Gameday Question ?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've done Tailgate Guys. It was perfect for my "group"... as is already mentioned, it is pricey. But you can defray that with numbers. It is ideal for a large group willing to pay....especially if you fly in from out of town (lacking supplies). Location (Tech Green) is awesome. Logistics is easy. They provide tent, cooler(s), ice (finite amount), some chairs, tables. You're on hook for you food & beverage. Bring your own or use "partnered" caterers for chow (addition cost).

I'd recommend checking out their website for details on what it's all about to make sure you're getting into something your group wants to do. Or call them.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I am a young alumni with two young kids ages 4 and 5 who haven't been great at going to games. We have 4 season tickets to United and they never want to go, so I debated getting 4 tickets to Tech games for a long time. Ended up deciding to do two mobile passes for this year, and will add Tix for them any game they want to go to.

That being said, I'm looking for a full time tailgating spot for the year as well. My wife doesn't love the heat, so the closer the better. That lot beside the Varsity could certainly be an option. Any thoughts?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I am a young alumni with two young kids ages 4 and 5 who haven't been great at going to games. We have 4 season tickets to United and they never want to go, so I debated getting 4 tickets to Tech games for a long time. Ended up deciding to do two mobile passes for this year, and will add Tix for them any game they want to go to.

That being said, I'm looking for a full time tailgating spot for the year as well. My wife doesn't love the heat, so the closer the better. That lot beside the Varsity could certainly be an option. Any thoughts?

The rear Varsity lot does not offer season passes, so you have to get there early for the games .... and VERY EARLY for the big games.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Good to know! When you say early, how early are you thinking? Normally do United tailgates 5 hours prior to kick. Similar for Tech?

I'd say 5 is about right for big games. UGA you may have to be 7 hours lol.
VT, Clemson, type games I'd say 5 is good. Citadel, USF, UNC , Pitt I'd say even 3 hours isn't bad. But I would go too much closer than 3 hours before.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd say 5 is about right for big games. UGA you may have to be 7 hours lol.
VT, Clemson, type games I'd say 5 is good. Citadel, USF, UNC , Pitt I'd say even 3 hours isn't bad. But I would go too much closer than 3 hours before.
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure it's a different animal since folks generally want to watch other games during tailgates. Not that way with United

Good to know! When you say early, how early are you thinking? Normally do United tailgates 5 hours prior to kick. Similar for Tech?

Yeah, I would think 5 would do it. Even when it was an official Tech lot, I would try to get there at least 3 hours before kickoff. Since I had a reservation, there were always spaces available, but for the big games, it was close. On a first-come/first-served basis, just be prepared.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I would think 5 would do it. Even when it was an official Tech lot, I would try to get there at least 3 hours before kickoff. Since I had a reservation, there were always spaces available, but for the big games, it was close. On a first-come/first-served basis, just be prepared.
Thank you! Can't wait! Going to try and get the kids to do a couple of tailgates. Anyone have any tips on keeping young ones entertained prior to kickoff? [emoji39]

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure it's a different animal since folks generally want to watch other games during tailgates. Not that way with United

I'll say this. Tailgating at tech is lightyears behind say ole miss, clemson, bama, Falcons games, and United games. I wish it was better, but most fans show up 30 minutes before kick off. We get there around 4 hours before kickoff and have a blast.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll say this. Tailgating at tech is lightyears behind say ole miss, clemson, bama, Falcons games, and United games. I wish it was better, but most fans show up 30 minutes before kick off. We get there around 4 hours before kickoff and have a blast.
Yeah I think I will probably just bring them to the opener, and then feel out the tailgate atmosphere before trying to bring them to that

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Thank you! Can't wait! Going to try and get the kids to do a couple of tailgates. Anyone have any tips on keeping young ones entertained prior to kickoff? [emoji39]

Cornhole, throwing the football, depending on the ages.

we may end up bringing the TV for night games. That way we can watch all the day games early on.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Cornhole, throwing the football, depending on the ages.

we may end up bringing the TV for night games. That way we can watch all the day games early on.
Mine are 4 and 5. They do like Cornhole. They'd prefer an iPad but that's definitely not gonna happen. Probably need to pick up a small soft Nerf type football for them

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Most people like to tailgate where (or at least close to) they park, so they don't have to take stuff back and forth between a lot and a tailgate spot. Also, it is my understanding that the field next to the Student Center no longer exists, due to construction.

If you tailgate in the field by the student center lot, you can park within 100 yards (or drive your car closer and drop your stuff off). Again, as compared to tailgating on asphalt, that is a no-brainer to me.

Also, are you saying that entire field is going to be under construction for the fall? That is a giant area. There have been small portions of that area roped off for construction over the years, but never more than 10-15% at a time.

If you tailgate in the field by the student center lot, you can park within 100 yards (or drive your car closer and drop your stuff off). Again, as compared to tailgating on asphalt, that is a no-brainer to me.

Also, are you saying that entire field is going to be under construction for the fall? That is a giant area. There have been small portions of that area roped off for construction over the years, but never more than 10-15% at a time.
I am not familiar with that lot, but from what I have heard, it's all gone now. Maybe it's just the area nearest to the parking deck, but I guess you won't know that until September, unless you go to Fan Day or know someone who is.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I guess I just have different experiences from you guys. My group is regularly 4 hours early to games (at least when they aren't at noon) and there are always lots of folks around us and even before us. Obviously not "The Grove," but I consider Tech tailgates superior to either Falcons or United. Just my opinion.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am not familiar with that lot, but from what I have heard, it's all gone now. Maybe it's just the area nearest to the parking deck, but I guess you won't know that until September, unless you go to Fan Day or know someone who is.

You may be right that the student center lot season parking passes are sold out. That field is popular. I usually park in the Student Rec Center parking lot and never pay in advance. But you can pull your car right up to the field and unload (20 yards from where we tailgate), then park after unloading. Works perfectly even with tent, grill, chairs, etc.

(Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this. Don't steal our spot! Lol)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I guess I just have different experiences from you guys. My group is regularly 4 hours early to games (at least when they aren't at noon) and there are always lots of folks around us and even before us. Obviously not "The Grove," but I consider Tech tailgates superior to either Falcons or United. Just my opinion.

I guess I'm thinking on the lines of bears and packers tailgating. You're out there as the sun rises. Cook up a brisket on the smoker. Have a 50in tv with all the games on. Cornhole, tossing the football, tons of beer and appetizers.

I miss that. Notre Dame did it pretty well when we went up there.
Steelers fans do well in parking lots. Wish we could explore that.

I wish GT bought a section to reserve as "the grove" type area. Say size of a football field and have supplied outlets. Pay 30 to park and its dedicated tailgating. Everyone mingles, have tournaments of games and food contests.

You may be right that the student center lot season parking passes are sold out. That field is popular. I usually park in the Student Rec Center parking lot and never pay in advance. But you can pull your car right up to the field and unload (20 yards from where we tailgate), then park after unloading. Works perfectly even with tent, grill, chairs, etc.

(Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this. Don't steal our spot! Lol)
Don't worry; I park on the east side of the interstate. All I can say is that construction is going on everywhere on and around campus, and parking availability will be WAY DOWN this year, so be prepared for anything.

I guess I'm thinking on the lines of bears and packers tailgating. You're out there as the sun rises. Cook up a brisket on the smoker. Have a 50in tv with all the games on. Cornhole, tossing the football, tons of beer and appetizers.

I miss that. Notre Dame did it pretty well when we went up there.
Steelers fans do well in parking lots. Wish we could explore that.

I wish GT bought a section to reserve as "the grove" type area. Say size of a football field and have supplied outlets. Pay 30 to park and its dedicated tailgating. Everyone mingles, have tournaments of games and food contests.
ND, Clemson, Ole Miss, and many other rural schools (maybe not the cesspool though) have PLENTY of fields and open areas in and around campus for organized tailgating. Tech has never had that luxury and obviously never will.