Ga Tech Lubricant Thread

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I normally keep the empty bottle of my favorite beers so I don’t forget. Unfortunately, I think I threw the two Hefeweizen bottles away. I guess I will have to sample them all again. Dang it!

Seriously though, I haven’t tried Ayinger’s Hefeweizen. I think one of them was Franziskaner. Do you recommend Ayinger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is your q'essential Bavarian brewery. A friend gave me 6 different Ayingers for Christmas one year. I'm not weisse fan but I'm very partial to the Marzen style and theirs is very, very good. This is also one of their better ones
Jahrhundert

One of my all-time favorites though is Spaten's Octoberfest (a Marzen style). My wife can even appreciate why I think it's so distinctive. I usually buy 2-3 cases when it comes out in August/September.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Some of the best all around breweries in the U.S. where almost every beer is a hit
  • 3 Floyds (IN)
  • Tree House (MA)
  • Wicked Weed (NC)

Best in GA:
  • Scofflaw

Solely based on what I've had. Curious to hear other opinions.
Love Wicked Weed's Xibalaba. Three dollar signs though saddens me...just like Prairie Bomb

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It is your q'essential Bavarian brewery. A friend gave me 6 different Ayingers for Christmas one year. I'm not weisse fan but I'm very partial to the Marzen style and theirs is very, very good. This is also one of their better ones
Jahrhundert

One of my all-time favorites though is Spaten's Octoberfest (a Marzen style). My wife can even appreciate why I think it's so distinctive. I usually buy 2-3 cases when it comes out in August/September.

Great, thanks. I will have to check these out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bourbon, yum.

Too many good ones to list. Neat, never watered down or chilled. I drink my whiskey clear!

GT win: (1 drink)
  • Blanton's
  • Blum Bros. Knotter Bourbon
  • Barrell Bourbon New Year
  • Old Forester 1920
GT Loss: (2+ drinks)
  • Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Weller Antique 107
  • Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength
  • Knob Creek 120
I do not like any of the sherry-finished bourbons like Angel's Envy or Belle Meade, too soft and a little cloying. Maker's Mark and Elijah Craig are too easy to drink too much because they're too smooth. Need the bite in the mouth-feel and generally prefer a little more spice (i.e. high rye). Ironically, several of my choices are wheaters, which tend to be more sweet than spicy, but if the proof is right, even these are awesome.

@Techster As for Pappy, they're overrated as far as being the end-all for bourbon. I prefer Pappy 15, while some say Pappy 20 is the ideal age. Pappy 23 spent too much time in the barrel and it's hard to get past the woody taste. Although it's the most expensive and rarest of the Pappy line, the 23-year is the least appealing of the three, in my opinion. Given the choice, I would probably take the William Larue Weller (Antique Collection) over any of the Van Winkle offerings.

Love me some Old Forrester 1920 as well as Four Roses (small batch not single barrel)

Stagg Jr is another good one though you only need one for quality lubrication.

Overrated for me: Jefferson, Bakers, Defiant, Larceny.

Best Cheap: Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey Rye, EW 1793, Knob Creek Rye

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Old Rasputin is good. I like the Imperial Stouts. Never had the Prairie Bomb. Have to look for it.
Only for the $80k-ers...$7/bottle.

13% ABV but excellent stuff if you like this stuff. Kinda' like Old Rasputin but with ancho chili. Not for chuggin'.

I went on a tour in the Balkans last July, and virtually every restaurant we ate at, and at many places we just visited as part of the tour, shots of brandy were offered to us. After learning that you don't sip it; you just shoot it straight down your throat, I got where I actually liked the stuff. It's strong stuff, but at least shooting it straight down, the burn isn't nearly as bad, and it tasted pretty damn good.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Love me some Old Forrester 1920 as well as Four Roses (small batch not single barrel)

Stagg Jr is another good one though you only need one for quality lubrication.

Overrated for me: Jefferson, Bakers, Defiant, Larceny.

Best Cheap: Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey Rye, EW 1793, Knob Creek Rye
Four Roses is very good.

Animal02

Banned
Whenever I go to South Carolina to see the parents I have a few shops I stop at. I like to keep a bottle of Elmer T Lee on hand if possible. Though sometimes its more of a conversation piece than anything since its so difficult to find (retail $35, sells on ebay for $125-$150), ive never seen it in NC.

The other good stuff I like to keep on hand is Whistle Pig 10/100 and Blantons, also rarely found in NC.

For my money, Basil Hadens is tough to beat.
Go to the Loiuisville game and you will have quite the choices.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When we win the NC. I’ll go for the 12 if we make the playoffs

upload_2018-6-27_21-44-24.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A number of us on the board (@Peacone36 ) are apt to imbibe a glass (or two) of Kentucky bourbon after a big win during football season. What is your favorite post game drink? Mine is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon. This not to be opened in the same room with a bottle of unopened Coca Cola. Maybe one cube of ice. Sip slowly and enjoy.

If you are always looking for something new, dig out one of your old Bob Dylan records while you're reading this:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/shelter-from-the-storm-a-review-of-bob-dylans-whiskey

A nice coca cola with lots of ice and the moisture condensing on the outside of the glass thank you very much. I have been around more (expletive deleted) drunks at football games than I care to remember including one SOB at a Tech - Alabama game that deliberately spilled his bourbon and coke on my mother. It was the 1962 upset of Alabama. Perhaps fortunately for him, he did not get to see the ending as my cousin cold cocked the bastard and the Atlanta police dragged his sorry Alabama *** out of the stands. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A nice coca cola with lots of ice and the moisture condensing on the outside of the glass thank you very much. I have been around more (expletive deleted) drunks at football games than I care to remember including one SOB at a Tech - Alabama game that deliberately spilled his bourbon and coke on my mother. It was the 1962 upset of Alabama. Perhaps fortunately for him, he did not get to see the ending as my cousin cold cocked the bastard and the Atlanta police dragged his sorry Alabama *** out of the stands. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I agree 100%. I have never consumed alcohol at a college football game. For what it's worth, I don't drink during games I watch in my den at home. But, I am prone to pour a wee dram or two after the game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Best Swarm thread ever.

I love some Woodford Reserve double and Dalmore Cigar Malt. For value my go to has been Eagle Rare, the other Buffalo Trace offerings I’ve tried haven’t quite matched it for flavor or smoothness. ER has gone up in price a bit since I first discovered it.

As for beers, seems like all the microbreweries are insane for hoppieness, I’m not a fan. Someone earlier mentioned chocolate stouts. Never thought I’d like flavored beers but I do like these. My absolute favorite chocolate stout is Samuel Smith’s. Samuel Smiths also does an excellent oatmeal stout.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Best Swarm thread ever.

I love some Woodford Reserve double and Dalmore Cigar Malt. For value my go to has been Eagle Rare, the other Buffalo Trace offerings I’ve tried haven’t quite matched it for flavor or smoothness. ER has gone up in price a bit since I first discovered it.

As for beers, seems like all the microbreweries are insane for hoppieness, I’m not a fan. Someone earlier mentioned chocolate stouts. Never thought I’d like flavored beers but I do like these. My absolute favorite chocolate stout is Samuel Smith’s. Samuel Smiths also does an excellent oatmeal stout.
I've had a couple Samuel Smith's beers but not those. Now on the list.

Though I rarely discriminate against types of beer, I agree IPA's are getting borderline silly now. I swear some people like them just so after first sip they can say "medium hops", "lots of hops", etc. as a way to impress someone.

Since you are ok with flavored beer, I am confident you would enjoy Boulder Beer Shake Chocolate Porter. Have a 6-pack in the fridge right now. It is fantastic and a perfect dessert/night cap.