Game 11 #CUSEvsGT Ramblings

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What we need is to play
I was from out of state so Thanksgiving weekend was the chance to get together with past friends from high school that had also come home for that weekend. Freshman year was a big deal to see close friends that gone to different schools. I never attended a UGA Tech game until I was married and in grad school.
Same as me. Never saw a game while in college as I was home in SC for Thanksgiving. And it really wasn't our biggest game as we were still in the SEC and UGA was down. Our biggest games were Alabama, Auburn, Tenneesee, and LSU.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Kyle Efford looks really solid, glad he’s got years left

I’m envious of the cuse’s 3-3-5 defense. It leaves the secondary a little more vulnerable, but I think the added pressure on RB and QB makes up for it and more.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Super impressed with job Sherrer did preparing for this game. With our lack of personnel I fully expected Syracuse to run us to death but Sherrer put players in a position to make plays and mostly they did. If our offense had not tried to throw the game away we could have this game by four scores.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Special teams not so special last night. Kick returns.

Just wondering abour our KO's. For the first 8-9 games Stewart was putting them in the end zone for touchbacks. There were no returns. Now we are back to kicking it or squibbing it and crossing our fingers. I have to assume there has been a minor injury. Does anyone know for certain? I don't want to have to worry abour our coverage teams next Saturday.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Just wondering abour our KO's. For the first 8-9 games Stewart was putting them in the end zone for touchbacks. There were no returns. Now we are back to kicking it or squibbing it and crossing our fingers. I have to assume there has been a minor injury. Does anyone know for certain? I don't want to have to worry abour our coverage teams next Saturday.

I wondered this too. But I also wonder what the analytics says about kick returns nowadays. I wondered if we did this purposefully.

Kickoff returns are much less common and my untrained eye says they’re usually worse than a touchback. Syracuse got a few yards better than the 25 yd line on a few KOs last night but also started one possession on their own 9 yd line due to holding penalty and fumbled another.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I wondered this too. But I also wonder what the analytics says about kick returns nowadays. I wondered if we did this purposefully.

Kickoff returns are much less common and my untrained eye says they’re usually worse than a touchback. Syracuse got a few yards better than the 25 yd line on a few KOs last night but also started one possession on their own 9 yd line due to holding penalty and fumbled another.
Getting the ball at the 25 yard line seems to be the default for most teams. Even on a kickoff that lands at the five ends in a fair catch.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Getting the ball at the 25 yard line seems to be the default for most teams. Even on a kickoff that lands at the five ends in a fair catch.

Agree it's the default and maybe what's best in most cases. But last night we came out better with the turnover and holding penalty.

A lot can go wrong on a KO return. In general, I hate to see us do one. So why not make the other team return and screw up overall? I would entice a KO return from a team with similar or lesser athletes and wouldn't do against a team with clearly superior athletes. Also wouldn't do when way in front and don't want to give the other team a spark.