Gameday Question ?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I am definitely not a Yankee. I just prefer the east side, because I sit on the east side of the stadium.
Yep. Just more convenient. I also will “tailgate” at Marlow’s. I really like that place for whatever reason. Pop by the bookstore on the walk in. Hang on the 5th street bridge and pound some beers or drinks and head in down past frat row. Just how I’ve been doing it for the last 10-15 years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Is less than a mile LONG? If someone wanted to they could jump on Marta and take it one stop to North Ave but that seems a little ridiculous AND I wasn’t inviting you anyway.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Is less than a mile LONG? If someone wanted to they could jump on Marta and take it one stop to North Ave but that seems a little ridiculous AND I wasn’t inviting you anyway.

It’s LONG if you’re disabled or elderly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
Were you in a fraternity back when you were in college? If so, some of them on campus are very welcoming in having their alumni return to their house for tailgates.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Just more convenient. I also will “tailgate” at Marlow’s. I really like that place for whatever reason. Pop by the bookstore on the walk in. Hang on the 5th street bridge and pound some beers or drinks and head in down past frat row. Just how I’ve been doing it for the last 10-15 years.

I am kidding about the "Yankee" stuff, but I do personally feel that it is worth the effort to get to one of the green spaces to set up and have a beautiful morning/afternoon instead of in a restaurant or asphalt parking lot. Just my opinion.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
But how far of a trek is it to the lawns from parking? I have roughly 200+lbs of equipment including a generator I'd bring....

Again, from where I tailgate on lawn, you can park a car within 50 yards, unload, and then move the car to the nearby deck. If you want to pay to have a pass in the Student Center deck or the lot behind the old Chem E building, you can have a spot 50 yards from tailgating. Not a problem if you are planning to be out there for a while.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, from where I tailgate on lawn, you can park a car within 50 yards, unload, and then move the car to the nearby deck. If you want to pay to have a pass in the Student Center deck or the lot behind the old Chem E building, you can have a spot 50 yards from tailgating. Not a problem if you are planning to be out there for a while.
I consider Bunger Henry to be the old Materials Building. ChemE and EAS just occupied some of the space.;)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the info. This does look like it will have some impact, but not too much. It looks like the Student Center project will leave the Student Center deck, but get rid of the outdoor student center parking lot west of the deck. The actual green spaces will remain largely the same, with only about 10-15% of the field behind the Student Center/Boggs being affected. The rest, shown by the black circles, will remain the same.

67813635_10110313396193200_4283500072622096384_n.jpg

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
So if you wanted to tailgate in some of the green spaces, which ones would you personally recommend for someone bringing their wife and two kids? Would have a tent, cooler, chairs, etc and would like access to nearby parking and a bathroom? Sorry for the newb question [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
Marlow’s Tavern. It is a restaurant/bar. It’s over by Mac’s in between Spring and West Peachtree. The same building as Publix.

It is pretty convenient, pretty good and reasonably priced. Never tail gated there before a football game but have before basketball and it worked well.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So if you wanted to tailgate in some of the green spaces, which ones would you personally recommend for someone bringing their wife and two kids? Would have a tent, cooler, chairs, etc and would like access to nearby parking and a bathroom? Sorry for the newb question [emoji1787]

Happy to help. So, on the map I showed above, as the circles get closer to the stadium, it gets harder to get a bunch of gear to the tailgate spot. The spot closest to the stadium is most difficult to access and I wouldn't recommend trying to set up there if you have a ton of gear. It is a great area though, and that is probably why that is where the pay-for-tailgate spots are set up.

The next closest circle is good, but only if you get a season parking pass in the lot between Bunger-Henry and Boggs.

Otherwise, the farthest one is the easiest and where I tailgate. I am including another map below. You can pull your car right up to the field and unload, then go park in the Student Rec Center parking deck (no season pass necessary). The bathrooms in the MRDC building are always open and sometimes also in the IC building. About a 15 min leisurely walk to the stadium. Lots of families out there and kids playing catch, grilling out, cornhole, etc. Real southern tailgating ; ) (Just don't take my spot! lol)

67809436_10110335702441300_5836298434239266816_n.jpg

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Happy to help. So, on the map I showed above, as the circles get closer to the stadium, it gets harder to get a bunch of gear to the tailgate spot. The spot closest to the stadium is most difficult to access and I wouldn't recommend trying to set up there if you have a ton of gear. It is a great area though, and that is probably why that is where the pay-for-tailgate spots are set up.

The next closest circle is good, but only if you get a season parking pass in the lot between Bunger-Henry and Boggs.

Otherwise, the farthest one is the easiest and where I tailgate. I am including another map below. You can pull your car right up to the field and unload, then go park in the Student Rec Center parking deck (no season pass necessary). The bathrooms in the MRDC building are always open and sometimes also in the IC building. About a 15 min leisurely walk to the stadium. Lots of families out there and kids playing catch, grilling out, cornhole, etc. Real southern tailgating ; ) (Just don't take my spot! lol)

67809436_10110335702441300_5836298434239266816_n.jpg
Thank you SO much! This is incredibly helpful!!