Game 11 #CUSEvsGT Ramblings

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here we are. The CuseJacket Super Bowl. I generally don't enjoy these matchups other than for the fact that I get to consolidate my time in front of the TV on Saturdays.

Make no mistake - I will be at BDS, in gold, and 100% in support of the Jackets. My son with the same allegiances will also be supporting the good guys.

Here's the deal at a high level to not bore everyone out the gate:
  • Syracuse won their first 4 games beating up on patsies - all FCS or sub .500 teams in Colgate, Western Michigan, Purdue and Army.
  • Then they got physically abused by Clemson. This game is key, because many believe this is where Shrader (QB) got meaningfully hurt. He took a Vad Lee vs. UNC type hit. Whether it was this game specifically or not, he hasn't been healthy since.
  • Following Clemson and four more L's, the Orange beat Pitt yesterday. How did they do it? They completely transformed their offense and, per Narduzzi "did something completely different that we didn't prepare for all week". 'Cuse passed 8 times for 17 yards - maybe 1 attempt longer than 10 yards? - with Shrader playing the whole game but only attempting 2 of those 8. The Orange won by way of 66 carries and racking up 382 yards on the ground via a shotgun, veer offense.
Shrader is still clearly hurt. That is good for our chances. There frankly is not a viable threat of being beat deep - he's physically not capable - and the Cuse receivers that are expected to play are not capable of beating our secondary 1-on-1 consistently. The question is, is the unexpected transition to the option-based veer package a one-game anomaly or something they will carry forward?

The 'Cuse defense is respectable. It's a 3-3-5 that punches above its weight (DFEI 53 prior to allowing 13 points yesterday). But it's not one that should give our offense a ton of concern other than we don't see it much.

Nothing noteworthy about their special teams.

We should be favored. That is a big improvement from where this game might have been earlier in the year. And obviously we badly need this one. 'Cuse on the other hand needs to win one of their last two to secure bowl eligibility, and their final game vs. Wake at home gives them their best chance.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can we win, yes. But not if the players believe this will be an easy game. If our offense comes out trying to play fast and has a few 3 and outs if we be a long long game for us. Our defense point blanks sucks at stopping the run. If we don't get our running game going it could be bad.
I can see this game being 2 ways if we win Tech 42 Syracuse 14 but if our players think it will be easy and our OC thinks we need to run a speed up offense and we have a few 3 and outs then I can see it being Syracuse 21 Tech 17. ( A 6-4 225 QB will not be easy to stop)
I hope that ain't the case lets hope we can stop a running game once.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Question for CuseJacket I have not seen them play but how did their TE (Dan Villira get so many carries(17) in their last game ? At 6-4 235 he would not be easy to stop.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Question for CuseJacket I have not seen them play but how did their TE (Dan Villira get so many carries(17) in their last game ? At 6-4 235 he would not be easy to stop.
He acted as a Shrader-lite yesterday specifically as part of the offensive overhaul.

He's a former QB (U of Mich transfer) who converted to TE after he got to Syracuse and didn't win the QB1 job. As of yesterday, he is now also a hybrid H-Back and QB. You'll notice he had 5 of the 8 total Cuse pass attempts.

Given this last week was a wild transformation in a matter of days, he was unsurprisingly uncomfortable passing (3 of 5 for 12 yds). He also had ball security issues and fumbled twice. Hard to know how effective it will be going forward now that it's on tape. I am grateful we weren't the guinea pigs. Also hard to know what tendencies they've set up to be broken this week e.g., Shrader often split out wide but was targeted only twice - mainly a decoy so much so that he even did a backflip at the snap on one play.

As Babers said in the postgame, 'Cuse was unapologetically trying to get their team to play physical again via forcing the run game no matter what, and it worked well. Think about a triple option this way:
  • QB/WR/RB - Garrett Shrader - 6'4" 225lb
  • QB/TE/RB - Dan Villari - 6'4" 235lb
  • RB - LeQuint Allen - 6'0" 195lb

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He acted as a Shrader-lite yesterday specifically as part of the offensive overhaul.

He's a former QB (U of Mich transfer) who converted to TE after he got to Syracuse and didn't win the QB1 job. As of yesterday, he is now also a hybrid H-Back and QB. You'll notice he had 5 of the 8 total Cuse pass attempts.

Given this last week was a wild transformation in a matter of days, he was unsurprisingly uncomfortable passing (3 of 5 for 12 yds). He also had ball security issues and fumbled twice. Hard to know how effective it will be going forward now that it's on tape. I am grateful we weren't the guinea pigs. Also hard to know what tendencies they've set up to be broken this week e.g., Shrader often split out wide but was targeted only twice - mainly a decoy so much so that he even did a backflip at the snap on one play.

As Babers said in the postgame, 'Cuse was unapologetically trying to get their team to play physical again via forcing the run game no matter what, and it worked well. Think about a triple option this way:
Love the backflip. :LOL:

That’s the kind of selfless determination that doesn’t show up in the box score!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Those are some big boys running downhill. We need to attack, I’m guessing. If we sit back, we may get run over.
Sell out for run, shoot gaps, hope they miss when they go over the top

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Here we are. The CuseJacket Super Bowl. I generally don't enjoy these matchups other than for the fact that I get to consolidate my time in front of the TV on Saturdays.

Make no mistake - I will be at BDS, in gold, and 100% in support of the Jackets. My son with the same allegiances will also be supporting the good guys.

Here's the deal at a high level to not bore everyone out the gate:
  • Syracuse won their first 4 games beating up on patsies - all FCS or sub .500 teams in Colgate, Western Michigan, Purdue and Army.
  • Then they got physically abused by Clemson. This game is key, because many believe this is where Shrader (QB) got meaningfully hurt. He took a Vad Lee vs. UNC type hit. Whether it was this game specifically or not, he hasn't been healthy since.
  • Following Clemson and four more L's, the Orange beat Pitt yesterday. How did they do it? They completely transformed their offense and, per Narduzzi "did something completely different that we didn't prepare for all week". 'Cuse passed 8 times for 17 yards - maybe 1 attempt longer than 10 yards? - with Shrader playing the whole game but only attempting 2 of those 8. The Orange won by way of 66 carries and racking up 382 yards on the ground via a shotgun, veer offense.
Shrader is still clearly hurt. That is good for our chances. There frankly is not a viable threat of being beat deep - he's physically not capable - and the Cuse receivers that are expected to play are not capable of beating our secondary 1-on-1 consistently. The question is, is the unexpected transition to the option-based veer package a one-game anomaly or something they will carry forward?

The 'Cuse defense is respectable. It's a 3-3-5 that punches above its weight (DFEI 53 prior to allowing 13 points yesterday). But it's not one that should give our offense a ton of concern other than we don't see it much.

Nothing noteworthy about their special teams.

We should be favored. That is a big improvement from where this game might have been earlier in the year. And obviously we badly need this one. 'Cuse on the other hand needs to win one of their last two to secure bowl eligibility, and their final game vs. Wake at home gives them their best chance.
Thanks for giving context to the bizarre box score I saw.

slugboy

Staff member
Babers is a smart coach. He’s mostly been an offensive coach, but only once an OC. It was smart to throw in veer ideas. I wonder if he throws something new at us this weekend. Looking back, I wish our coaches had tried something new yesterday (hindsight is 20/20).

This is almost certainly Baber’s farewell season, so who knows what he’ll try.

Their fans seem to view us as part of a winnable slate for next year:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I was really hoping we could come into this game and not having to worry about bowling, but here we are and it makes me nervous. I'll be there next weekend but man my nerves are gonna be going.

Yeah, like the OP said. This is our Superbowl pretty much. And against Syracuse. Kinda sad but hey. I'll take a win for a bowl

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I was feeling pretty good about our chances before I read Cusejacket post and then looking at Syracuse game stats. Watched some of their first quarter and you have a converted tight end running the ball with their 6-5, 225 QB blocking for him. Scary! If we can't run the run and give our D some rest, we will have a tough time Saturday.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
If Tech plays good they win. Each and every player better treat it like a playoff game and give maximum effort for 60 minutes. Truly believe the offense will play a good game this week- hopefully defense keeps them at 24 points or less.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we win, yes. But not if the players believe this will be an easy game. If our offense comes out trying to play fast and has a few 3 and outs if we be a long long game for us. Our defense point blanks sucks at stopping the run. If we don't get our running game going it could be bad.
I can see this game being 2 ways if we win Tech 42 Syracuse 14 but if our players think it will be easy and our OC thinks we need to run a speed up offense and we have a few 3 and outs then I can see it being Syracuse 21 Tech 17. ( A 6-4 225 QB will not be easy to stop)
I would say after getting thoroughly beat yesterday the team will not be taking this game for granted. But after Bowling Green and Boston College, no clue to which team will show up. But this game is huge since we are the ACC team that has gone the longest time since going to a bowl game. And the extra practice time to prepare for a bowl is terrific for players to get ready for 2024. Currently 8 teams have at least 6 wins (FSU, Louisville, UNC, NC St., Boston College, Duke, Clemson, Miami), 3 have 5 wins (GT, Syracuse, VT), 1 has 4 wins (WF) and 2 are out (Pitt, VA). Syracuse has us and then WF at home. VT has NC State home and VA on the road. Wake has Notre Dame and Syracuse both on the road (mission impossible). We obiously have UGA after Syracuse. 12 bowl tie ins including Orange Bowl and possibility of 13 if FSU makes the playofts. Realistically looks like ACC max qualified teams will be 11.
Bowl GameOpponentLocationGame DateGame Time (ET)Network
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla BowlAAC, P12, SECTampa, FLFri., Dec. 22, 20236:30 p.m.ESPN
TicketSmarter Birmingham BowlAAC or SECBirmingham, ALSat., Dec. 23, 2023NoonABC
Military BowlAACAnnapolis, MDWed., Dec. 27, 20232:00 p.m.ESPN
Duke's Mayo BowlBig TenCharlotte, NCWed., Dec. 27, 20235:30 p.m.ESPN
SDCUU Holiday BowlPac 12San Diego, CAWed., Dec. 27, 20238:00 p.m.FOX
Wasabi Fenway BowlAACBoston, MAThurs., Dec. 28, 202311:00 a.m.ESPN
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe BowlBig TenNew York, NYThurs., Dec. 28, 20232:15 p.m.ESPN
Pop-Tarts BowlBig 12Orlando, FLThurs., Dec. 28, 20235:45 p.m.ESPN
TaxSlayer Gator BowlSECJacksonville, FLFri., Dec. 29, 2023NoonESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun BowlPac 12El Paso,TXFri., Dec. 29, 20232:00 p.m.CBS
Reliaquest BowlAAC, P12, SECTampa, FLMon., Jan. 1, 2024NoonESPN2
Orange Bowl*B10, SEC, NDMiami, FLSat, Dec 30, 20234PMESPN
College Playoffs**Rose or SugarCA or LASun, January 1, 20245PM, 8:45PMESPN
*Highest ranked ACC Team if not ACC Champion
**If ACC Qualifies a Team

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say after getting thoroughly beat yesterday the team will not be taking this game for granted. But after Bowling Green and Boston College, no clue to which team will show up. But this game is huge since we are the ACC team that has gone the longest time since going to a bowl game. And the extra practice time to prepare for a bowl is terrific for players to get ready for 2024. Currently 8 teams have at least 6 wins (FSU, Louisville, UNC, NC St., Boston College, Duke, Clemson, Miami), 3 have 5 wins (GT, Syracuse, VT), 1 has 4 wins (WF) and 2 are out (Pitt, VA). Syracuse has us and then WF at home. VT has NC State home and VA on the road. Wake has Notre Dame and Syracuse both on the road (mission impossible). We obiously have UGA after Syracuse. 12 bowl tie ins including Orange Bowl and possibility of 13 if FSU makes the playofts. Realistically looks like ACC max qualified teams will be 11.
Bowl GameOpponentLocationGame DateGame Time (ET)Network
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla BowlAAC, P12, SECTampa, FLFri., Dec. 22, 20236:30 p.m.ESPN
TicketSmarter Birmingham BowlAAC or SECBirmingham, ALSat., Dec. 23, 2023NoonABC
Military BowlAACAnnapolis, MDWed., Dec. 27, 20232:00 p.m.ESPN
Duke's Mayo BowlBig TenCharlotte, NCWed., Dec. 27, 20235:30 p.m.ESPN
SDCUU Holiday BowlPac 12San Diego, CAWed., Dec. 27, 20238:00 p.m.FOX
Wasabi Fenway BowlAACBoston, MAThurs., Dec. 28, 202311:00 a.m.ESPN
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe BowlBig TenNew York, NYThurs., Dec. 28, 20232:15 p.m.ESPN
Pop-Tarts BowlBig 12Orlando, FLThurs., Dec. 28, 20235:45 p.m.ESPN
TaxSlayer Gator BowlSECJacksonville, FLFri., Dec. 29, 2023NoonESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun BowlPac 12El Paso,TXFri., Dec. 29, 20232:00 p.m.CBS
Reliaquest BowlAAC, P12, SECTampa, FLMon., Jan. 1, 2024NoonESPN2
Orange Bowl*B10, SEC, NDMiami, FLSat, Dec 30, 20234PMESPN
College Playoffs**Rose or SugarCA or LASun, January 1, 20245PM, 8:45PMESPN
*Highest ranked ACC Team if not ACC Champion
**If ACC Qualifies a Team

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Makes sense 'Cuse will go ball control and try and keep our offense on the sidelines/getting cold. Much like Clemson did. Our offense wasn't the same after their 10-min death march. Need to be able to run the ball effectively and get a few stops to win. In other words, win the trenches.

BDS at night is a good thing. I feel like we usually play well under those circumstances. Hoping that overcomes being home favorites.