Gameday Experience And More

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I guess we are venturing into the “and more”
part of the thread with the legacy conversation.

Back to the topic. I don’t like losing the whistle. Did they still do the “ohhhhhhhhhhj First and 10, Geeeeeeeorgia Tech!” Bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Legacies can pound sand. They're not any better than anyone just because Daddy went to Tech 30 years ago.

The he|| you say! The mere fact they are spawned from the loins of a Tech Man or Tech Woman grants superiority to 99% of the people out there. The only thing required of a legacy on the application should be there name and then seal it with wax from their parents signet T ring.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I sit in the upper east, and I didn't have that problem.

Well good for you and the other 5 people up there. The lower east was packed and it was a MAJOR problem. The location of it wasn't the problem (although most people didn't know it was there) it was that at the start of the 3rd quarter, they emptied it! In the north lower concourse they had a constant water flow into it for the entire game. Just poor planning and even worse execution.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And why do we constantly have horrible audio for the stadium?
Is this due to age of the system or what? It just comes off as highly embarrassing that an engineering school can't have quality sound during it's most visible moments.
I really was hoping that the Benz Stadium deal was for a full year of home games to be played there so the stadium could go through a complete facelift over the course of 20 months.
Before yall jump on me about how it takes money, I do give annually to the GTAA and AI2020....do you?

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Money down does sound corny as hell on the PA, but if the players like it, whatever.

I don’t know why they would get rid of the steam whistle for TDs at least. I can’t imagine that it would be a negative for anyone. Getting rid of the video board steam whistle for every first down is fine with me, but I don’t see any advantage to killing the original tradition.

The wreck coming out in advance of the team seemed less climactic than the team immediately following. I am glad they got rid of the big paper thing that they used to run through.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not hear to complain about the football team and their play. I just want to express as a fan how disappointed I was with the production of the in game experience.

1. I know technical issues arise but having Randy Rhino's mic cut in and out is inexcusable for a tech school. Mic checks should have been performed in advance.
2. One of the speakers in the speaker system started to go out in the middle of the second quarter. I get that this could happen but yet another thing that should be tested and checked beforehand. This lead to a awkward since with no music but until the band started playing the same boring songs from 10 years ago. (Band keep the classics and space chords on third down but please try and branch out and play something new)
3. Music selection was much better in the game. No Vanessa Carlton. But the coordination between the PA and the band was terrible.
4. Having the players not run out RIGHT BEHIND the wreck like they've done for 50 years instead of having that awkward delay. I get that there's smoke and music in the tunnel now but there should be no delay. As for not driving through a banner. I'm ok with that. I always felt that it was a little high schoolish anyway. Plus it left the banner on the front of the car. Just make it a reusable banner with velcro.

These plus other little things (no steam whistle,terrible band uniforms) were an embarrassing distractions in my opinion of the overall production of this game. I get that its the first game of the year but these things should be rehearsed. As a FAN I care about these things. Tech should purse EXCELLENCE in there production and for tech school that shouldn't be too hard. I felt this game vary disappointed and if I was a visitor, I probably wouldn't come back. Hopefully Tech can fix these issues before the next game.

I'm not hear to complain about the football team and their play. I just want to express as a fan how disappointed I was with the production of the in game experience.

1. I know technical issues arise but having Randy Rhino's mic cut in and out is inexcusable for a tech school. Mic checks should have been performed in advance.
2. One of the speakers in the speaker system started to go out in the middle of the second quarter. I get that this could happen but yet another thing that should be tested and checked beforehand. This lead to a awkward since with no music but until the band started playing the same boring songs from 10 years ago. (Band keep the classics and space chords on third down but please try and branch out and play something new)
3. Music selection was much better in the game. No Vanessa Carlton. But the coordination between the PA and the band was terrible.
4. Having the players not run out RIGHT BEHIND the wreck like they've done for 50 years instead of having that awkward delay. I get that there's smoke and music in the tunnel now but there should be no delay. As for not driving through a banner. I'm ok with that. I always felt that it was a little high schoolish anyway. Plus it left the banner on the front of the car. Just make it a reusable banner with velcro.

These plus other little things (no steam whistle,terrible band uniforms) were an embarrassing distractions in my opinion of the overall production of this game. I get that its the first game of the year but these things should be rehearsed. As a FAN I care about these things. Tech should purse EXCELLENCE in there production and for tech school that shouldn't be too hard. I felt this game vary disappointed and if I was a visitor, I probably wouldn't come back. Hopefully Tech can fix these issues before the next game.
I had forgotten about the Randy Rhino fiasco. That was embarrassing.
If you had to wear a band uniform for 4+ hours, you might think differently about them. Other than close up views, I really couldn't tell they had on short sleeve jackets, so I thought they looked fine.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Why can't we sound check our microphones before Randy Rhino asks what the good word is? That is embarrassing.

Its a giant conspiracy of 'nad licker appeasers from the Tower.

Oh, and the wreck followed by a wait followed by the team seemed pretty low energy to me.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
The band unis remind me of theme song to Flash Gordon: “Flash, ahhhh, savior of the universe...”. That being said, not an issue for me if they are more comfortable, go for it.

Money down might be cool if (1) it wasn’t a cheesy announcer yelling it like an 70 yr old trying to quote snoop dog, and/or (2) it was fan led...when the announcer says 3rd down, then students/crowd start chanting “money down, money down” over and over again. It would be more engaging and potentially noisier like a kickoff. Currently, it feels like we doing anything to force a colloquial term used in our branding. Maybe he should say “This MONEY DOWN is brought to you by Georgia’s Own Credit Union”. At least we can make $ on it.

The missing cartoon whistle doesn’t concern me because....I like the Reck more than our cartoonish Buzz (I know, probably skewer me for that but I remember pre-Buzz days...maybe if Buzz was more ominous looking). So I am ok without cartoons. Given my love of the Reck, they should run out behind the Reck out of respect for some in-stone traditions.

Lastly....put the Rats back on the field (pipe dream but heck, why not dream of rats in the T shape). Nothing beat that chant of “RATS on FIELD”.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Money down might be cool if (1) it wasn’t a cheesy announcer yelling it like an 70 yr old trying to quote snoop dog, and/or (2) it was fan led...when the announcer says 3rd down, then students/crowd start chanting “money down, money down” over and over again. It would be more engaging and potentially noisier like a kickoff. Currently, it feels like we doing anything to force a colloquial term used in our branding. Maybe he should say “This MONEY DOWN is brought to you by Georgia’s Own Credit Union”. At least we can make $ on it.

Lol. I think a lot of the ideas coming out of the AA and football staff seem to miss the point that game day atmosphere is something fans participate in, not something they passively receive. That does require acknowledging that you aren't 100% in control, though. Maybe some RATs on the field would help them learn that lesson.

The missing cartoon whistle doesn’t concern me because....I like the Reck more than our cartoonish Buzz (I know, probably skewer me for that but I remember pre-Buzz days...maybe if Buzz was more ominous looking). So I am ok without cartoons. Given my love of the Reck, they should run out behind the Reck out of respect for some in-stone traditions.

Lastly....put the Rats back on the field (pipe dream but heck, why not dream of rats in the T shape). Nothing beat that chant of “RATS on FIELD”.

Lagging behind the reck makes you look lazy. Keep up!

And the only whistle they should be blowing is the real steam whistle. No canned bs.

The band unis remind me of theme song to Flash Gordon: “Flash, ahhhh, savior of the universe...”. That being said, not an issue for me if they are more comfortable, go for it.

Once the 'Reck has led the team on the field, they park it. Do you think there are other uses they could make of it during the game? I doubt it, and that's why we need Buzz.
Dream on about the rats on the field. Aside from the band, and maybe a few fraternities, rats are a thing of the past.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
The he|| you say! The mere fact they are spawned from the loins of a Tech Man or Tech Woman grants superiority to 99% of the people out there. The only thing required of a legacy on the application should be there name and then seal it with wax from their parents signet T ring.
I hope this was tic. If not. We wonder why we struggle with sidewalk fans.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Once the 'Reck has led the team on the field, they park it. Do you think there are other uses they could make of it during the game? I doubt it, and that's why we need Buzz.
Dream on about the rats on the field. Aside from the band, and maybe a few fraternities, rats are a thing of the past.

I agree, on all fronts. I just love Reck more than Buzz. Rats on field was eliminated after the frosh beat the crap out of the Auburn mascot (I think it was Auburn). It is a highly missed tradition but in today’s world, they would get sued for calling anyone a rat.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree, on all fronts. I just love Reck more than Buzz. Rats on field was eliminated after the frosh beat the crap out of the Auburn mascot (I think it was Auburn). It is a highly missed tradition but in today’s world, they would get sued for calling anyone a rat.
I think it’s some k8nd if NCAA rule about students on the field pregame

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well good for you and the other 5 people up there. The lower east was packed and it was a MAJOR problem. The location of it wasn't the problem (although most people didn't know it was there) it was that at the start of the 3rd quarter, they emptied it! In the north lower concourse they had a constant water flow into it for the entire game. Just poor planning and even worse execution.

I know space is an issue because of the street (which should have been resolved as a problem 70 years ago ), but the lower East concession area is a freaking disgrace. Had to be designed by inmates at the yerkes primate center.