Votes: 84 38.9%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 35 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
31-23 Jackets. They will have some success on offense through the air. We possess the ball a lot though, with a balanced attack (while rushing for more than 200 yards) and finish drives more than they do. It's a pretty clean game without a ton of penalties or turnovers. It will feel like a very satisfying and hard fought win. They score late to make it closer than it seemed.

slugboy

Staff member
While I appreciate this breakdown, I think it's telling that SP+ predicted FSU having an 89% chance to win over GT in Ireland. So I definitely take it with a grain of salt. There are definitely intangibles at play when it comes to every game we play this season. We have heart and drive and toughness - things that are tough to quantify. The question is, how do those things we possess stack up against those from other similarly-matched teams?

Otherwise, agree - 30-29 GT will be a stressful game to watch!!

The stats guy (Connelly) has been pretty transparent that there are a bunch of games that are going to script, and there are a bunch of games that the predictions are wildly wrong on. As a fan, he’s loving it.

Aside from a Cooley model and a few others, the models and to some degree the polls are all heavily influenced by last year. For all the data from last season, FSU had a Heisman candidate—who might have won if he hadn’t broken his leg—and this year they aren’t scary at all from that position. The models looked at history and rated FSU as good, and they have some serious flaws. Meanwhile, they’re looking at Syracuse, who has a new coaching staff, a different QB, and is night-and-day different than last season, and they’re basing their prediction on a lot of wrong data. The models have all factored in that we can’t stop the run, because we were good at it in 2 games this season and horrible at it all of last year.

We may still not be that good on defense—we’ve only had two games—but we’re better against the run than we were. Georgia State showed some holes, where we couldn’t just show up and push them around on defense—but it also showed some toughness.

I think that if we played 10 times against Syracuse, most games would be stressful, but a couple of blowouts would be possibilities.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We’ve also got the Pyron package for goal line situations. We’ve got beef when we need it.
I like that as an original thought!
I think it could work a lot further out in red zone.

Coach Key would be ledendary if he did the Wisconsin Heavy package and we mashed it in from inside 15. The new TE would be a helluva lead blocker for pyron behind big red. Love me some big ol. Pyron is tough runner.

Also, pyron has a good looking arm with a high release point on his pass. Would be great to give pyron, blackburn and stockton some identity.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think some of y'all are underrating our defense based on a single drive against FSU and a vanilla look against GSU. The first drive and last drive of a game you should kind of expect an opponent to move the ball more effectively, those drives are more scripted. We are getting pressure - we had 8 TFL against GSU and 7 TFL and a sack (should have been 2) against FSU - if their QBs held on to the ball longer instead of throwing quick short passes, those numbers would be even better. Cuse and McCord are going to try and throw some deep balls, we can take advatange of that. McCord is also not a runner.

On offense, we are a strong running team which is where Syracuse is weak, so I fully expect us to play a ball control, limited number of possessions type of game. That being said, I think we are actually a strong passing team too as we have a gunslinger QB and a ton of weapons at WR, we just haven't had to use that side of the offense as much yet. If the defense can do its job, we likely just keep it on the ground for the most part, but if the defense struggles in coverage we'll open it up through the air.

I expect a final score of 35-24 Tech
I am underrating our defense because they cannot get pressure on the quarterback consistently which is the primary factor in separating the really good teams from also rans. In that regard, I remain a skeptic until I see McCord on the ground ala that poor soul that played quarterback for Miami that got sacked 9 times his freshman year facing Tenuta's blitzes and they got to him 6 or 7 times the next year circa 2005 or so.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has said much about THEIR home field which can be a BIG advantage.If we don't control the clock AND score TDs (not FGs) ,we will lose this game (assuming TOs are even).
It is imperative to score touchdowns. Ohio had three long drives in the first half and ended up kicking three field goals that is a prescription for losing to this team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It won't be that close. Tech will get a 10 point lead in the third quarter. Syracuse will end up turning the ball over which will ultimately lead to Tech pulling away late. Tech 40 Syracuse 20.
I wish I had your confidence...I don't because I don't think we can consistently apply pressure to McCord. As for running it down their throats. Yep. Ohio ate them up with over 200 yards rushing with an offensive line that looked like a bunch of fat fraternity boys to be honest. If they thought Ohio running back Tyrus was a load to stop on the outside, wait until they see Hayes coming around the corner. Syracuse showed a glaring weakness in not setting the edge to the point that sometimes Ohio's running attack resembled a jail break.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nothing I have seen, EVER, tells me our “smaller backs” can’t get it don’t in the red zone. For 2 years now I’ve seen our “smaller backs” move the pile.
I don't know if I would call it moving the pile as much as Tech's running backs have a way of finding a crease and displaying impressive leg drive and determination to get to the pay dirt. Score touchdowns Saturday and everything else will take care of itself.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They are confident about beating a MAC team aren't they
After looking at the comments, they think they will win based on their passing game with a flock of fast wide receivers and a very good hybrid tight end wide receiver as well as good running backs who can run and catch the ball. Understandable. We think we are going to win with a running attack that will score touchdowns and a mix of play action passes to fast wide receivers and a hybrid of sorts tight end. Understandable. Which ever team's defense can get a couple of stops in each half along with a timely turnover will be in the driver's seat.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Very scary. For the first time since the early CPJ days, my wife is interested in GT football.

Kind of like the Time magazine cover talking about how great the markets are. Contrarian.
“Ah shucks, we are just hopeful we can stay on the same field with them and, maybe, if we get a lot of breaks, and the ball bounces our way, maybe, hopefully, we won’t be embarrassed. We’re just honored they would allow us to be on the same field with us.” -some combination of Bobby Bowden, Vince Dooley, Bobby Dodd and Frank Howard before playing Southwest Louisiana State.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
They HAD to pass to win because they couldn’t stop the run. I feel like they got gaudy stats in the passing game because they had to in order to win. I’m not sold on their offensive prowess. We don’t have stats against a passing attack yet because our opponents couldn’t throw. This is the perfect opportunity to show that we are well rounded. A couple of years ago, we couldn’t stop the run. Now we can. I’m comfy because I feel like we are going to finally get to send it against a qb that can’t escape.