Game 11 #CUSEvsGT Ramblings

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know of any good parking that isn't outrageous for gameday? I know there are various lots but if anyone knows of a steal please share

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Chris Young could bring the lumber. Same guy who grabbed Jasper Thanks fumble in '99.
Yeah, that was a legal hit 20 years ago but today it's targeting (and rightfully so).
Disagree.
Did not initiate contact with helmet.
Did not contact to head.
Did not launch.
Runner was not defenseless.

Not a target, even today.
IMG_7659.jpeg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
After reading a summary of the offense changes Syracuse made last game. I have concerns that if we come out in our standard defense, it's going to be a long day. This game IMO will define the real ability of our coaching staff to adjust to different offenses. To win, we must stop the run and avoid long time consuming drives that wear down the defense and reduce possessions (sound familiar?).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
However… targeting. :oops:

That should be more than a two half ban. There are accidental targetings and then that. No attempt to hit with anything other than the head to the head of a defenseless player.

I like banning a player for the maximum of 2 halves or length of time a person he injures is out if a flagrant foul. There were almost certainly two concussions on that hit. https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_whatis.html#:~:text=Is a Concussion?-,What Is a Concussion?,move rapidly back and forth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I feel our team does better if GTSwarm is in full meltdown mode leading into the game.

Don't let the team down fellow GTSwarmers! Let's rail about our coaches, how ineffective King is, how bad we are on defense, how special teams is our achilles heal, how bad our tackling is...and of course, how awful our unis are! Don't hold back...
This actually works. Look it up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it requires overzealousness. It was a cringeworthy hit.
It would be a borderline call today.

Legal: didn’t hit with crown of the head, head erect, looking at ball carrier.

Borderline: did he hit under the chin area or too high on the collar bone? Did he launch?

Unclear part of rule: shoulder tackling is encouraged by the rule but not clear whether failure to use shoulder, even if unintentional, is strictly forbidden. Put another way, is centering the tackle on the ball carrier now considered spearing?

Someone please correct me but my gut is that it might depend on the ref making the call. Also, it would be reviewed at end of season by rules committee to see if targeting rule needs further clarification.

Adam Gotsis made a similar hit on a QB and was ejected from the game.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Hopefully Scherrer has put in some 4-3 base packages in case of an option-heavy game. Or maybe some Buffalo nickel packages.
Problem with 4-3 packages is that our LBs are often a liability . So you are taking a better pursuit and tackle player off the field for someone that likely is a liability.

I think we still base out of a 4-2-5 but keep King and Brooks in the box; so it will be a modified 4-4. They’ll be critical in controlling the edge. You’ll also see some 5 DL looks.

You’ll see a lot of Efford and Moala at LB; don’t think it is game where Tatum plays a lot.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It would be a borderline call today.

Legal: didn’t hit with crown of the head, head erect, looking at ball carrier.

Borderline: did he hit under the chin area or too high on the collar bone? Did he launch?

Unclear part of rule: shoulder tackling is encouraged by the rule but not clear whether failure to use shoulder, even if unintentional, is strictly forbidden. Put another way, is centering the tackle on the ball carrier now considered spearing?

Someone please correct me but my gut is that it might depend on the ref making the call. Also, it would be reviewed at end of season by rules committee to see if targeting rule needs further clarification.

Adam Gotsis made a similar hit on a QB and was ejected from the game.
Gotsis, because of the height differential, made facemask-to-facemask contact, knocking his helmet halfway off. That's why it was targeting. It was a textbook tackle. No crown of the helmet was used, and contact was made with the facemask. Unfortunate height differential.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
However… targeting. :oops:

I thought at the time, as I watched the game, that the targeting was unintentional. It looked in real time like the player was anticipating where he thought the ball was going to be. Some of the most “applauded” defensive plays by announcers involve fumbles or incompletions where the defender’s helmet dislodges the ball.

But definitely should get a penalty and suspension because it was a dangerous play even if unintentional.