Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I always thought he misused Thaddeus Young as well. He count have dominated at the 4 but Hewitt played him on the wing because that was going to be his position in the NBA.
Thaddeus Young has had a great journeyman career making a lot of money... as a stretch 4. I'd say you were correct in your thinking.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I always thought he misused Thaddeus Young as well. He count have dominated at the 4 but Hewitt played him on the wing because that was going to be his position in the NBA.
But don't you know that Hewitt believed his responsibility was to the player to help develop him for the NBA, even if it meant the team W-L record suffered.

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan
But don't you know that Hewitt believed his responsibility was to the player to help develop him for the NBA, even if it meant the team W-L record suffered.
Believe me I know. It was a source of great frustration. He could bring in talent but couldn’t do much with it, especially in the last 5 years.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
While I largely agree with your point, there’s an alternate history where Young goes somewhere other than GT because Hewitt didn’t promise to focus on developing his basket-facing game. There’s really no way to know how much of Hewitt’s later stage recruiting success was due to his willingness to focus on preparation for the next level. It is possible that he could have been a more successful coach by “settling” for other recruits, but who knows.

I think someone, maybe MtnWasp, has argued that there was a middle way where Young played the 3 for parts of the game, but when needed shifted to the 4. Again, subject to successful recruitment and other sliding doors moments.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not 100% sure Hewitt was wrong. Should the EE dean have the school as a priority over his students?
Of course, coaches are paid significantly more than Deans and professors at least in part because their job is to provide a successful entertainment product as well as training and development of students. If you were hiring to provide a professional training program only, the salary would be significantly lower I bet.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Not for nothing...... we beat Elon 64-41 and UNC struggled against them last night. Elon led at the half 33-32 before the Holes started the second half on 21-5 run to create a margin.

Cole Anthony is the real deal. Honestly, I'm not sure the supporting cast has figured out roles and how to play together. Bacot and Brooks looked better in second half last night, but that's against a squad with one rotation player at 6'8". Will be interesting to see if Ol Roy can get this team to perform at Top 5 level or if they are destined to be more like a 15 - 25 squad