25 cut line. And clearly better than over half of P5. Yet we always bemoan our challenges.

Just to clarify .... you are citing 2004 as the period?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

For the period 1989-2004, Tech was in the Top 25 four times at the end of the season.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
So success for you is becoming Clemson? That ain’t happening.
No, no. I’ve been reliably informed that Collins is going to improve our recruiting to such an extent that we will be competing with heavyweights.

Alternatively, I could say that my position has always been that I’m willing to roll with a coach who gives me the boom years every five years or so. 9-3 or something is pretty good - for us, at least - but what I like are the years where we are a heavyweight. We have had four of them in the past generation or so. That’s it, but that’s what I value. If a coach gives me those, I’ll never complain.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
No, no. I’ve been reliably informed that Collins is going to improve our recruiting to such an extent that we will be competing with heavyweights.

Alternatively, I could say that my position has always been that I’m willing to roll with a coach who gives me the boom years e very five years or so. 9-3 or something is pretty good - for us, at least - but what I like are the years where we are a heavyweight. We have had four of them in the past generation or so. That’s it, but that’s what I value. If a coach gives me those, I’ll never complain.

What? Please ignore the people telling you will be a top 10 program.

Jolly Good Fellow
It is all about QB play..not OL or DL or RB or long snapper....when GT has been ranked, we had special guy back there..every single one of our "good" teams had "great" QB'ing.... regardless of head coach or offense scheme...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Frank Beamer VT

You should not have told me, some of the wise guys would have figured it out. I was just too lazy. I knew Frank had a checkered career early on. I wonder what he would say was the turning point or if there was one. I know that the offensive coordinator and Coach Foster were with him for an unusually long time. Perhaps, hanging on to good assistants was one key factor. Another was that the Hokies began to recruit better than the instate school Cavs. He got good players but Coach Beamer also managed to get a lot out of them too.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I double checked. For the period 1989-2014, we finished the season ranked in the Top 25 ten times.

Right. Throw in the bowl streak, Multiple top 10 finishes and a national Champinship and we were clearly a top 25 program over that 25 year stretch in my view.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Right. Throw in the bowl streak, Multiple top 10 finishes and a national Champinship and we were clearly a top 25 program over that 25 year stretch in my view.

The fact we finished in the Top 25 forty percent of the time suggests we are probably Top 40 .. we are streaky. Easy enough to put a frequency chart together and look at the data.