Ga Tech Lubricant Thread

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Ayinger one those?

I normally keep the empty bottle of my favorite beers so I don’t forget. Unfortunately, I think I threw the two Hefeweizen bottles away. I guess I will have to sample them all again. Dang it!

Seriously though, I haven’t tried Ayinger’s Hefeweizen. I think one of them was Franziskaner. Do you recommend Ayinger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I normally keep the empty bottle of my favorite beers so I don’t forget. Unfortunately, I think I threw the two Hefeweizen bottles away. I guess I will have to sample them all again. Dang it!

Seriously though, I haven’t tried Ayinger’s Hefeweizen. I think one of them was Franziskaner. Do you recommend Ayinger?

If you like hefeweizens, I highly recommend Weihenstephaner. It’s consistently rated as one of the best hefes in the world.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you guys are interested there’s a very good Beer app called Untappd that you can keep a wish list of beers to try as well as keep a rating of beers you’ve had.

I think we might be able to creat a GTSwarm group on it as well.

Untappd - Discover Beer by Untappd, Inc https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/untappd-discover-beer/id449141888?mt=8
Going thru my head as well as the thread took a turn toward beer. I don't know how to create a group, but I'm in.

Ever had a Prairie Bomb? Or Old Rasputin? for those cold winter nights.
Old Rasputin is solid. I've had Old Prarie Christmas Bomb - really good - but not the regular Bomb.
Ayinger one those?

Ayinger Brauweisse is fantastic... and make sure it's a draft. Doesn't matter whether direct from brewery in Munich or in the US.
If you like hefeweizens, I highly recommend Weihenstephaner. It’s consistently rated as one of the best hefes in the world.
Agree, excellent. And it's showing up in more and more restaurants now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the best all around breweries in the U.S. where almost every beer is a hit
  • 3 Floyds (IN)
  • Tree House (MA)
  • Wicked Weed (NC)

Best in GA:
  • Scofflaw

Solely based on what I've had. Curious to hear other opinions.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of the best all around breweries in the U.S. where almost every beer is a hit
  • 3 Floyds (IN)
  • Tree House (MA)
  • Wicked Weed (NC)

Best in GA:
  • Scofflaw

Of the breweries I’ve been to, I think Three Taverns in Decatur is my favorite. They do a bit of everything, and they do it well. On a frigid winter night, their Heavy Bell (bourbon barrel-aged Belgian quad) warms the soul. On a hot summer day, I really like their Night in Brussels (Belgian IPA) or Prince of Pilsen (hoppy Pilsner).

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Well after poking around it appears the “Groups” offered are only internal and user specific. I’m sure there’s a way to make a bit and pull the api into a specific Untapped thread in the lounge but I’m not good enough at stuff like that to do it.

Since the topic seems to have turned to beer, I wonder if any of you have every tried or even seen this. About 15 years ago, I went to Gdansk, Poland, and they served a squirt of raspberry syrup in the beer there. It sounds awful, but it was actually very good. I can't remember now if they had any other additive choices or not, and that's the only place I have ever been that they did that.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
  • 3 Floyds (IN)
  • Tree House (MA)
  • Wicked Weed (NC)

Best in GA:
  • Scofflaw

Just got me a 6 pack of 3 Floyds Space Station Middle Finger, Robert the Bruce, Necron 99 and Lazer Snake. Love them all. And i live right by Founders.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since the topic seems to have turned to beer, I wonder if any of you have every tried or even seen this. About 15 years ago, I went to Gdansk, Poland, and they served a squirt of raspberry syrup in the beer there. It sounds awful, but it was actually very good. I can't remember now if they had any other additive choices or not, and that's the only place I have ever been that they did that.
I don’t know about raspberry syrup, but in France there’s an alcoholic syrup made from citrus fruits (comes in orange and lemon varieties) that gets poured into beer. It’s called Picon.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Berliner Weiss are often raspberry (Himberre) wheat beers. I'm guessing that's what they're going for.

Wheat beers mix well with citrus and make great summer beers.

Berliner Weiss are often raspberry (Himberre) wheat beers. I'm guessing that's what they're going for.

Wheat beers mix well with citrus and make great summer beers.
Pretty sure what I had in Gdansk was not a wheat beer. The only time I remember having a wheat beer, I thought it tasted like s**t. That may not be the general case, but it sure was for the one I had. The beer in Gdansk looked like any other non-wheat beer I have ever had.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really discriminate except that I can’t stand gin. Usually it’s beer, good red wine, or scotch. Macalan specifically...older the better, but 12 year is my go to...though I do have a 25 year I draw from on special occasions.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pretty sure what I had in Gdansk was not a wheat beer. The only time I remember having a wheat beer, I thought it tasted like s**t. That may not be the general case, but it sure was for the one I had. The beer in Gdansk looked like any other non-wheat beer I have ever had.
When I was working in Düsseldorf I discovered the northern German altbier that is very, very similar to the new craft brown ales available in NC. The tradition in the bars in Düsseldorf is that you order your first beer (about an 8 ounce glass) and it comes atop a brand new coaster. You do not have to order another beer. The waiter passes by your table an places another next to your glass if it's less than half full. You stop the process by placing the coaster on top of the glass. The altbier goes down so easy that you can get 5-6 beers down before the process shuts down. By then it's long walk back to your apartment.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t really discriminate except that I can’t stand gin. Usually it’s beer, good red wine, or scotch. Macalan specifically...older the better, but 12 year is my go to...though I do have a 25 year I draw from on special occasions.
My husband would agree with you on the Macalan. I gave him a bottle of 25 last year for Christmas and even I have to say it's pretty good.