Gameday Question ?

philim01

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum and basically wanted to join up to solicit for advice. I will be attending my first game this year. The UNC game on 10/5. I live out of state and recently some family of mine moved down to the ATL region- so I see my self attending a lot more games in future. My question is.... Where would I and 3 other buddies look to tailgate? Are there areas where I could pay a fee and possibly enjoy all the tail gating festivities(grilling, cornhole, adult beverages) basically hoping I don’t have to pack all kinds of gear and I can just show up and enjoy myself. I’m 45 years old and will be traveling with guys my same age. Open to any type of tailgate. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Mike P

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum and basically wanted to join up to solicit for advice. I will be attending my first game this year. The UNC game on 10/5. I live out of state and recently some family of mine moved down to the ATL region- so I see my self attending a lot more games in future. My question is.... Where would I and 3 other buddies look to tailgate? Are there areas where I could pay a fee and possibly enjoy all the tail gating festivities(grilling, cornhole, adult beverages) basically hoping I don’t have to pack all kinds of gear and I can just show up and enjoy myself. I’m 45 years old and will be traveling with guys my same age. Open to any type of tailgate. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Mike P

Hey Mike!

As the city continues to reduce in open lots I have moved yearly to different lots.

Last year I parked in the lot just north of the Varsity. Its roughly 20-40 dollars a game depending on who we play.

We have our canopy, alcohol, tunes, cornhole, and some kind of food. We usually arrive around 8-830 for noon games. Night games we try and get there around 3pm. Usually just me and the wife, but more are always welcome!

Hello All,
Mike P
Since many of the lots formerly used for tailgating have now been closed due to construction, tailgating may be a problem this year. IIRC, Tech offers a large tailgating area where vendors provide food and drink it the distance from where fans park is too far to bring their own materials. Others can hopefully give you more info about that, or other accessible lots where tailgating is allowed.

Hey Mike!

As the city continues to reduce in open lots I have moved yearly to different lots.

Last year I parked in the lot just north of the Varsity. Its roughly 20-40 dollars a game depending on who we play.

We have our canopy, alcohol, tunes, cornhole, and some kind of food. We usually arrive around 8-830 for noon games. Night games we try and get there around 3pm. Usually just me and the wife, but more are always welcome!
Did you have to relocate again this year? I looked into the lot you mention, which, until 2 years ago, was run by Tech, but they didn't provide either a season parking pass, nor advance purchase of passes. I used SpotHero to find a lot on 3rd or 4th St between P'Tree and W P'Tree, and I was able to advance purchase passes for individual games. Most weeks, it's only $5.00 for 12 hours parking (adjustable times after game times are announced), and one week (probably Dragon Con week) costing $21.00. It's not a large lot, but that's where my group is planning on tailgating. I sure hope it works out ok for us.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been away for over 2 years now, but my group always like the Student Center lot. Easy access to the Tech Green. Lots of people bring their tents, cornhole boards, grilles, etc. It's a little bit of a hike if you have little ones, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you.

I've been away for over 2 years now, but my group always like the Student Center lot. Easy access to the Tech Green. Lots of people bring their tents, cornhole boards, grilles, etc. It's a little bit of a hike if you have little ones, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you.
From what I hear, parking is still offered there, but tailgating is not because of construction going on in what was the tailgate area.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Did you have to relocate again this year? I looked into the lot you mention, which, until 2 years ago, was run by Tech, but they didn't provide either a season parking pass, nor advance purchase of passes. I used SpotHero to find a lot on 3rd or 4th St between P'Tree and W P'Tree, and I was able to advance purchase passes for individual games. Most weeks, it's only $5.00 for 12 hours parking (adjustable times after game times are announced), and one week (probably Dragon Con week) costing $21.00. It's not a large lot, but that's where my group is planning on tailgating. I sure hope it works out ok for us.

I haven't checked for this year yet. But its basically the varsity parking lot, they just divide it into 2 sections. The varsity does one part and there is a squared off area in the same lot. We park there. It's all accessible in the same area. Just roped off and usually 5-10 cheaper than the varsity, even though they are the same lot haha

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If you are coming up spring street it's on the right. Right after the Concentra urgent care building. In between the varsity and the concentra building. Like I said it looks like it's all parking for the varsity but come gameday they split it up and the varsity section is oddly more expensive.
Screenshot_20190729-102920_Maps.jpg

I haven't checked for this year yet. But its basically the varsity parking lot, they just divide it into 2 sections. The varsity does one part and there is a squared off area in the same lot. We park there. It's all accessible in the same area. Just roped off and usually 5-10 cheaper than the varsity, even though they are the same lot haha
Yeah, I used to park in that lot when Tech ran it. But when whoever runs it now bought out the contract, I moved across Spring to the big lot there. Unfortunately, it has been closed now due to construction. I don't like to wait till game day to get a pass, and that's why I went ahead and bought passes for the lot between P'Tree and W P'Tree. It's a small lot in area, but easy in and out not much further away than I was last year.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I used to park in that lot when Tech ran it. But when whoever runs it now bought out the contract, I moved across Spring to the big lot there. Unfortunately, it has been closed now due to construction. I don't like to wait till game day to get a pass, and that's why I went ahead and bought passes for the lot between P'Tree and W P'Tree. It's a small lot in area, but easy in and out not much further away than I was last year.

Oh dang! Could you share? If you don't mind. We don't mind a little more of a trek if the price is that much of a difference and we can tailgate!

philim01

Georgia Tech Fan

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Great question! I’m also coming back for the UNC game. The guys coming with were asking where can we drink/tailgate? I was kinda at a loss too. Planned on just hitting a bar pregame.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So the lot you use is basically attached to another lot/same that offers food and drink for purchase, is that correct?
Not sure if the varsity offers anything different from going inside to eat. But this is just a normal lot that's right next to the tunnel.

philim01

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok. Thx for intel. I know when I’ve traveled to other schools to watch games there’s sometimes an area where there’s food trucks, large grills and beer garden type of atmosphere where fans can purchase-for those who don’t pack grills and coolers-( which will be my scenario since I’m just flying in for weekend).