Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I’m so happy to have basketball back, and I’m optimistic about the season.

I want to see a little improvement tonight especially in being consistent with our defense intensity (esp close outs on the 3 point line). The scenario that they win is we are sloppy with the ball and slow on covering the 3 point line.

This is a team we should beat easily, and I hope we see a deeper bench in the second half.

/

I think by the metrics I put up before the game, we played well. A bit too sloppy with the ball, but it's only Nov 11th.

Good to see our defense start to show up, I think we have some quickness and some length on the floor. Our D may be nasty as the season progresses.

Good to see some additional players hit the floor at the end.

Bring on uGA. No offense to NC State, but the season starts for real next week.

/

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Can’t take much from this other than we just can’t shoot very well and it doesn’t seem to matter who we play. Scored a bunch in transition and in the paint against NCST and we still couldn’t shoot tonight. Gonna be an issue getting over the 15-17 win hump we’ve been stuck in without someone being able to knock down some outside shots. Devoe is a player but we need a couple other shooters.

Deleted member 2897

People panicking have apparently never followed spots before. We opened with a road win against a conference opponent and then won a game at home against an inferior opponent handily (even with missing our starting PG who is good for like 36 minutes a game).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, we had nearly double Elon’s points the entire game...until we put a bunch of wall-ones in. We should be so lucky that 2x their score is a bad game.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Tired of not making tourney, want to win more than just about all other ills. But really was hoping to see a sustainable identity and attitude. I felt when Alvarado was signed, he was the flashpoint - literally. Moore was the add last year that added more fabric to the culture. I didn’t see Devoe for that role, but he was the most naturally talented of them all. HOWEVER, Devoe is clearly more expressive and animated on the floor and in huddles. His culture leading personality will catch up to his performance this year and next. The player that is the clear court culture addition is Price. I did not understand how strong and instinctual of a defender he is. I’m wildly impressed by him on the floor. If he gets his sea legs - from all the extra D effort to equalize - I think the shot easily catches up. The shooting mechanics are clearly there. Add Usher who is likely to be another critical culture piece and this team will be 40 mins of D hell for any opponent. Next year with Meka and Maxwell - two more that will boost culture, and I think the program and its personality will take the sustainable step. A lot of the pieces coming into play to give Pastner a very good chance of sticking IMO.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Tired of not making tourney, want to win more than just about all other ills. But really was hoping to see a sustainable identity and attitude. I felt when Alvarado was signed, he was the flashpoint - literally. Moore was the add last year that added more fabric to the culture. I didn’t see Devoe for that role, but he was the most naturally talented of them all. HOWEVER, Devoe is clearly more expressive and animated on the floor and in huddles. His culture leading personality will catch up to his performance this year and next. The player that is the clear court culture addition is Price. I did not understand how strong and instinctual of a defender he is. I’m wildly impressed by him on the floor. If he gets his sea legs - from all the extra D effort to equalize - I think the shot easily catches up. The shooting mechanics are clearly there. Add Usher who is likely to be another critical culture piece and this team will be 40 mins of D hell for any opponent. Next year with Meka and Maxwell - two more that will boost culture, and I think the program and its personality will take the sustainable step. A lot of the pieces coming into play to give Pastner a very good chance of sticking IMO.
Though I could not watch the game due to this ACCNX crap with ESPN, I have similar thoughts. And if CJP and Rev can land Saba, it would put an exclamation point on your last sentence in my humble opinion.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just wanted to add, I really really like this Price kid.

Has an obviously strong shooting stroke and is a sneaky-good athlete. But what I like so far is his defensive presence and IQ. He's a work in process, but he's shown a pretty good motor on that end which is probably part of the reason he's gotten so much time early.

One big thing I noticed in the NCSt game was how he handled screens on defense. Didn't just die like most guys do now. It was notable that he was on the court to start the OT.

We got a good one in Price.

Deleted member 2897

Just wanted to add, I really really like this Price kid.

Has an obviously strong shooting stroke and is a sneaky-good athlete. But what I like so far is his defensive presence and IQ. He's a work in process, but he's shown a pretty good motor on that end which is probably part of the reason he's gotten so much time early.

One big thing I noticed in the NCSt game was how he handled screens on defense. Didn't just die like most guys do now. It was notable that he was on the court to start the OT.

We got a good one in Price.
Yep, and he doesn’t seem overwhelmed by being on the big court as an 18 year old kid (guessing that’s his age). That means a lot when people can play naturally, not have to think or be nervous about messing up, and just play.

GT_EE78

Banned
OK, I just got back. I think my eyes are going to be hurting for a week after watching that display of basketball.

Those who are more knowledgable than I please help me understand what I just saw. From my perspective, there was just SO much bad stuff out there....
  1. apparently nobody on our team besides Devoe and Jose can get the ball inside to Banks. With Jose out, that made our ability to penetrate a zone solely dependent on one guy. To me, ACC teams are going to look at that and absolutely feast on us!
  2. 7-24 from three. That's 29%. Elon wasn't exactly defending the three point line as far as I could tell, so we can shoot 29% uncontested. That's not going to break apart many zones. Guys with reputations as good outside shooters shot blanks tonight...Parham was 1-4, Price was 1-6.
  3. Moses should never, EVER shoot a three pointer again. This year.
  4. 17 turnovers. Nasty! We looked out of control all night long on our fast breaks. We never really looked fluid. Many, many sloppy TO's.
  5. Was it my imagination, or were some guys out there trying to make the spectacular play instead of just playing solid, fundamental basketball?
All in all, after being excited by the N C State game, this was a huge let-down for me.

Please, Swarm members who know more about basketball than I do, help me regain some perspective. Tell me why there is hope after watching this performance!
sloppy games sometimes just happen especially when its not high level competition, there were positves.
Defense was good
Devoe looks comfortable as lead scorer
bubba,Asanti and Evan played lots of minutes which helps readiness for upcoming Dawgs and Hawgs.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Sloppy game, but we got the win and our defense played well.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but for me the play of the game was when Asanti Price defended a 3 on 1 fast break and blocked their layup at the rim. Awesome play!

Deleted member 2897

Our shooting woes really came down to a few folks:
Moses Wright: 1/5, 0/2 from FT, 24 minutes
Bubba Parham: 2/6, 28 minutes
Asanti Price: 2/8, 0/2 from FT, 20 minutes

I'm going to attribute this to sometimes you just have those nights...mixed with Jose Alvarado being on the bench. Gotta make free throws.

I'm not too worried about Devoe's 6 turnovers. It was clear he was trying to drive the bus with Alvarado out, and had 22 points on 7/11 shooting, 5/6 from FT, 3/4 3PT.

Banks had 6 more blocks. Banks averaged 2.5 blocks per game last year, and that was tops in the ACC. He's averaging 5.5 this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our shooting woes really came down to a few folks:
Moses Wright: 1/5, 0/2 from FT, 24 minutes
Bubba Parham: 2/6, 28 minutes
Asanti Price: 2/8, 0/2 from FT, 20 minutes

I'm going to attribute this to sometimes you just have those nights...mixed with Jose Alvarado being on the bench. Gotta make free throws.

I'm not too worried about Devoe's 6 turnovers. It was clear he was trying to drive the bus with Alvarado out, and had 22 points on 7/11 shooting, 5/6 from FT, 3/4 3PT.

Banks had 6 more blocks. Banks averaged 2.5 blocks per game last year, and that was tops in the ACC. He's averaging 5.5 this year.

I think Parham and Price's shots will come around. Moses shot ...

loss_for_words.gif

... and I mentioned in chat, you ain't foolin' nobody, Moses. Takes the ball at the 3pt line and fakes looking for a pass until the clock runs short, then jaks a horrible shot. Does it all the time. Then looks around like, "I had to shoot it ... the clock?"

Can't fool me, Moses.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
it wasn’t pretty by any means, but it’s a win. If we play like we played last night in Lexington we will lose by 40. Luckily/hopefully we got the bad game out of the way against Elon.

We're just happy to see you up and at it today. Thoughts and prayers were with you last night after the ... incident with the slammed drawer.