Game 11 #CUSEvsGT Ramblings

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Agree it's the default and maybe what's best in most cases. But last night we came out better with the turnover and holding penalty.

A lot can go wrong on a KO return. In general, I hate to see us do one. So why not make the other team return and screw up overall? I would entice a KO return from a team with similar or lesser athletes and wouldn't do against a team with clearly superior athletes. Also wouldn't do when way in front and don't want to give the other team a spark.
I think you have to have a lot of confidence that the other team won't house one or more of the kickoffs and that you can cover, which is not something I would say about Tech.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think you have to have a lot of confidence that the other team won't house one or more of the kickoffs and that you can cover, which is not something I would say about Tech.

I know a coach who in his 25 year career never had a kickoff returned for a TD. You could say he worked on coverage in practice but you could also recognize that he did not believe in kicking a ball on purpose to the other team's likely best player. If you cannot depend on getting it in the endzone then kick it to a ST backup or preferrably a TE or LB.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know a coach who in his 25 year career never had a kickoff returned for a TD. You could say he worked on coverage in practice but you could also recognize that he did not believe in kicking a ball on purpose to the other team's likely best player. If you cannot depend on getting it in the endzone then kick it to a ST backup or preferrably a TE or LB.
Or you could do like the past coach we had and not score so you only have to kickoff once a game