Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that he thinks he can shoot because he has made a handful before.

He had license to launch all through high school. Had 6'4" guys guarding him and he would float. So it is ingrained. ESPN is right they need to go back to the end of last year when they did run some double post action or only threw it to him when he was cutting from the wing/corner

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I put it on Pastner, it’s a square peg/round hole situation. When you see Moses succeed within 6’ consistently and fail on the perimeter, and you continue to put him on the perimeter, you need to either change the scheme or change your personnel.

also, Moses just has to pass it up. It’s not a problem if you can’t shoot. It’s a problem when you know you can’t shoot and continue to do so.

Agree with all this. But now can you explain Cole's strange hook shots into oblivion?

Like, is he trying to pass the ball to himself to get a rebound/putback on those?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another thought today. As frustrating as last fall was recruiting wise, i'm pretty happy we ended up with Price and not Lawson or Watson.

Lawson's numbers are very similar to Price and Watson hasn't played yet as he was suspended from the team after being accused of rape by a OSU student. The DA's office decided not to press charges but Watson could still be subject to a Title IX investigation and is currently suspended from all team activities.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Has he been any good for them? Context clues are telling me he hasn't but I figured I'd ask.
He fouled out in 12 minutes of play against WCU, so safe to say the jury's still out. But picking up a foul every 2.5 minutes is something I could see Moses doing, so I guess the comparison is fair?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I just got back. I think my eyes are going to be hurting for a week after watching that display of basketball.

Those who are more knowledgable than I please help me understand what I just saw. From my perspective, there was just SO much bad stuff out there....
  1. apparently nobody on our team besides Devoe and Jose can get the ball inside to Banks. With Jose out, that made our ability to penetrate a zone solely dependent on one guy. To me, ACC teams are going to look at that and absolutely feast on us!
  2. 7-24 from three. That's 29%. Elon wasn't exactly defending the three point line as far as I could tell, so we can shoot 29% uncontested. That's not going to break apart many zones. Guys with reputations as good outside shooters shot blanks tonight...Parham was 1-4, Price was 1-6.
  3. Moses should never, EVER shoot a three pointer again. This year.
  4. 17 turnovers. Nasty! We looked out of control all night long on our fast breaks. We never really looked fluid. Many, many sloppy TO's.
  5. Was it my imagination, or were some guys out there trying to make the spectacular play instead of just playing solid, fundamental basketball?
All in all, after being excited by the N C State game, this was a huge let-down for me.

Please, Swarm members who know more about basketball than I do, help me regain some perspective. Tell me why there is hope after watching this performance!
Was at the game also, and pretty much agree with your take. It looked as though Tech just wanted to run & gun and try to score 50 in the first half with a showtime offense.Moses is still a liability with his offense!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Amen. It is hard to blame Moses for shooting 3s and dribbling in space when he is put in that position by design. Hopefully someone will dig up the tapes of the last dozen or so games from last year and remember what we did then.
The second half of the NCSU game was much better for him. We got the ball to him on the inside or moving towards the basket. That should be his role in the offense along with rebounding/putbacks

alagold

Helluva Engineer
THe one guy fewpeople are mentioning is K.Moore.He has put up of stats in every category -pts,rebs,assts,steals--in both games.He maybe the glue for the team that goes unnoticed.

btw--did they really get 13 Off rebs? wow

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
THe one guy fewpeople are mentioning is K.Moore.He has put up of stats in every category -pts,rebs,assts,steals--in both games.He maybe the glue for the team that goes unnoticed.

btw--did they really get 13 Off rebs? wow

They got 15 Off rebounds off of 58 missed shots for ~25.8%. Not good, but last year that would have been about 150th out of 350 teams in opp. off reb. %. Basically a poor showing but made to look worse because they had such a high volume of missed shots.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
A few really pretty plays I haven't seen mentioned yet...
1. Devoe drove to the basket with one defender swinging low and another high and made the layup look simple...very confident they were no threat.
2. Sheffield had positioned himself between Moore and the ball and was dribbling to run the clock down and take the final shot of the first half. With 13 seconds left, Moore deftly knifed right through him, stole the ball, drove and scored the layup.
3. Asanti Price's dunk. I thought he was going to make a layup but he went up and then whipped the ball up and in with authority! I don't think this kid will be afraid of anybody.
4. A little more than a minute later, Price quickly snatches Poser's pass just a couple of feet right out of his hands and feeds the ball forward to Devoe who drains a 3.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I put it on Pastner, it’s a square peg/round hole situation. When you see Moses succeed within 6’ consistently and fail on the perimeter, and you continue to put him on the perimeter, you need to either change the scheme or change your personnel.

also, Moses just has to pass it up. It’s not a problem if you can’t shoot. It’s a problem when you know you can’t shoot and continue to do so.
If Moses is 6' from the basket the lane is too crowded and our offense doesn't work. If he and James are on the floor together, he has play outside.

Deleted member 2897

Yes the game was a bit ugly. 25-13 at halftime. Then 41-19. Then 52-33. That’s how Virginia plays. Worst part of the game to me was Ken Seguira ****ting on our guys, saying crap like Div III Mars Hill scored a lot more. Games and teams are different from one night to the next. We had double Elon’s score until we put in a bunch of walk-ons in. Why can’t he just say something nice?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes the game was a bit ugly. 25-13 at halftime. Then 41-19. Then 52-33. That’s how Virginia plays. Worst part of the game to me was Ken Seguira ****ting on our guys, saying crap like Div III Mars Hill scored a lot more. Games and teams are different from one night to the next. We had double Elon’s score until we put in a bunch of walk-ons in. Why can’t he just say something nice?
It's not his job to say nice things about GT. It's his job to accurately report the game story. I think he does a decent job of that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Why are you reading anything Ken writes?

Deleted member 2897

It's not his job to say nice things about GT. It's his job to accurately report the game story. I think he does a decent job of that.

It was definitely 25-13. And it was 41-19. And then 52-33. So yep those were the facts. We should all be so spoiled that he found a way to put a negative spin on a smack down.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Don't read the nonsense that idiot spews. He doesn't understand the sports he covers. He writes the same stuff you read from the dumb message board posters.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, but that's not what we're doing. I think he is enough of an asset on defense and rebounding that staff is willing to tolerate offensive deficiencies.

I don't think this is what you mean but picking at your words - they shouldn't simply "tolerate offensive deficiencies" - They should be looking to maximize what he can do offensively within the context of the other 4 guys out there. I really don't think parking him in the corner and allowing him to float the 3 point line does that. Defenders simply ignore him and he makes mistakes with the ball that far from the basket. He has strengths within 15-18 feet from the basket and there are ways he can work with Banks in that space.

There would also be the opportunity to have 2 bigs setting screens for the wings to get them open which is something IMHO we don't do nearly enough of.