• GT by 7-13

Votes: 84 38.9%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 35 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think some of y'all are underrating our defense based on a single drive against FSU and a vanilla look against GSU. The first drive and last drive of a game you should kind of expect an opponent to move the ball more effectively, those drives are more scripted. We are getting pressure - we had 8 TFL against GSU and 7 TFL and a sack (should have been 2) against FSU - if their QBs held on to the ball longer instead of throwing quick short passes, those numbers would be even better. Cuse and McCord are going to try and throw some deep balls, we can take advatange of that. McCord is also not a runner.

On offense, we are a strong running team which is where Syracuse is weak, so I fully expect us to play a ball control, limited number of possessions type of game. That being said, I think we are actually a strong passing team too as we have a gunslinger QB and a ton of weapons at WR, we just haven't had to use that side of the offense as much yet. If the defense can do its job, we likely just keep it on the ground for the most part, but if the defense struggles in coverage we'll open it up through the air.

I expect a final score of 35-24 Tech
Agree, but we may struggle to score in red zone w smaller backs. FG s verses TD s.
They may burn us. We may fumble.
Faulkner / King will open up some deeper routes and run game will roll. Defense will get int.
Gt 34 Scuse 28

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Agree, but we may struggle to score in red zone w smaller backs. FG s verses TD s.
They may burn us. We may fumble.
Faulkner / King will open up some deeper routes and run game will roll. Defense will get int.
Gt 34 Scuse 28
Nothing I have seen, EVER, tells me our “smaller backs” can’t get it don’t in the red zone. For 2 years now I’ve seen our “smaller backs” move the pile.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nothing I have seen, EVER, tells me our “smaller backs” can’t get it don’t in the red zone. For 2 years now I’ve seen our “smaller backs” move the pile.
Yeah, what he said sounded good in theory but there is no real-world evidence to back it up. I suppose if our RBs had no one blocking for them, and had to take on a 290 defender from a standing start, then they may not move the pile. But Syracuse’s defensive front will have their hands full long before an 190 pound missile hits the crack at full speed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The other team is allowed to adjust.

Rewatch the first few games in 23. Very poor red zone .

We hit stride in second half of season and scored on long runs.

At end Clemson who put 8 in the box w safties up close.

But in Faulkner King we trust!
Go jackets.
We have big goals

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, what he said sounded good in theory but there is no real-world evidence to back it up. I suppose if our RBs had no one blocking for them, and had to take on a 290 defender from a standing start, then they may not move the pile. But Syracuse’s defensive front will have their hands full long before an 190 pound missile hits the crack at full speed.
It made a lot more sense back when we had an OL that couldn't block so the rb was being met in the backfield as soon as he got the ball. But with the current OL and having seen Jamal Haynes carry defenders numerous times, I don't think it's necessary right now.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I picked Tech to win by about a touchdown but disclaimer for those who would wager money on this game...I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Syracuse is certainly capable of shredding our secondary and running away with it. We do not need to get in a shootout with this team. Limit their possessions and shorten the game like in the old days.
not even like in the old days, CPJ did that a lot and Key's done it a couple of times.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
When FSU was in 3rd and long, the TV announcers were talking about how Santucci liked to blitz but also was great at hiding where the blitzers were coming from. I came out of that game feeling like we were seeing a modern Tenuta-style defense. Didn't see any of that against State.

Against a pocket passer with somewhat limited mobility (he's no Castellanos), I think we see a lot more aggressive defense tomorrow with lots of blitzing. We may give up a few long completions but I predict we get 4 or more sacks with quite a few hurried throws and 1-2 interceptions.

Combine that with our ability to "Run the Bawl" against Syracuse, this is going to be another 7-9 possession game and lower scoring than most think. I'm sticking with my 28-17 prediction.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When FSU was in 3rd and long, the TV announcers were talking about how Santucci liked to blitz but also was great at hiding where the blitzers were coming from. I came out of that game feeling like we were seeing a modern Tenuta-style defense. Didn't see any of that against State.

Against a pocket passer with somewhat limited mobility (he's no Castellanos), I think we see a lot more aggressive defense tomorrow with lots of blitzing. We may give up a few long completions but I predict we get 4 or more sacks with quite a few hurried throws and 1-2 interceptions.

Combine that with our ability to "Run the Bawl" against Syracuse, this is going to be another 7-9 possession game and lower scoring than most think. I'm sticking with my 28-17 prediction.
I hope you are spot on about our defense being way more complicated than OHIO s bend but dont break zone.

There will be turn overs that shorten the field. I bet we get 2 more take aways than them which gives us 10 more points. Santucci!
Can gt have nice things---like a very good dc at same time as a very good oc?

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
The other team is allowed to adjust.

Rewatch the first few games in 23. Very poor red zone .

We hit stride in second half of season and scored on long runs.

At end Clemson who put 8 in the box w safties up close.

But in Faulkner King we trust!
Go jackets.
We have big goals
I'm not saying we can't be stopped. I'm just saying that our "small backs" have shown themselves to be more than capable in the red zone. Even at the goal line against a bigger FSU line that knew we were running straight into the 1 or 2 gap, our "small backs" gained positive yardage. I'm not concerned that our "small backs" would have more issues than if we had a "big back."

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think this might be a little slower start for us and it could be dicey… for a minute.
I say that because I believe Key and Buster are going to run the football into the teeth of the Cuse D and challenge it. I don’t see us getting cute.
I would expect Cuse to come out with a heavy box and STAY IN IT during the first couple of drives. If they just show heavy and back out at the snap, we won’t be checking… we’ll run it right at them and likely do it successfully.
If Cuse sits in a heavy box and slows us down for a couple of drives, then we might start checking a bit and they can dictate a little bit defensively. Especially if their offense is able to put up early points.
That said, I’m not sure they can really slow us with a heavy box…. At least not all day…. So consider that a gimmick more than a gameplan. If we block the perimeter, they’ll have to play a little deeper for pursuit.
This might be the week where we have that “constraint” call in our back pocket on the first series just to show them something to think about. If we hit something like that early, their D could be on skates all day. I hope that’s the case, but I don’t think we will run away from them
Jackets 27
Orangemen 20

slugboy

Staff member

We blitzed a couple of times. We got burned at least once.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m hopeful that at some point in the game, our offensive line starts to do to Syracuse what it did last year in the second half against North Carolina. Should be fun to watch if that’s the case.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty interesting article by Jackson Caudell including the SP+ prediction of a GT win at 30-29.and a 52% chance to win. Article spells out some of the factors that go into the SP+ prediction like recent production, recent recruiting, and recent history. If it is something like 30-29, I will definitely need an adult beverage in order to make it to make it to the end!!

I am Hoping for something like 31-21 GT.

While I appreciate this breakdown, I think it's telling that SP+ predicted FSU having an 89% chance to win over GT in Ireland. So I definitely take it with a grain of salt. There are definitely intangibles at play when it comes to every game we play this season. We have heart and drive and toughness - things that are tough to quantify. The question is, how do those things we possess stack up against those from other similarly-matched teams?

Otherwise, agree - 30-29 GT will be a stressful game to watch!!