Gameday Experience And More

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
DID anyone see BUZZ at usf?

I know he didn't run out and do hus "lovable flip on his axx at mid field and then run into the goal posts"?
I think that is stupid but the kids all around are loving it.
One can hope.

Now that you mentioned it, I do not recall seeing Buzz. Please don't get rid of Buzz. That would be a real Buzzkill. Pun intended

I did see Bobby Cremins sitting in the East Upper deck. He looks great and enjoyed all the attention.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
One big gripe I have about the gameday experience is the PA announcer telling everybody who wants a shirt to stand up and make some noise, and then the only sections they throw shirts out in are the student sections. Why not periodically send some shirt-throwers into the upper decks or to various other sections in the lower deck?

Yes! I noticed this as well. What was the point of this exactly? The 2-3 times they threw shirts, as far as I could tell they all went to the same seating areas.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
He crowd surfed in the student section one time and “conducted “ the Budweiser song. I don’t remember seeing any other time. However, I am in the cheap seats in the upper north.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Because the average age of our fanbase is about 150
Is that the old fans fault or the young fans?
There are a lot more people graduating from Tech today than even when I went in the mid-80s. All of this continual criticism of the older, dedicated fans is pathetic and sad. If most of our fan base is old, then shame on the young Tech grads, not the old ones. Maybe what we really need is better young fans, ya think?

There are a lot more people graduating from Tech today than even when I went in the mid-80s. All of this continual criticism of the older, dedicated fans is pathetic and sad. If most of our fan base is old, then shame on the young Tech grads, not the old ones. Maybe what we really need is better young fans, ya think?
AMEN !!!!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well , i must have been looking at the dancers - cause buzz is in video i took of the players coming on to grant field.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is very true, and this fact is why we’re fighting a losing battle. The vast majority of money spending fans have some sort of direct relationship with the university they are a fan of. Whether it be they are an alumni themselves, or they have parents/siblings/children that attended the university. As Tech becomes more and more elite in academics, athletics support will continue to fall. Tech admits close to double the amount of foreign born and out of state students as UGA, and a lot of those either don’t care about sports, or are already fans of other teams. Plus it’s not like Tech has been good enough in recent years to sway any of their fandom.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is very true, and this fact is why we’re fighting a losing battle. The vast majority of money spending fans have some sort of direct relationship with the university they are a fan of. Whether it be they are an alumni themselves, or they have parents/siblings/children that attended the university. As Tech becomes more and more elite in academics, athletics support will continue to fall. Tech admits close to double the amount of foreign born and out of state students as UGA, and a lot of those either don’t care about sports, or are already fans of other teams. Plus it’s not like Tech has been good enough in recent years to sway any of their fandom.

Hard to say. For example, only 40% of Alabama students are from Alabama.

The gift many of these schools have is marriage. Students meet, get married, go to games, raise their kids to be legacy students.

Only now does Tech have the ratio to make this work. If they want it too.

GTFLETCH

Banned
One big gripe I have about the gameday experience is the PA announcer telling everybody who wants a shirt to stand up and make some noise, and then the only sections they throw shirts out in are the student sections. Why not periodically send some shirt-throwers into the upper decks or to various other sections in the lower deck?
That would take coordination...Currently all coordination is being used by DP on which of the three QBs can run whatever scheme he is going to go with...LOL

Animal02

Banned

The gift many of these schools have is marriage. Students meet, get married, go to games, raise their kids to be legacy students.

From reading posts here......Tech discourages Legacies except through the back door.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Alabama also has struggled filling its student section and keeping students in the stadium until the end of games, even for prime time games. Saban actually commented on it after their game Saturday and said they needed students to show up and be loud if they wanted to continue to be elite.

Alabama just has the benefit of being the most dominant program in the history of the sport, and has plenty of sidewalk fans to make up for lack of student support. Tech doesn’t have that luxury, at least not now. It probably could have at some point, but with so many other big successful programs in the area, Tech just becomes invisible. Especially because Tech hasn’t been on the national stage consistently in any of the big 3 sports for the past 2 decades. Vandy, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Virginia, Miss St to an extent, all compete for national titles in either basketball or baseball to keep them relevant nationally.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Alabama also has struggled filling its student section and keeping students in the stadium until the end of games, even for prime time games. Saban actually commented on it after their game Saturday and said they needed students to show up and be loud if they wanted to continue to be elite.

Alabama just has the benefit of being the most dominant program in the history of the sport, and has plenty of sidewalk fans to make up for lack of student support. Tech doesn’t have that luxury, at least not now. It probably could have at some point, but with so many other big successful programs in the area, Tech just becomes invisible. Especially because Tech hasn’t been on the national stage consistently in any of the big 3 sports for the past 2 decades. Vandy, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Virginia, Miss St to an extent, all compete for national titles in either basketball or baseball to keep them relevant nationally.

Funny you mention that. I heard Alabama is implementing a point system for students. If you don’t show up, you won’t get tix for the key conference games.

I agree that Tech has not helped its cause. Hopefully, that’s changing.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
<rant>I'm fine with Money Down, Waffle House Return, whatever. Let's just please get another announcer. There's not a lot of difference between MONEY DOWN! and THIIIIIRRRRRDD DOOOOWNNNNN! They both sound stupid and annoying coming from that guy. Has for years. World Wide Wrestling reject, at best. </rant>

And I agree, we should focus more on football and less on meaningless rants. This is not the place for that stuff!

Although truth-be-known, the ex-football players on here would do well to listen to my football wisdom. I played quarterback in pee-wee and in middle school.
1000000% agreed

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
<rant>I'm fine with Money Down, Waffle House Return, whatever. Let's just please get another announcer. There's not a lot of difference between MONEY DOWN! and THIIIIIRRRRRDD DOOOOWNNNNN! They both sound stupid and annoying coming from that guy. Has for years. World Wide Wrestling reject, at best. </rant>

And I agree, we should focus more on football and less on meaningless rants. This is not the place for that stuff!

Although truth-be-known, the ex-football players on here would do well to listen to my football wisdom. I played quarterback in pee-wee and in middle school.
1000000% agreed