• GT by 7-13

Votes: 84 38.9%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 35 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Unless they learn how to stop the run we will eventually grind them to dust. The only way we don’t win this is if we cannot pressure their QB and he goes for 300 yards through the air. I don’t see that on our secondary but that’s why they play the games.

Just do it, Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Unless they learn how to stop the run we will eventually grind them to dust. The only way we don’t win this is if we cannot pressure their QB and he goes for 300 yards through the air. I don’t see that on our secondary but that’s why they play the games.

Just do it, Jackets!
I’m tight for this game and I don’t mean I’ve been drinking. On edge. Nervous.

But prior to this game I had been feeling really good about our secondary, feeling like they could cover anyone, and that we aren’t afraid to stick anyone on an island. This is a serious test of that. If we can hang with their passing attack I will not fear anyone else’s passing attack all year. Every good passing team will get their yards but I don’t think any team will totally shred our defense if we stop Syracuse today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m tight for this game and I don’t mean I’ve been drinking. On edge. Nervous.

But prior to this game I had been feeling really good about our secondary, feeling like they could cover anyone, and that we aren’t afraid to stick anyone on an island. This is a serious test of that. If we can hang with their passing attack I will not fear anyone else’s passing attack all year. Every good passing team will get their yards but I don’t think any team will totally shred our defense if we stop Syracuse today.

Our secondary is going to need to back up that shark fin meme with action today. They do and we win easy. They don't and advantage Cuse.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Syracuse will have some offensive success today. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong in that statement. Some have tossed (pardon the pun) around 300 passing yards as a possibility with a sense of doom attached to it. While I hope we do hold them under that number, I don't see it as a barometer for us winning or losing the game. In fact, it might be a slightly stronger predictor of an Orange demise. If they are a one dimensional offense today, 300 yards will probably not be enough to sink our ship. It might make us uncomfortable at times though.

To me, the key to victory (beyond the obvious ones like turnovers) for GT today is having a balanced offense that sustains and finishes drives while, at the same time, our D severely limits their offensive production in one phase or the other (most likely rushing). If we can do that, it will be a good day for us. The red zone becomes a difficult place to operate if you are one dimensional.

300 passing yards for them in the box score may be as much a sign that our offense was productive and we were playing with a lead most of the day while possessing the ball. If we struggle on offense, naturally, they are going to go to the run more in order to shorten the game and limit the number of chances we have to right the ship.

Hopefully we play a high energy game and dominate in all aspects, including the scoreboard. That could happen, but I see it as less likely than a hard fought affair with a few changes in momentum and some adversity along the way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The key to winning this game lies in what we do, not what they do. We are a running team and we run the ball well. I’m skeptical exCuse can stop us on the ground. If we establish the ground game and lay down 200-300 rushing yards, we will control the game and what they do won’t matter. If we put the ball on the ground or they (somehow) stop the run, it becomes a shootout and anyone’s game.

Run. The. Ball. CBK knows what to do.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing I hadn’t thought about that worries me a bit is that this is Tech’s first game in who knows how long that won’t have the Georgia Tech Marching Band. I honestly hope they don’t get weirded out when they score a touchdown and don’t hear anything. Hoping they can keep the energy level up without the moral support.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Three keys to this game: (1) pressure on the QB up front, (2) effective coverage by our secondary, and (3) are you kidding me, run the bawl!
Based on what I have seen the first half...we are doing nothing to pressure the quarterback and our secondary coverage is atrocious. Why are we putting linebackers on #18? He is their best athlete on offense and will just run right by any linebacker. Which I commented on the other day after watching Ohio play Syracuse in their first game. I also posted that I had little confidence in our defense and here they are on a pace to give up about 600 yards in this game. Pathetic.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know what’s more frustrating… defense performance circa 2020 at Syracuse, missed FG, or the inability to sustain drives.

The second is underrated… probably about half the student body thinks football is soccer. Given how international we are, I don’t know why we cannot have someone who can kick with accuracy.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what’s more frustrating… defense performance circa 2020 at Syracuse, missed FG, or the inability to sustain drives.

The second is underrated… probably about half the student body thinks football is soccer. Given how international we are, I don’t know why we cannot have someone who can kick with accuracy.
he literally set the single season school record for field goal % last year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So 16 people here got the prediction correct today! A couple of hundred got it wrong! Guess we suck at predictions!
I got it right but not sure it means anything. I was just afraid of a tired team having to take another long trip to play against one of college football’s best QBs in front of fan base that is excited and believing in their team again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I got it right but not sure it means anything. I was just afraid of a tired team having to take another long trip to play against one of college football’s best QBs in front of fan base that is excited and believing in their team again.
I honestly don't get this thing of being "tired". The players are in their early 20s and have had a week to recuperate from their last game. I've hit 70. Me, I'm tired.
That QB was our biggest problem.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't get this thing of being "tired". The players are in their early 20s and have had a week to recuperate from their last game. I've hit 70. Me, I'm tired.
That QB was our biggest problem.
When you’re twenty (you remember, right?) you don’t know you’re tired most of the times you are tired. You keep looking and acting the way you normally do but it’s little things that change. You forget an assignment, you stumble over something that you normally good negotiate blindfolded, you make a small mental error in math, you act energetic but you are a half second off in your sprints, you get bored with a task, distracted -this is being tired as a teenager or early 2O something.

That’s all it takes. And, yes, today we faced a better team and an excellent QB, but if we are less tired we break up a few more passes and Syracuse doesn’t break as many of our tackles.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When you’re twenty (you remember, right?) you don’t know you’re tired most of the times you are tired. You keep looking and acting the way you normally do but it’s little things that change. You forget an assignment, you stumble over something that you normally good negotiate blindfolded, you make a small mental error in math, you act energetic but you are a half second off in your sprints, you get bored with a task, distracted -this is being tired as a teenager or early 2O something.

That’s all it takes. And, yes, today we faced a better team and an excellent QB, but if we are less tired we break up a few more passes and Syracuse doesn’t break as many of our tackles.
Well I guess, but I still don't get why we would be appreciable more tired than Syracuse.
We're on the road, but other than that I don't see it. Half the teams that play are on the road, and it's just a two-hour plane ride.
They were at home, but Tech has been road warriors the last two years.