Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Asanti is more athletic than I thought he would be - I'm glad he got substantial minutes tonight. From my vantage point (Section 111), a few of his 3 pt attempts looked a little flat. But his stroke was much better in warm ups - could have been he was rushing the shot or was tired and using a lot of upper body.

James is noticeably better conditioned than he was last year. This is really going to help defensively late in games, particularly with him avoiding committing lazy fouls. Very impressed with his offseason work (save the jumper).

Devoe continues to be the most consistent piece offensively for us. I agree with someone who said they're okay with his 6 TO's - a few of those were him trying to make something out of nothing or a flashy play, and right or wrong, I attribute some of that to the opponent. I doubt he makes those kinds of decisions in a tighter, more competitive game.

I think overall the team played relaxed, and maybe a little too relaxed. There was decent energy but very little urgency, if that makes sense. They didn't look sluggish, but I definitely wouldn't call them crisp - and for that I wouldn't downplay the significance of missing Jose. Either way, we'll have to play better to get a win next week in Athens. For the first time this season, we're going to be matched or even superseded athletically.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We're just happy to see you up and at it today. Thoughts and prayers were with you last night after the ... incident with the slammed drawer.

watching that kid play basketball is one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever seen on the court....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
watching that kid play basketball is one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever seen on the court....

He needs to find a basketball role model of sorts. Someone to model himself after. Because he doesn't know what to do with himself. Maybe that would help.

Then again, right now it looks like he's modeling himself after Steph Curry. Yikes.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose walked up to a family sitting near me last night and told them he'd be fine. He seemed upbeat so I'm fairly confident he'll be back - hopefully at full strength - for the UGA game.

Deleted member 2897

He needs to find a basketball role model of sorts. Someone to model himself after. Because he doesn't know what to do with himself. Maybe that would help.

Then again, right now it looks like he's modeling himself after Steph Curry. Yikes.

How about Dennis Rodman? Get all the rebounds you can and play elite defense, but know you're not the guy to take shots, so outside of a 2-foot putback you're kicking the ball out to someone else. A stat line like Rodman's with 15 rebounds and 1/3 from the floor max is just fine. :D

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How about Dennis Rodman? Get all the rebounds you can and play elite defense, but know you're not the guy to take shots, so outside of a 2-foot putback you're kicking the ball out to someone else. A stat line like Rodman's with 15 rebounds and 1/3 from the floor max is just fine. :D
There are not many Rodman types around. I especially liked the blonde hair.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
... and I mentioned in chat, you ain't foolin' nobody, Moses. Takes the ball at the 3pt line and fakes looking for a pass until the clock runs short, then jaks a horrible shot. Does it all the time. Then looks around like, "I had to shoot it ... the clock?"

Can't fool me, Moses.

I wasn't able to watch the game so I'm just talking more in general, but too many times our guards seem content just to sit and watch Moses do just that instead of working hard to go get the ball. Anytime Moses (or Banks for that matter) gets the ball outside the 3 point line Alvarado, Devoe, and Parham need one of those tornado sirens going off in their head that a disaster is about to happen and go try and stop it asap.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought the game was an excellent learning experience for Devoe to run the team. Devoe and Parham had 9 turnovers to 2 assists for that game. This will open their eyes and they can go to the tape and learn from it.

Moses needs to get serious about the game. The good news is, when he finds a groove, he is a real handful. But, if he is nt careful, he will be the guy who hits the bench when Usher comes back because I don't see how Pastner takes Kahlid Moore off the court.

Really excited about the play of Khalid Moore and Asanti Price. Both are active and rangy on both ends. Price's shot is quick and pretty. He is assertive. That three point shot he took and made to open overtime against NCSt was big time. Not only is he way more athletic and long than I thought we would be, but his court awareness or IQ is really good. I assumed recrutign last year was a lost cause, but it looks like we might have landed an ACC caliber wing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Or even a guy like Brandon Clarke from Gonzaga. Or Sean Marion, to some degree.

I wasn't able to watch the game so I'm just talking more in general, but too many times our guards seem content just to sit and watch Moses do just that instead of working hard to go get the ball. Anytime Moses (or Banks for that matter) gets the ball outside the 3 point line Alvarado, Devoe, and Parham need one of those tornado sirens going off in their head that a disaster is about to happen and go try and stop it asap.

True but they also need to feed Banks/Moses when they work to get position in the post. Oftentimes it's not there so I understand not forcing it. However, there are many times the pass is available and they settle for not making the pass.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In today's game it is hard to have a 4 and a 5 who don't score from 15 to 18 feet. You have to be really pay attention to spacing and ball movement. UNC is about the only team I can think of that routinely plays a double post and they have started to go away from it - though Roy is kicking and screaming the whole way.

Moses helps make us really good on D - and in general we are. But if we are going to stay with him at the 4 for major minutes we have to find a legit double post approach that keeps him in his range. Otherwise his minutes will start going to Usher or others as scoring becomes a bigger issue.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
But if we are going to stay with him at the 4 for major minutes we have to find a legit double post approach that keeps him in his range. Otherwise his minutes will start going to Usher or others as scoring becomes a bigger issue.

Amen. It is hard to blame Moses for shooting 3s and dribbling in space when he is put in that position by design. Hopefully someone will dig up the tapes of the last dozen or so games from last year and remember what we did then.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I think Parham and Price's shots will come around. Moses shot ...

loss_for_words.gif

... and I mentioned in chat, you ain't foolin' nobody, Moses. Takes the ball at the 3pt line and fakes looking for a pass until the clock runs short, then jaks a horrible shot. Does it all the time. Then looks around like, "I had to shoot it ... the clock?"

Can't fool me, Moses.
lol..spot on!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Moses helps make us really good on D - and in general we are. But if we are going to stay with him at the 4 for major minutes we have to find a legit double post approach that keeps him in his range. Otherwise his minutes will start going to Usher or others as scoring becomes a bigger issue.

IMO our best bet with him would be for him to basically look to set screens (on or off ball) and then dive to the basket. If he gets the ball he dunks it, if not he repeats. Find someone to screen and then go look for a dunk.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What are you gonna do next week when Moses is trading 3s with Christian Brown?

Has he been any good for them? Context clues are telling me he hasn't but I figured I'd ask.

watch two players combine to go 0-the day

But would it be as hilarious as watching you take on dt in a dunk contest?

slam-dunk.gif

Move over '88 Nique v Jordan

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is generally the approach for a 5 in a 4 out set. With Moses he would be rolling right into Banks. Generally double post sets look for high low type actions or at least screening to get the other guy open in range

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Amen. It is hard to blame Moses for shooting 3s and dribbling in space when he is put in that position by design. Hopefully someone will dig up the tapes of the last dozen or so games from last year and remember what we did then.

I put it on Pastner, it’s a square peg/round hole situation. When you see Moses succeed within 6’ consistently and fail on the perimeter, and you continue to put him on the perimeter, you need to either change the scheme or change your personnel.

also, Moses just has to pass it up. It’s not a problem if you can’t shoot. It’s a problem when you know you can’t shoot and continue to do so.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I put it on Pastner, it’s a square peg/round hole situation. When you see Moses succeed within 6’ consistently and fail on the perimeter, and you continue to put him on the perimeter, you need to either change the scheme or change your personnel.

also, Moses just has to pass it up. It’s not a problem if you can’t shoot. It’s a problem when you know you can’t shoot and continue to do so.
The problem is that he thinks he can shoot because he has made a handful before.