Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

slugboy

Staff member
I didn’t see the Elon game. Was the offensive paint and surrounding area as clogged (jammed with defenders) as it seemed to be in the NCST game?

I remember us cutting to the basket against NCST, but it wasn’t a wide open space with lots of room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is what you mean but picking at your words - they shouldn't simply "tolerate offensive deficiencies" - They should be looking to maximize what he can do offensively within the context of the other 4 guys out there. I really don't think parking him in the corner and allowing him to float the 3 point line does that. Defenders simply ignore him and he makes mistakes with the ball that far from the basket. He has strengths within 15-18 feet from the basket and there are ways he can work with Banks in that space.

There would also be the opportunity to have 2 bigs setting screens for the wings to get them open which is something IMHO we don't do nearly enough of.

Exactly.

The last couple of years GT has made fairly substantial changes to the offensive approach during the season. Here's hoping it happens again.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Three obscure observations from the game:

1. When Banks was subbed out the first time, after taking 2 ill-advised long jumpers, he went to the end of the bench to get a drink. None of the coaches said anything to him but Jose was sitting at the end of the bench and gave him an earful. Jose talked and James listened. At the end of the one sided conversation, Jose gave him a bro handshake and pat on the shoulder. There is no doubt that Jose is the leader of the team.

2. Sjolund and Didenko sat next to each other for almost all of the game. As is usually the case, Kristian was enthusiastically supporting his teammates and into the game. If he's upset in any way about his status with the team, he sure didn't show it. He and Didenko were talking on the bench a lot and I saw David smiling and engaged.

3. Weird question: around the Jacket's first basket, CJP stood up and starting waving a big laminated card with the number 20 on it. I though, hmm, maybe he's got a new way to signal in plays or something, but he never did it again. What was up with that?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t see the Elon game. Was the offensive paint and surrounding area as clogged (jammed with defenders) as it seemed to be in the NCST game?

I remember us cutting to the basket against NCST, but it wasn’t a wide open space with lots of room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
N.C. state ran a lot of man defense. Elon ran 2-3 zone I believe.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Three obscure observations from the game:

1. When Banks was subbed out the first time, after taking 2 ill-advised long jumpers, he went to the end of the bench to get a drink. None of the coaches said anything to him but Jose was sitting at the end of the bench and gave him an earful. Jose talked and James listened. At the end of the one sided conversation, Jose gave him a bro handshake and pat on the shoulder. There is no doubt that Jose is the leader of the team.

2. Sjolund and Didenko sat next to each other for almost all of the game. As is usually the case, Kristian was enthusiastically supporting his teammates and into the game. If he's upset in any way about his status with the team, he sure didn't show it. He and Didenko were talking on the bench a lot and I saw David smiling and engaged.

3. Weird question: around the Jacket's first basket, CJP stood up and starting waving a big laminated card with the number 20 on it. I though, hmm, maybe he's got a new way to signal in plays or something, but he never did it again. What was up with that?
Maybe motor for the whole half?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe motor for the whole half?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Regarding the laminated card, I heard him say it was an idea that he got from Geoff Collins similar to the cards with different symbols that Collins' staff flashes on the sidelines during football games. Thing is, I've seen those cards on countless football sidelines and I still don't know their purpose. So I hope omeone will tell us and solve the mystery.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding the laminated card, I heard him say it was an idea that he got from Geoff Collins similar to the cards with different symbols that Collins' staff flashes on the sidelines during football games. Thing is, I've seen those cards on countless football sidelines and I still don't know their purpose. So I hope omeone will tell us and solve the mystery.
No, he's been using the laminated cards as long as he's been here - it's for defensive sets. He does it when he wants to switch defenses, and I'm pretty sure I saw at least one in the second half. Before Swartz was elevated to Assistant Coach his job used to be to line up the ones Pastner wanted to use on the end of the scorer's table. Don't know who's doing that job now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ahh. The era of playing guys at a smaller position while the trend was the opposite. I remember it well.

Well, other than his freshman year we usually had one of Miller/Udofia in the game as well. It was less that we played Shump at PG and more that he was just so much better than the other guards that it made sense for him to handle the ball most of the time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Haven't had much chance to get onto the message boards since posting after the game, I appreciate those who have helped me put this game into its proper perspective, and I'll try not to vent (or whine) after future games until after I read the comments here. I know I don't understand this sport as well as many of you guys do, and respect your opinions and wish to thank all who have commented on the Elon game so I can learn....I have a tendency to only look at offense, and not appreciate excellent defense (which we certainly displayed against Elon).

Peace.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team has potential. Need to keep Banks and Jose out of foul trouble and make three point shots. Moses is playing very agressively but fouling too much. We will need him in ACC play to help on defense. Devoe is a player. I can't wait to see Usher on the court. This should be Pastner's best team so far.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Jose really is the heartbeat of the offense. The guard play for first few mins of that Elon game was very questionable. I think not having Jose out there really impacted the way everyone played. Devoe has really been primarily a score first guard (nothing wrong with that at all) and isn’t really able to get folks going around him. I still don’t have a real grasp of bubba yet but my initial feel is he can be a bit indecisive which I guess can be expected as he gets a feel for his teammates.

This Georgia game will be a real test for everyone since those guys are pretty physical. I’m most interested to see how are bigs respond to the physicality in that game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, other than his freshman year we usually had one of Miller/Udofia in the game as well. It was less that we played Shump at PG and more that he was just so much better than the other guards that it made sense for him to handle the ball most of the time.

Shump's insistence that he was a PG in the NBA resulted in stunting Mfon's development, took the ball out of Miller's natural pla ymaking for others, and wasted the **** out of a ridiculously stacked post, by never feeding them the ball.

Being the best guard shouldn't mean hogging the ball at the expense of feeding touches to a superior player in Derrick Favors, but that's what we got and we vastly underachieved.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Shump's insistence that he was a PG in the NBA resulted in stunting Mfon's development, took the ball out of Miller's natural pla ymaking for others, and wasted the **** out of a ridiculously stacked post, by never feeding them the ball.

Being the best guard shouldn't mean hogging the ball at the expense of feeding touches to a superior player in Derrick Favors, but that's what we got and we vastly underachieved.
Hewitt has to take more of the blame than Shump for that. In what galaxy should a sophomore guard be allowed to dictate who runs the offense?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hewitt has to take more of the blame than Shump for that. In what galaxy should a sophomore guard be allowed to dictate who runs the offense?

Hewitt has a lot of blame. He placated Shump's PG expectations at the cost of hindering Mfon's development and Moe's natural PG skills. He should've been fired after that season or let him walk to St. John's, but LazyAD begged him to stay only to fire him a year later.

Still, GT fans love Shump's gaudy stats and ignore how much he didn't facilitate a tremendously talented team when given the reins.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt has a lot of blame. He placated Shump's PG expectations at the cost of hindering Mfon's development and Moe's natural PG skills. He should've been fired after that season or let him walk to St. John's, but LazyAD begged him to stay only to fire him a year later.

Still, GT fans love Shump's gaudy stats and ignore how much he didn't facilitate a tremendously talented team when given the reins.
Not one of my faves, give me an Anderson, Jack, Best, Price, Barry, Bynum all day long. PGs that made everyone around them better.

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan

I always thought he misused Thaddeus Young as well. He count have dominated at the 4 but Hewitt played him on the wing because that was going to be his position in the NBA.