Gameday Question ?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
ND, Clemson, Ole Miss, and many other rural schools (maybe not the cesspool though) have PLENTY of fields and open areas in and around campus for organized tailgating. Tech has never had that luxury and obviously never will.

I wish they would buy an area and provide it for their fans. Make it an awesome area. Not trying make it GT ran, just provide a simple area/field, charge 30 dollars to park. Make it the tailgating hive. I'm sure it would cost around a million or so, but man would it be embraced. I'd be there every game. Just may have to tear down some old buildings

I wish they would buy an area and provide it for their fans. Make it an awesome area. Not trying make it GT ran, just provide a simple area/field, charge 30 dollars to park. Make it the tailgating hive. I'm sure it would cost around a million or so, but man would it be embraced. I'd be there every game. Just may have to tear down some old buildings
Not sure there's any land like that available in the midtown now.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t the lot straight across the street from the stadium on North Ave open? Caddy corner from Brown Hall. There used to be a tall apartment home there maybe for the elderly.
I just looked at it in google earth. There’s a big green space with cars parked there. Not sure who owns it.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I am familiar with across North Ave is the old Y. And even if there is a lot there, it would cost millions of dollars, unless Tech already owns it.
Like I said it would be an investment in the fans. Not looking to make a decent return if any on it. But would be a legacy place for all tailgating to be.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
While looking at google earth(which has 3D now which is bad ***!), I saw couch park aka “burger bowl”. Why not set up something there and run shuttles? Allow parking right on the field. Pay 40 bucks and it includes a shuttle. Use stingerettes to shuttle back and forth.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
While looking at google earth(which has 3D now which is bad ***!), I saw couch park aka “burger bowl”. Why not set up something there and run shuttles? Allow parking right on the field. Pay 40 bucks and it includes a shuttle. Use stingerettes to shuttle back and forth.
THISSSSS. I saw it, but wasn't sure what its use is for.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at it in google earth. There’s a big green space with cars parked there. Not sure who owns it.

There are fences around two areas there. Georgia Tech Facilities owns the smaller section at the corner (1.4 Acres). The company that built the townhomes there owns the larger lot to the South and West of the smaller lot.

EDIT: I just saw your post about "burger bowl". The townhome company owns that part.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There are fences around two areas there. Georgia Tech Facilities owns the smaller section at the corner (1.4 Acres). The company that built the townhomes there owns the larger lot to the South and West of the smaller lot.

EDIT: I just saw your post about "burger bowl". The townhome company owns that part.
EDIT2: The smaller fenced in lot with the cars is owned by GT. The larger "bowl" area is owned by the townhome company.

https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/A...eID=8153&Q=927256230&KeyValue=14+007900020096

Animal02

Banned
ND, Clemson, Ole Miss, and many other rural schools (maybe not the cesspool though) have PLENTY of fields and open areas in and around campus for organized tailgating. Tech has never had that luxury and obviously never will.
Once upon a time, there was lots of green space west of the student center.....as well as big flat parking lots on both sides of the architecture building. I think the biggest mistake Tech has made is infilling instead of expanding more across 10th Street. Several decades ago, that land was relatively cheap.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Haha. Yeah. The burger bowl is over on west campus. Down the hill from the athletic fields. I think it’s used for intramural and maybe some club teams. It would work but how many people would utilize it if they did set it up?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The following map shows some highlighted large green spaces where you can regularly find tons of people tailgating for hours before the game. The one closest to the stadium is where the commercial tailgating guys are set up. I would be shocked if there was a better urban campus tailgating environment than Tech. All you Yankees can stay east of the highway in your parking lots! lol ; )

67314730_10110307623052620_8648183840411484160_n.jpg

The following map shows some highlighted large green spaces where you can regularly find tons of people tailgating for hours before the game. The one closest to the stadium is where the commercial tailgating guys are set up. I would be shocked if there was a better urban campus tailgating environment than Tech. All you Yankees can stay east of the highway in your parking lots! lol ; )

I am definitely not a Yankee. I just prefer the east side, because I sit on the east side of the stadium.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

But how far of a trek is it to the lawns from parking? I have roughly 200+lbs of equipment including a generator I'd bring....

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Sorry to disappoint you.....

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2019/03/12/prep-work-coming-campus-center-project

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I LOVE GEORGIA TECH. But as for "tailgating experience" on the Flats... it has to way down in the rankings in all CFB. It's too bad but just a function of location (urban environment). I have no good recommendations to improve it either.

I tailgated at Ole Miss once and the Grove is without peer in terms of tailgating. Tech could easily do this by returning Peters Park to a green space and closing Fowler Street and making it a pedestrian walk.

I’m teaching at Auburn this year and they did something similar. Closed all the streets to motor vehicles and created zones for food trucks, tents, etc. It’s pretty awesome.